• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sony wants to expand Valiant comics

26 posts in this topic

I was never a big fan of Valiant comics...

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/23/8478129/sony-valiant-entertainment-film-deal-cinematic-universe

• How successful do you think these movies will be?

• Perhaps Sony should buy up Valiant, ala TimeWarner and Disney?

• Are Valiant comics worth speculating on?

Inquiring minds wanna know!

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/23/8478129/sony-valiant-entertainment-film-deal-cinematic-universe

Knowing how Sony handled their Marvel properties I'd be very concerned if I were a Valiant fan. :eek:

I mean, I'm a diehard Judge Dredd fan and I desperately want a dredd sequel, but if sony got it's dirty mitts on the rights I'd be banging my head up against a wall. :frustrated:

If the movies follow the relaunched titles (likely, to a certain extent, since there are five movies currently planned, two Harbinger and two Bloodshot, followed by a Harbinger Wars movie, and there were two storys arcs for each title before they crossed over in Harbinger Wars), then I would say that there's a good chance of success with the right people making them, because the stories are interesting.

The Valiant books are worth buying because they're well done. If you're interested in comics for more than their potential value then you can't go wrong buying the books, I think.

I was never a huge fan of X-O in the original incarnation. I really like what the new valiant has been doing with the character.

Knowing how Sony handled their Marvel properties I'd be very concerned if I were a Valiant fan. :eek:

Four years ago there were no Valiant comics. Nothing new. The company had basically been "dead" since 1996.

Now Valiant has a five movie deal with a studio that EVERYONE has heard of... and a nine-figure investment.

Should they have held out for a ten figure investment and their own studio/distribution? lol

Here are the highest average CGC book sales for Valiant since that April announcement:

http://www.valiantmarket.com/issue/averagecgcsales/60

That's really interesting. Is CGC hyper-stingy with 9.8 when it comes to Valiant? Does being popular 90s books bring extra scrutiny since so many were bagged, boarded and tucked away? In other words, are Valiants graded against each other? Seems like a lot of "1 sale" entries, even bumping data up to 1 year.

Early pre-unity Valiant is excellent material, so it's good to see they're still a fairly attainable niche, comparatively. In the broad overall history of comics Valiant is right up there, and time is only going to bear that out imho.

That's really interesting. Is CGC hyper-stingy with 9.8 when it comes to Valiant? Seems like a lot of "1 sale" entries, even bumping data up to 6 months. Does being popular 90s books bring extra scrutiny since so many were bagged, boarded and hoarded?

It depends on the book. There have been times that it has been nearly impossible to get a CGC 9.8 for Harbinger #1.

At other times in CGC history, it seemed like they were very easy to obtain.

The "1 sale" situation you mentioned is basically a reflection of the fact that Valiant buyers (before the announcement) were generally buying to hold.

I expect a number of new books to come to market that are currently in the queue at CGC... they're waiting for grading, then they'll be dumped on the market.

Many sellers will take advantage of these press releases and increase in popularity to offload some Valiant books once they're graded.

There aren't many Valiant fans (prior to the announcement) who are looking to offload their slabs.

The "flood" of new slabs on the market (if there is going to be a flood) will likely come from guys who don't care about Valiant and they're just cashing in.

The submissions will have to be from sellers who have not had their inventory available for the past 10 years or so.

Most dealers who have public shops have been relieved of their best Valiant books by collectors in the past 10 or 15 years.

Dealers may have lots of Valiant books left... but many are completely out of the books that matter.

They just don't know it yet. lol

If they put their Valiant in storage long ago... there might be some gems in those boxes that were only $5 or so 15 years ago.

What is the cost breakdown of getting a Valiant book graded? ??? Pressing costs, slab fees, months of hold time plus lotto scratch-off odds of getting 9.6s and 9.4s. Are they worth a shot? Or no? (shrug)

Very hard to say.

At this point, it's too late to be in the "first batch of slabs" that will be coming any day as a result of the April movie announcement.

Since we don't know whether that will be a trickle or a flood, we can't be confident about what would happen to the second batch.

My guess is that we'll see plenty of 9.8 copies of books like Bloodshot #6 (first Ninjak), but possibly not as many 9.8 copies of X-O Manowar #4 (first Shadowman - cameo).

