• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tight Grader . . Loose Grader . . Does it matter if the price is the same?

38 posts in this topic

I'm gonna list a book that's like 9.4 and call it a 3.0 and state 'tight grading' just for the kudos I'll receive.

The price is the grade.

Winnah!

I ignore the stated grade and make my own assessment, so it doesn't matter if they are loose or tight. The only thing I rely on from the seller is that all pages are present / nothing has been clipped. Maybe if they say it has no resto I rely on that to some extent, but even then I always try and check myself though that is very difficult in a scan.

I think if you are a fair grader, you should be a fair pricer (yes I made up that word;)..in other words, if I look at a book that I think is a VG, I'm going to price it as a VG, even if 6 other people are going to think it's a VG/F. If I thought it was a VG/F, I'd price it as a VG/F.

If I'm on the fence, maybe I'll say it might be better...on the the fence however, is not enough for me to go to the next price range.

What I might do is to discount it less than I might a book that was a lower VG, than a better looking VG.

I could never see the point of saying you are a "tight grader" ...the grade should just be the grade you think the book is. If you think it's higher, grade it that way, just be fair.

I met my husband when I was 19, I've never looked at a singles website in my life, lol.

However, I don't think his post was about grading tighter, it was about someone who claims to be a "tight" grader, so they grade a book one way and price it as if it's a higher grade.

When we say loose grader, we're talking about someone who overgrades, right? Overgraders grade tightly too, except they usually miss high.

So my question is does it matter if the seller is slightly loose or very strict as long as the grader is consistent in their grading? If you buy a Hulk 105 for $50 and its advertised as a VF/NM from a known slightly loose grader and you could buy the exact same book from a very strict seller as a VF for $50 which would you pick? And lets say the book would come back from CGC a VF+ 80% of the time and a CGC 8.5 (minus grading fees) is $50. So in all three instances it's the same book that is "worth" $50 - which do you chose and why?

Same book? I buy from the tight grader.

1) You're buying peace of mind, as well as a comic. I know I got what I paid for, or better. When you buy an overgraded book, you worry how much it was overgraded. Examining the book is never a happy occasion.

2) Consistent overgrading is not something I like to encourage.

3) I agree with the poster who said an overgraded book is often sold at the higher price. You usually have to negotiate the price down to what the price is supposed to be, and I can't be bothered most of the time.

I may be opening a can of worms but I'm generally interested in the topic so that means a thread is born.

I see a bunch of sellers advertise their grades as extra tight which translates in most cases to mean even tighter then CGC grades. But these people tend to have prices which are fairly high for the grade which makes sense if the book they are selling is undergraded.

So my question is does it matter if the seller is slightly loose or very strict as long as the grader is consistent in their grading? If you buy a Hulk 105 for $50 and its advertised as a VF/NM from a known slightly loose grader and you could buy the exact same book from a very strict seller as a VF for $50 which would you pick? And lets say the book would come back from CGC a VF+ 80% of the time and a CGC 8.5 (minus grading fees) is $50. So in all three instances it's the same book that is "worth" $50 - which do you chose and why?

I'm not sure your question even makes sense to me. I've always been a condition collector, so am trying for NM/NM- . So if the book is advertised as that condition, and arrives in less than that condition, the pricing part is only a minor part of the unhappiness.

Having deslabbed hundreds of books, any expectation of grading consistency from CGC is laughable. In my experience, most of the reputable dealers here are more consistent, and I echo a previous poster's statement that I probably don't even need a scan from them - if they're calling a book NM or NM- there is a 99% chance I'll agree with them.

So you want to buy from dealers who grade their books tighter then CGC? If CGC is the standard then I think it would be pretty much the goal of almost all dealers to be in line with CGC as much as possible since they then would be matching the standard. I've always been confused by the notion of grading books much tighter then the standard (which some people on the boards do all the time).

Nope. Several thoughts there. CGC is not consistent. If I buy a book that is NM or NM- that is what I wanted - the price is of little consequence - it is the book I wanted. I want NM or NM- books. Some dealers here are more consistent than CGC in assigning the proper grade.

If I buy from someone once, I will have an opinion as to their grade. I will like it or not, maybe with live with a low grade if the price was right. But mostly, I want consistency. Someone might undergrade according to me, but if they consistently undergrade, to where, for example, I might say that their VF is my VF- or F/VF, then I can live with that if the pricing is good. I just want to know what that guy considers a VF, and then I can judge the price and have a good idea on what I am likely to receive.

When we say loose grader, we're talking about someone who overgrades, right? Overgraders grade tightly too, except they usually miss high.

Same book? I buy from the tight grader.

1) You're buying peace of mind, as well as a comic. I know I got what I paid for, or better. When you buy an overgraded book, you worry how much it was overgraded. Examining the book is never a happy occasion.

2) Consistent overgrading is not something I like to encourage.

3) I agree with the poster who said an overgraded book is often sold at the higher price. You usually have to negotiate the price down to what the price is supposed to be, and I can't be bothered most of the time.

