• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Ultimate Dennis the Menace Thread
5 5

1,648 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2024 at 11:14 AM, mlansdown said:

My Dennis 1 is a pretty average copy with good centering.  It's challenging to find this issue where the 10c price is not wrapped around the spine.  I do have another copy of Dennis 1 currently at CGC right now that might give me a little grade bump over my current copy.  This book is frequently chipped around the edges and the paper has a strong propensity to tan.  There are some nice copies available in the 6.0 - 7.5 range but I've never seen a really great example of this book.  The hunt continues!

Dennis the Menace 1 CGC 4.0 OW.jpg

Dennis the Menace 1 CGC 4.0 OW (Back).jpg

Is your pic a scan or photo of the book?  I've noticed that my scanner has trouble with certain colors and shades of colors.  I need to pull my copy and see how it matches with the scan.  I'm sure my scan is off a bit on the greens, and the grays.  The gray on your copy seems to have a little blue in it, and it is darker.  My scanner did not pick up the blue at all...it's so frustrating...

On 9/15/2024 at 2:41 PM, Tri-Color Brian said:

Is your pic a scan or photo of the book?  I've noticed that my scanner has trouble with certain colors and shades of colors.  I need to pull my copy and see how it matches with the scan.  I'm sure my scan is off a bit on the greens, and the grays.  The gray on your copy seems to have a little blue in it, and it is darker.  My scanner did not pick up the blue at all...it's so frustrating...

I use a Microtek ScanMaker i800 to scan all of my books.  I also use an application called VueScan to run the scanner.  This combination handles the complexities of scanning CGC slabs better than any other combination I've tried.  

On 9/15/2024 at 2:01 PM, mlansdown said:

I use a Microtek ScanMaker i800 to scan all of my books.  I also use an application called VueScan to run the scanner.  This combination handles the complexities of scanning CGC slabs better than any other combination I've tried.  

Thanks.  I pulled my copy and looked at it carefully.  I put the scan into photoshop and matched the colors as best I could.  It's about 98% accurate now...although you might not see much of a difference...lol

16370647787_ed6f655e29_b.jpg

On 9/17/2024 at 3:45 PM, Jim Fisher said:

These are not great photos, but it will at least add to the ongoing discussion.

DTM 1 - CGC 7.5, and yes, finding the 10c not on the spine is a challenge. I do know for a fact that there are a couple extremely nice copies of this issue still around. I have seen at least 2 (non-slabbed) 8.0 or higher in my travels.

DTM 3 - last page of “What’s Cookin’” I believe.

DTM 23 - cover. I also have from this issue the 10 page “Bookworm” story, the 4 page Chub story, and the 6 page story (can’t remember the name) where Dennis uses all the next door construction wood to make a club house.

More later…

IMG_3439.jpeg

IMG_6434.jpeg

photo.jpeg

I absolutely love your original cover art for Dennis 23.  You have no idea how happy this makes me to know that another Dennis cover still survives!

Would love to see your other original Dennis artwork as well.  Thanks Jim!

Two more originals:

DTM Sunday 10-11-1953 - This strip is one of those pieces that makes me smile every time I look at it. It’s just jam-packed with Wiseman-isms; the overall cinematic design of the “shot” selection, the silhouette panels, the multi-face head spin, etc. Truly a marvel, and if anything DTM needs to have quality reprints, it’s the 1952-1960 Sundays. Other than a few in the Pocket-Full-of-Fun books, most of these have never been seen again since there original press run 70+ years ago.

DTM Daily 9-20-1951 - An early Ketchum panel with a cute gag. One of the first pieces of original art I purchased from a classified ad in the Comic Buyer’s Guide for Comic Fandom (!) circa. 1982. I didn’t realize it at the time, but later when eBay came along, I realized that this piece was used for the box cover art for the 1952 aluminum foil ashtrays. HA! Talk about a bizarre, but completely appropriate for its time, licensing deal.

IMG_2250.jpeg

IMG_2274.jpeg