Books like Eternal Warrior #4 (first Bloodshot, one page) sit somewhere in the middle.

If there are stacks of that book out there... it might be a flood...

But so far, the #4 book hasn't flooded the market the way Eternal Warrior #5 has.

Those two books are as close as you can get in terms of title and issue number...

but the 9.8 price of #4 is averaging $240, while the 9.8 price of #5 is around $30.

The average 9.8 price of #4 in 2014 was $50. So, that's a jump to $240 from $50.

It might be risky to assume EW #4 will remain $240, since it could dive toward the 2014 price with just a few extra 9.8s being made available.

It is very hard to sustain a five-fold increase, especially if the number of copies available increases.

On the other hand, if you pick up a raw/pressable 9.8 EW #4 from a $1 bin, it is very hard to lose... whether you get it slabbed or sell it raw.

I think this board is way too Valiant biased. Outside of comic readers exactly who has heard of Valiant or its characters. The movie better just be great because how else are they going to get a lot of people to want to see it.

Valiant isn't expecting a blockbuster movie.

They're only 1% of the comic market after putting out hundreds of books since 2012,

so why would they be at the same level as Marvel or DC with their very first movie?

Outside of comic readers, no one would have believed a walking tree and a talking raccoon would be successful movie either.

I think that dealers will be able to stock the key VH1 issues fairly easily if a broader customer base returns to demand it.

Example -- At AwesomeCon in DC last month three dealers were already fairly well-stocked in (raw) Valiant keys at reasonable (current market) prices. Harbinger 1, Solar 10, Magnus 12 and (weirdly) Unity 0 Red, x 2-8 apiece.

I bought a few Magnus 0s at $16 per but passed on X-O 4 at $20, Harbinger 1 at $50, as well as Solar 10 & EW 4 at $40. I considered buying all 8 copies of Unity Red for a bulk deal of $25 per, but passed since I've already got a few.

Point is, the books are out there.

I simply don't buy the narrative that the surviving books were largely damaged from neglect when during the 1999-2005 period when they were dead. If anything, the hardcore dealers and collectors from the 90s kept these books well-cared for.

And the key 1992 books were both cared-for and slabbed in decent numbers even before the movies announcement.

I think this board is way too Valiant biased. Outside of comic readers exactly who has heard of Valiant or its characters. The movie better just be great because how else are they going to get a lot of people to want to see it.

In this age that's probably a strength more than weakness. A chance to carve out a fresh 'new' niche in a world of sequels. Methodically build across movies, animation, games, statues, toys, swag, and yeah, comics.

Right? Think of the top level all time greats. Valiant is virtually untapped, and maybe Xenozoic Tales. What else at that level is still just sitting there? Planetary comes to mind. It's going to be a short list.

Again you are just a smidgen biased in your opinion considering your ID and all the work you have done with Valiant.

I would think your normal comic book fan or even passive fan would have a much different take.

I said that Valiant has 1% of the comic market and they're not expecting a blockbuster movie.

Both of those things are basically "negatives", so what did I say that's biased? (shrug)

Great point, well made.

More resource material for the future!

Valiant Comics Announces New Titles At Twitter's #ValiantSummit Event

Shamdasani then spoke about the relaunched Valiant's first original title, Divinity. Divinity is a brand-new character to the Valiant Universe; a Communist cosmonaut who gains superpowers while out in deep-space. With the powers of a god, he finally returns back to present-day Earth after his 30-year journey.

"Divinity is our first major push on a character," Shamdasani said.

Shamdasani said the book has been a massive success, revealing that Divinity #1 had just received its sixth printing.

Speaking of printings, Gorinson then announced Valiant's upcoming "One Dollar Debuts" intitative. Starting in November, Valiant will republish several of the first issues to the best titles for just one dollar.

"Valiant's number one priority is finding new readers and introducing them to the most acclaimed line-up of superhero titles on the stands today," Gorinson said. "With initiatives including one dollar reprints of our best jumping-on points, line-wide $9.99 volume one trade paperbacks, and generous incentives for retailers on all of Valiant's new series, we're creating a new legion of fans one reader a time."