• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is wrong at DC Comics...

45 posts in this topic

I don't follow all the new releases as closely as many of you, but I do follow the #s (i.e. Comichron) and I am left wondering... How much longer before a regime change is in order at DC? Didio, or Jim Lee, or both?

They have great characters, but seems to be in an unsustainable nose dive.

Also, I don't see the new B vs. S movie doing them any favors. Very dark.

I am always interested in what the diehard fans, readers and collectors think.

So, what is the scuttlebutt?

I enjoy reading DC much more than reading Marvel these days. I think their ideas are fresher. Comichron is skewed in my opinion for those comics or gimmicks that could-be-hot.

I think the DC movies with the exception of the Dark Knight are not as good as the Marvel movies in general at the moment.

I don't follow all the new releases as closely as many of you, but I do follow the #s (i.e. Comichron) and I am left wondering... How much longer before a regime change is in order at DC? Didio, or Jim Lee, or both?

Sheesh, where do I begin?

The numbers don't tell the complete picture. DC comics has had 2 titles that are perennial top 10 titles with Justice League and Batman for over 3 years now. Marvel has had to renumber titles yearly to keep titles at the top of the charts. Marvel also received a HUGE boost from Star Wars. Without Star Wars this year, Marvel wouldn't be so far ahead of DC and might have even trailed DC for several months.

I don't think DC execs sees any of this as a problem.

Agreed on the comics. And full disclosure i only 'casually' read new releases but keep in the loop through various issue synopsis sites.

The first sign was the removal of Superman's iconic shorts (i have gripped about this in numerous 'blogs', but seem to get no 'back up' on this) lol Doesn't anyone else feel the changing of an over 70 year plus iconic 'image' for potential points in 'cool' is just wrong? That some things should be left 'untouched' with only the 'modest' of tweaks? This to me would be like going into my local supermarket and seeing Coke had changed their bottles to blue from red. (though i feel it looks 'okay' in the current DC movies, even after years of it being established in the 'New 52' every time i see Superman now, he just looks 'incomplete'.)

All this new multiverse stuff every few years(or months!!)is just crazy.

As for BvS, i think this will do gangbusters, and that if it delivers, it will be the new superhero movie all time box office champ. You can throw together any combination of superheros you want, you will find no bigger pairing for a movie reaching mass audiences (fan boys and non fan boys alike)that could drum up interest to go out and see. They are the two biggest of all times. If it's good, they will prove and solidify that with the haul it will take in. Having the most popular female super hero of all time making her big screen bow in it too just seals the deal!

Agreed on the comics. And full disclosure i only 'casually' read new releases but keep in the loop through various issue synopsis sites.

The first sign was the removal of Superman's iconic shorts (i have gripped about this in numerous 'blogs', but seem to get no 'back up' on this) lol Doesn't anyone else feel the changing of an over 70 year plus iconic 'image' for potential points in 'cool' is just wrong? That some things should be left 'untouched' with only the 'modest' of tweaks? This to me would be like going into my local supermarket and seeing Coke had changed their bottles to blue from red. (though i feel it looks 'okay' in the current DC movies, even after years of it being established in the 'New 52' every time i see Superman now, he just looks 'incomplete'.)

As for BvS, i think this will do gangbusters, and that if it delivers, it will be the new superhero movie all time box office champ. You can throw together any combination of superheros you want, you will find no bigger pairing for a movie reaching mass audiences (fan boys and non fan boys alike)that could drum up interest to go out and see. They are the two biggest of all times. If it's good, they will prove and solidify that with the haul it will take in. Having the most popular female super hero of all time making her big screen bow in it too just seals the deal!

You, of course, are right about the movie.

I am probably over thinking it.

The only way I see BvS being topped is if Warner/Disney were to produce a Batman/Spider-Man movie. Then I can see a comic movie that will make bigger dollars.

I consider myself a life-long 'diehard' DC fan. And if I thought DC had something worth reading I would.

My opinion is DC dumped its "core" in favor of marketing to every pop sub-niche it can identify. "There's a Universe for that " seems to be the current motto and any character is available for adaptation. Followed up with all the accompanying chotchkies, toys, statues and variant covers you could shake a wallet at.

So I miss Superman and DCU stories, true, but I have 70 years of material to fall back on. And someday that Nehru collared unitard will end up on DC's massive crapheap of short-gain shiny ideas.

The numbers don't tell the complete picture. DC comics has had 2 titles that are perennial top 10 titles with Justice League and Batman for over 3 years now. Marvel has had to renumber titles yearly to keep titles at the top of the charts. Marvel also received a HUGE boost from Star Wars. Without Star Wars this year, Marvel wouldn't be so far ahead of DC and might have even trailed DC for several months.

I don't think DC execs sees any of this as a problem.

Marvel has had more than just that going for it.

Secret Wars is crushing Convergence even though it's essentially almost the same idea... DC's art direction, marketing, covers, story, everything was pretty bland for it.

ASM's Spider-Verse was a huge hit, Spider-Gwen was huge hit and averaged over 100,000 for the 5 issues it had and I think Silk averaged over 70,000.

Your correct in saying Marvel has benefitted in rebooting many of these titles, but DC just rebooted their entire line 3 years ago and are doing it for JLA again now...

And some of the choices DC makes... Bat-Mite? Bizarro? Are they throwing darts at a board?

They should incorporate some of Grant Morrison's multiversity characters into their universe to shake things up a bit... Instead it looks like they lost him to Heavy Metal Magazine.

As a CEO has Jim Lee ever made anything really work? Nice guy, but... Not sure he should be the boss there....

Marvel has their stuff together. This reboot in October is going to be a MONSTER.

Stock up retailers - in sales, it's going to make the New 52 reboot look sick in comparison.

I am usually very resistant against change, but when it comes to costumes, I am more flexible. I wouldn't expect a superhero to keep the same costume forever, and lets be honest, that red underwear just doesnt translate very well to the modern world.

Bugs Bunny has been one of my favorite characters since a small toddler, and look how much he has changed in your very own sigline! :D

Only a return to these type stories can save them

jimmy088kryptonCrawl.jpg

lol of course you now know this is going on my want list....no, seriously..

Seriously those JO comics are classic and the Swan art is top notch. This is one of the all time best:

Jimmy_Olsen_Vol_1_107.jpg