• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ten Most Important X-Men Books

58 posts in this topic

Sorry Joe but although I agree with your assertions that 125 is the beginnings of Dark pheonix and therefore a prelude to the Saga... To say that the it's the official start of the saga is absolutely not true. In fact the way you have gone about belittling a fellow boardie for saying otherwise is just damn rude.

If it was, then surely the all of the official Marvel TPB's would start with 125 and not 129... (shrug)

Are there any collected editions that start with 125?

Sorry Joe but although I agree with your assertions that 125 is the beginnings of Dark pheonix and therefore a prelude to the Saga... To say that the it's the official start of the saga is absolutely not true. In fact the way you have gone about belittling a fellow boardie for saying otherwise is just damn rude.

If it was, then surely the all of the official Marvel TPB's would start with 125 and not 129... \(shrug\)

Really? Really? doh!

If you read the X-Men, you would know that although X-men 125 is clearly the start of the Dark Phoenix saga, the reason it's not in a TPB is because 125 is separated by the Mutant X story in 126-128. And even though there are Dark Phoenix sequences in 126-128, it doesn't fit as well as 129-137 into a "easy to digest package" format for the . Plus, more paper = higher cost.

But to use that as your basis for why 125 "isn't part of the Dark Phoenix saga" is pretty stupid, as what Marvel includes in a TPB are based more on cost, weight and packaging than anything else. Look at the Life of Captain Marvel or Warlock TPBs lot of content was cut and all the covers were deleted, so I guess none of those are important either. doh!

But hey, skip X-men 125-128 when encompassing the "Dark Phoenix Saga', no skin off my nose. Go crazy. :lol:

If it was, then surely the all of the official Marvel TPB's would start with 125 and not 129... \(shrug\)

Really? Really? doh!

If you read the X-Men, you would know that although X-men 125 is clearly the start of the Dark Phoenix saga, the reason it's not in a TPB is because 125 is separated by the Mutant X story in 126-128. And even though there are Dark Phoenix sequences in 126-128, it doesn't fit as well as 129-137 into a "easy to digest package" format for the . Plus, more paper = higher cost.

But to use that as your basis for why 125 "isn't part of the Dark Phoenix saga" is pretty stupid, as what Marvel includes in a TPB are based more on cost, weight and packaging than anything else. Look at the Life of Captain Marvel or Warlock TPBs lot of content was cut and all the covers were deleted, so I guess none of those are important either. doh!

But hey, skip X-men 125-128 when encompassing the "Dark Phoenix Saga', no skin off my nose. Go crazy. :lol:

Dude whatever keeps you happy in your mothers basement at night :facepalm:

I honestly don't care enough to continue this discussion with you meh

Dude whatever keeps you happy in your mothers basement at night

Mean-spirited, though incredibly well-deserved, reply deleted in the spirit of not turning the board into any more of a quagmire.

We also get an interlude with Moira, where she worries about Phoenix's extreme power levels, and the fact that she "could become akin to a God".

Is the page where Terry Austin snuck in Popeye?

Yep, around that orange alien's left hand.

Since Magneto is the title's main villain, any love for X-Men 150? I know most people ignore it because it's so common, but the most heinous act we've ever seen him perform is to sink the Russian submarine Leningrad and kill everyone aboard. For many, many years, that was the act that defined him as a villain.

We also get an interlude with Moira, where she worries about Phoenix's extreme power levels, and the fact that she "could become akin to a God".

Is the page where Terry Austin snuck in Popeye?

Yep, around that orange alien's left hand.

I read some where that either Byrne or Claremont weren't to thrill with that stunt.

Thanks OP for this thread. Xmen are my favorite. This is very informational.

From what I have learned in my short time collecting, my top 10 books

Xmen 1

GSXM 1

Xmen 4

Xmen 12

Xmen 14

Xmen 50

Xmen 94 (i hate that cover, but I know it's a key even though it's not their first app)

Xmen 101

Xmen 141

Hulk 181

If you want to have a copper book why not NM 98? Far more significant a book than the 1991 x men 1.

How about X-Men 266?

v

If non-Xmen titles qualify, why not include Ironfist 14? Maybe they should all be excluded, including Hulk 181. :baiting:

Then delete GSX1, as well. Not an X-men book. Just sayin. Pot stirred. Happy 4th all!

If you want to have a copper book why not NM 98? Far more significant a book than the 1991 x men 1.

How about X-Men 266?

v

If non-Xmen titles qualify, why not include Ironfist 14? Maybe they should all be excluded, including Hulk 181. :baiting:

Then delete GSX1, as well. Not an X-men book. Just sayin. Pot stirred. Happy 4th all!

It is a Xmen book, hence the xmen in the title (shrug) Pot is simmering.

For the record the original (and unaltered) criteria allowed the inclusion of non x-men books like Hulk 181 - but I stressed that what mattered was the overall importance to the x-men and not just how important a character is.

So a book like Hulk 181 is obviously a very important book as it contains the first appearance of a key member of the x-men - whereas a book like NM98 is a key book and more popular than x-men 101 (for instance) but it is not very important to the x-men overall. Same thing with IF14, a key book but much more important to Wolverine than to the x-men IMO.

If the criteria is importance to the X-Men, then it seems like a pretty easy list to make:

1. X-Men 1 (intro and 1st App. of X-Men and Magneto)

2. GS X-Men 1 (intro and 1st App. of New X-Men and Magneto)

3. IH 180/181/182 (intro and 1st App. of Wolverine)

4. X-Men 94 (commences New X-Men series)

5. X-Men 101 (intro and 1st App. of Phoenix)

6. X-Men 108 (commences greatest artistic run on X-Men)

7. X-Factor 1 (return of original X-Men)

8. X-Men 14 (intro and 1st App. Sentinels)

9. X-Men 132(last panels)/133 (establishment of modern Wolverine)

10. X-Men 109/120/121 (intro and 1st App. of Alpha Flight - first X-Men spin off mutant group)

Honorable Mention:

X-Men 150 (intro of the new kinder gentler Magneto)

Amazing Adventures 11 (new Beast)

X-Men 56 (commences second greatest artistic run on X-Men)

X-Men 4 (intro and 1st App of Brotherhood)

X-Men 137 (death of Phoenix -- import diminished by subsequent events)

X-Men 141/140 (future)

If the criteria is importance to the X-Men, then it seems like a pretty easy list to make:

1. X-Men 1 (intro and 1st App. of X-Men and Magneto)

2. GS X-Men 1 (intro and 1st App. of New X-Men and Magneto)

3. IH 180/181/182 (intro and 1st App. of Wolverine)

4. X-Men 94 (commences New X-Men series)

5. X-Men 101 (intro and 1st App. of Phoenix)

6. X-Men 108 (commences greatest artistic run on X-Men)

7. X-Factor 1 (return of original X-Men)

8. X-Men 14 (intro and 1st App. Sentinels)

9. X-Men 132(last panels)/133 (establishment of modern Wolverine)

10. X-Men 109/120/121 (intro and 1st App. of Alpha Flight - first X-Men spin off mutant group)

Honorable Mention:

X-Men 150 (intro of the new kinder gentler Magneto)

Amazing Adventures 11 (new Beast)

X-Men 56 (commences second greatest artistic run on X-Men)

X-Men 4 (intro and 1st App of Brotherhood)

X-Men 137 (death of Phoenix -- import diminished by subsequent events)

X-Men 141/140 (future)

I like this list !