• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Comics going further down the rabbit hole?

30 posts in this topic

All the crazy photos make the point of Batman being one of the pinnacle characters in comics today. Batman, Spider-man, Superman...

So what's it say about comics when DC does all this crazy weird stuff with Batman and it generates a few news reports? It's like fandom and pop-culture is so jaded, so used to bizarre retcons and nutty reboots, that it's eat what's served, yawn, may I have another?

All the crazy photos make the point of Batman being one of the pinnacle characters in comics today. Batman, Spider-man, Superman...

So what's it say about comics when DC does all this crazy weird stuff with Batman and it generates a few news reports? It's like fandom and pop-culture is so jaded, so used to bizarre retcons and nutty reboots, that it's eat what's served, yawn, may I have another?

Actually, if you just ignore what's going on in the press and just read Scott Snyder's Batman issue by issue, the consensus that I've gotten is that it's the best Batman's main title has been in years.

I don't always agree with the ideas I see DC put forth... uh... I hardly EVER agree with the ideas I see DC put forth, but it's still hard to argue with how well Batman has performed amidst all of it.

Still a top 5 title every month, over 100,000 copies sold and over the last two issues, #40, the finale of Endgame jumped 25,000 copies (!) and I expect the numbers on #41 to be even more.

Maybe it's not for everyone, but critically and commercially it's overwhelmingly accepted.

As for the rest of the DC Universe....

If it's well written and what audiences want, can't argue with that.

My reaction is 'lifelong fan' based, and wondering what DC is doing. Maybe they're doing Batman like Dr. Fate, where 'Batman' is just a Bat-mantle wearers pass around like a dusty heirloom. I don't know.

I read a lot of serial novels and if the main character was missing completely, even if it was the best novel ever, I'd feel a little hoodwinked. It's something else. Maybe something else that's good, but not what was ordered. Right? Jonesing for enchiladas and they deliver an encharito. Tasty, maybe, just not the real deal.

My reaction is 'lifelong fan' 'crotchety old-timer' based, and wondering what DC is doing.

I'll say this much for DC. They're not afraid to take their titles in a drastically different direction. I personally don't like a lot their superman and batman storylines recently. I did like Forever Evil, 3d Villains and Conergence. I just look at it as another reason to pick up issues from those eras where I liked those characters best.

In my opinion - and I know I'm by far in the minority - but I think Scott Snyder's run on Batman overall is bit overrated.

Despite the fact that the New 52 reboot seemed like an extreme gimmick, I started buying Batman. And initially, I thought the Court of Owls concept and storyline was awesome. I particularly liked the idea of buildings having a hidden 13th floor and that being the lair of the Talons.

But when they pulled the multi-issue crossover half-way through, I was a bit disappointed. I was really hoping DC would wait a year or two before pulling that stunt. And I thought it diluted the initial impact of the Owls a bit. I would have waited, have the Owls return a couple more times and become more established so when they finally did the crossover it would have more impact.

The last issue of that story was a real let-down for me. Just one issue-long bad guy monologue rant. Very disappointing.

The next two filler issues were ho-hum.

Then there was the next hyped event, the Death of the Family complete with rumors of a Bat-family member dying. The whole thing of Joker cutting his face off in Detective seemed way too extreme for me to begin with, that's why I never picked up that title. And I get that Joker is a homicidal maniac but I honestly felt like I was watching a SAW movie rather than reading a Batman comic. Way too over the top for me. And of course, despite the hype, nothing really substantive happens within that story. And then a couple of months later one character actually does get bumped off in another title. So again, DC pulls a bait-and-switch.

After that storyline I stopped buying the title. I do check out the TPB when we get them in at the library so I can keep reading them.

And it's the same thing: there's times when Snyder is good, really good. But it always seems like there's something that really keeps the story from being the complete package. As much as he's raved about, I have yet to read any of his stories where I say to myself "That's it. That's this generation's Year One" His stuff is good in parts, but never quite great.

I'll say this much for DC. They're not afraid to take their titles in a drastically different direction. I personally don't like a lot their superman and batman storylines recently. I did like Forever Evil, 3d Villains and Conergence. I just look at it as another reason to pick up issues from those eras where I liked those characters best.

Can`t they just do Batman and Superman stories without dragging all those other DC heroes into it?

I want to read about Batman in Gotham and Superman in Metropolis.

Constantly we have put up with year after year with Batman and Superman having to team up with some superhero we don`t care about.

It takes away from the Batman and Superman stories with these constant multi-universe superhero crossovers.

Memo to DC is just give us good Batman and Superman solo stories, and quit trying to sell us on C-list characters we have no interest in.