• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are there any interest on old romance comics?

21 posts in this topic

Wondering if there is much interest on old romance comics around here? I got email from someone with a list of titles. Most are in range by year 1959-1965, most seems to be Chartlons. In titles are: Teen Confessions # 10, 16, 17, 18. Sweethearts # 64, 65. Secrets of Young Brides # 24, 29, 30. Romantic secrets 38. Stories of Brides in Love # 30. Young Love # 3. Young Romance #2, 3. Nurse Betsy Crane # 14. Teenage Confidential Confessions # 12. Girls Romance # 119.

Most are said to be mid-grade. So, I really don't know much with these theme ... But I did remember had read that certain known artists did their work in there. Anyone have advice or feedback on these books?

I'm only doing to find out if I can sell them after I buy from the person. That is all. Thanks for reading!

Does he have Daring Love #1? (Ditko's first work)

Cause that's worth a bundle....

Does he have Daring Love #1? (Ditko's first work)

Cause that's worth a bundle....

No, the person only has 17 comics as listed sent by email to me. That is it.

Tried read 18 pages, got tired already lol. Well, I suppose if Kav thinks they are $10-20 books ... I'll have to take him for his word.

without seeing them..i dunno if the mid-60s 12 centers are $10-$20 books, but it will depend on condition, issue, the cover, etc. I think.

I sold a stack of late (1959-61) 10 cent cover price ones here that were in nice shape...average grade about a VF or so... and got about 60-65% of guide here...so not what Marvel or DC VF super hero/pre-hero type books get, but not a bad price overall.

Charlton romance books are the nadir of collectibility. Even their early issues aren't worth much.

Mid-grade 60s Charltons will sit in boxes at $2 each forever.

There are some exceptions, obviously. There are some Elvis covers or "Beatles" appearances that are more desirable. But for the most part, they're the equivalent of Charlton war books from the 60s. Blech,

As far as the Young Love and Young Romance, they are likely later volumes (Prize/Crestwood would do volumes, so there are maybe six different #3s of Young Love and more for Young Romance); those values depend on how early they are. They are okay sellers, but it all depends on what the actual issues are.

Charlton romance books are the nadir of collectibility. Even their early issues aren't worth much.

There are some exceptions, obviously. There are some Elvis covers or "Beatles" appearances that are more desirable. But for the most part, they're the equivalent of Charlton war books from the 60s. Blech,

I think collectors of this genre are probably putting their money into filling in the 10 cent cover price issues first, and then the harder to find mid-70s issues next, before devoting cash to the 12 - 20 cent cover price issues.

of course, anything with a 10 cent cover price seems more interesting

True Life Secrets have some interesting covers that's about it!

This weekend I will meet with the fellow to take a look in his comics. Here are the pictures featuring the books. Do you see any that stand out worth the value?

Romance%20Old%20Comics%202_zpsk8wxmkdk.jpg

Romance%20Old%20Comics_zpsxhjjsfpu.jpg

How many 10 centers?

I think it could do better than $15-$20 depending on the # of 10 centers in there provided they are scanned in a way people can see them. i know it sounds dumb, but psychologically there is a big difference between a 10 cent cover price from 1961 and a 12 center from 1963

and i see a DC in there. i think DC and atlas/marvel do a bunch better than charlton.

Keep in mind lots of romance books frequently sell on ebay pretty cheap. Like 10 books for $9 some times

There's one DC -- from 1967 -- and three Prize/Crestwoods (from just before DC took over publication of Young Romance/Young Love). The rest are Charltons.

Even 10-cent Charltons don't sell.

I mean, they guide in mid-grade in the $5-$10 range, but nobody is paying that. Just looking at completed auctions, books are selling in the range of 99-cents to $5 each. If you put them in a lot, they're selling for anywhere from $1 to $3 each.

They don't look half bad, so maybe you'll get more.

I mean, it all depends on how much you're willing to work and how much you have to pay. Do you want to list them individually? Are you willing to put up a bigger BIN price and have to re-list them a few times?

There's one DC -- from 1967 -- and three Prize/Crestwoods (from just before DC took over publication of Young Romance/Young Love). The rest are Charltons.

Even 10-cent Charltons don't sell.

I mean, they guide in mid-grade in the $5-$10 range, but nobody is paying that. Just looking at completed auctions, books are selling in the range of 99-cents to $5 each. If you put them in a lot, they're selling for anywhere from $1 to $3 each.

They don't look half bad, so maybe you'll get more.

I mean, it all depends on how much you're willing to work and how much you have to pay. Do you want to list them individually? Are you willing to put up a bigger BIN price and have to re-list them a few times?

hm You made a good agurment by point. As a vendor, I don't want have these kind of comics in a box forever waiting to be sold at full guide prices. Nor do I have any meat by selling at $2.00-3.00 ea.