I see your point but isn't there some worry when you buy from an ultra tight seller also. They say a books is a FN/VF but the scans look VF/NM and maybe the books is a VF/VF+ graded by CGC so how much do you pay for the book? You could pay VF prices in the hope his grading is always ultra tight but what if he comes back to reality on a couple books and you overpaid. If the tight seller is willing to sell the book for standard FN/VF prices grab it but I'd guess a dealer already has this guy on speed dial and buys his books the second they become available.

I may be opening a can of worms but I'm generally interested in the topic so that means a thread is born.

I see a bunch of sellers advertise their grades as extra tight which translates in most cases to mean even tighter then CGC grades. But these people tend to have prices which are fairly high for the grade which makes sense if the book they are selling is undergraded.

I'm not sure your question even makes sense to me. I've always been a condition collector, so am trying for NM/NM- . So if the book is advertised as that condition, and arrives in less than that condition, the pricing part is only a minor part of the unhappiness.

Having deslabbed hundreds of books, any expectation of grading consistency from CGC is laughable. In my experience, most of the reputable dealers here are more consistent, and I echo a previous poster's statement that I probably don't even need a scan from them - if they're calling a book NM or NM- there is a 99% chance I'll agree with them.

So you want to buy from dealers who grade their books tighter then CGC? If CGC is the standard then I think it would be pretty much the goal of almost all dealers to be in line with CGC as much as possible since they then would be matching the standard. I've always been confused by the notion of grading books much tighter then the standard (which some people on the boards do all the time).

Nope. Several thoughts there. CGC is not consistent. If I buy a book that is NM or NM- that is what I wanted - the price is of little consequence - it is the book I wanted. I want NM or NM- books. Some dealers here are more consistent than CGC in assigning the proper grade.

"Proper" is defined by Overstreet Grading Guide? By the dealers who are more consistent than CGC? The guy who asked the question on the boards about grading since he didn't like a NM- book to have 1 spine tick? Personal taste and opinion? What is "proper" for a given grade varies by grader to the point three expert professional graders have to look at a book before it gets a CGC grade (which you say is still inconsistent).

I know these grading questions have been around way before CGC started up but now its gotten borderline crazy how polarized the marketplace is in terms of grading.

To me, no one is perfect, but you do have the ones that hit the nail on the head every time with their grades. If there is a book that i want i usually look on here first before i buy it anywhere else. I think if you are looking for a decent NM copy on sale why not try a comic book forum sale thread. It's so much easier, less hassle, no extra fees, and your helping out your boardies. But like oakman29 said...

There are some sellers who grade so well that I am more than willing to buy raw at CGC prices.

I see your point but isn't there some worry when you buy from an ultra tight seller also. They say a books is a FN/VF but the scans look VF/NM and maybe the books is a VF/VF+ graded by CGC so how much do you pay for the book? You could pay VF prices in the hope his grading is always ultra tight but what if he comes back to reality on a couple books and you overpaid. If the tight seller is willing to sell the book for standard FN/VF prices grab it but I'd guess a dealer already has this guy on speed dial and buys his books the second they become available.

I am not a dealer but you should never assume my books are undergraded. If you do, you are overgrading. :shy:

To me, no one is perfect, but you do have the ones that hit the nail on the head every time with their grades. If there is a book that i want i usually look on here first before i buy it anywhere else. I think if you are looking for a decent NM copy on sale why not try a comic book forum sale thread. It's so much easier, less hassle, no extra fees, and your helping out your boardies. But like oakman29 said...

There are some sellers who grade so well that I am more than willing to buy raw at CGC prices.

Unless the book is crazy hard to find or you mean minus grading fees I don't see the value in buying ungraded books at graded prices. If you mean they grade so "well" they are consistently several grades lower then CGC then I don't blame you for paying CGC graded prices for raw books.

I found a guy years ago who makes me very happy. He offers an F/VF, I happily pay F/VF, knowing there's a chance I'll get better. I don't need to ask for discounts, I'm always happy with what I get. He decides to sell a book over guide? Sure, I trust him. If, by chance, I overpay on one book, I know I've more than gotten my value back in previous purchases.

The guys that overgrade is a different story. No matter what you pay for an overgraded book, you're going to walk away thinking "dang, this dude doesn't know how to grade." No confidence in guys like that, I need a discount to account for the overgrade, and also for any additional defects he may have missed. Too much work.

I found a guy years ago who makes me very happy. He offers an F/VF, I happily pay F/VF, knowing there's a chance I'll get better. I don't need to ask for discounts, I'm always happy with what I get. He decides to sell a book over guide? Sure, I trust him. If, by chance, I overpay on one book, I know I've more than gotten my value back in previous purchases.

The guys that overgrade is a different story. No matter what you pay for an overgraded book, you're going to walk away thinking "dang, this dude doesn't know how to grade." No confidence in guys like that, I need a discount to account for the overgrade, and also for any additional defects he may have missed. Too much work.

Good points.

I hate wasting my time.

So unless it's keys where I know the price can flux - I'll go with the tight grader every time.

I usually half way expect people to be off 1–.5 of a grade that they list.

When they over grade more than that I get pizzed!

:flamed: