• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading THEN cracking...anybody do this?

64 posts in this topic

Remember guys, he is NOT asking whether you buy a slab and then crack it out (as a lot of people d) but if you send one of your own raw books to CGC, and then immediately crack it out just to have the label and the grade certification.

To me, that's a huge waste of time and money, and I have cracked out slabs, but to each his own.

Yes, and that's not even mentioning the risk involved.

Risk? Like maybe you were totally unaware that you were sitting on a restored or trimmed book for the past 10 years? Now that would be risky too.

Remember guys, he is NOT asking whether you buy a slab and then crack it out (as a lot of people d) but if you send one of your own raw books to CGC, and then immediately crack it out just to have the label and the grade certification.

To me, that's a huge waste of time and money, and I have cracked out slabs, but to each his own.

Yes, and that's not even mentioning the risk involved.

Risk? Like maybe you were totally unaware that you were sitting on a restored or trimmed book for the past 10 years? Now that would be risky too.

What's the "risk" there? Is it enjoying your nice book for years, then being a bit disappointed if you discover that it's not quite as nice as you believed?

I was thinking more about the myriad things that could damage or destroy your book while it's out of your possession and control, even if they aren't likely to happen..

Well what if you spend $3K on a book or even $1k only to find out years later that it was restored and trimmed. It's value would plummet and any chances of recourse from the seller is long gone. If CGC damages your book then they would have to compensate you. Plus its a lot easier selling a deslabbed graded book than a raw book that has never been professionally reviewed.

The reward(s) out weigh the potential risks.

Well what if you spend $3K on a book or even $1k only to find out years later that it was restored and trimmed. It's value would plummet and any chances of recourse from the seller is long gone. If CGC damages your book then they would have to compensate you. Plus its a lot easier selling a deslabbed graded book than a raw book that has never been professionally reviewed.

If all you need is a restoration check, there are cheaper and, in my opinion , better ways to have that done.

I buy books for my collection, so if it is slabbed, I break it out to store in mylar and fullbacks. It's probably going to stay in my collection for some time.

I scan the book in the inner well, front and back, and then scan it raw. I keep the label. This is enough of a provence trail for me -- for both grade and lack of restoration.

I might add that breaking books out does help one's grading skills (thumbs u though it occasionally draws attention to the inconsistencies of grade and paper quality. :sumo:

Oh, I also read the comic book. There's nothing quite as satisfying as reading something in its original state -- first printing paperbacks and hardbacks included. :whee:

I have a question about this very topic.

I bought a golden age book with restoration (slight, graded CGC 6.0 restored). This will be a book for my personal collection and I have no intentions of flipping it. This will be my first slabbed book but I was toying with the thought of cracking it out to put on display.

1) Does the CGC holder help preserve the book or does it do nothing that a mylar bag would not do?

2) If I did want to sell it in the future and advertised with the restored label, would the market value be affected by it being out of the slab?

If all you need is a restoration check, there are cheaper and, in my opinion , better ways to have that done.

Maybe but it will pay off when it comes time to resell the book.

How?

I bought a golden age book with restoration (slight, graded CGC 6.0 restored). This will be a book for my personal collection and I have no intentions of flipping it. This will be my first slabbed book but I was toying with the thought of cracking it out to put on display.

1) Does the CGC holder help preserve the book or does it do nothing that a mylar bag would not do? The outer shell provides a bit more protection, but is it worth the extra space

2) If I did want to sell it in the future and advertised with the restored label, would the market value be affected by it being out of the slab?

A deslabbed book is a deslabbed book. Its no better than a raw book to 99.5% of the potential buyers.

1) Does the CGC holder help preserve the book or does it do nothing that a mylar bag would not do? The outer shell provides a bit more protection, but is it worth the extra space

A deslabbed book is a deslabbed book. Its no better than a raw book to 99.5% of the potential buyers.

I disagree for the most part. I'm not a high-grade/dollar collector, so when I see a book for sale that is former CGC, and I trust the seller, the label means every bit as much as if I bought it slabbed. Maybe more since I don't have to crack it myself.

I'm sure I would feel different if I were buying a 5K book, but I have yet to break 2K. The vast majority of my collection sits around $200-$300+/-, so a label, when offered, adds something to the purchase. (for me)

Maybe I'm the .5%. (but I would be highly surprised to find that theother 99.5% don't find some value in having a blue label vs. no label given the same grade/same book) :baiting:

How?

It will give the buyers some level of confidence that 1) it is unrestored and 2) the grade is accurate. Generally speaking, saying it has been proofed for resto and then giving an opinion on its grade in its raw state would seem like a tougher sell, no? (shrug) Which option would you prefer to buy from if the same two books were listed on EBay?

How?

It will give the buyers some level of confidence that 1) it is unrestored and 2) the grade is accurate. Generally speaking, saying it has been proofed for resto and then giving an opinion on its grade in its raw state would seem like a tougher sell, no? (shrug) Which option would you prefer to buy from if the same two books were listed on EBay?

From an unknown seller, both would be equally useless.

I disagree for the most part. I'm not a high-grade/dollar collector, so when I see a book for sale that is former CGC, and I trust the seller, the label means every bit as much as if I bought it slabbed. Maybe more since I don't have to crack it myself.

I'm sure I would feel different if I were buying a 5K book, but I have yet to break 2K. The vast majority of my collection sits around $200-$300+/-, so a label, when offered, adds something to the purchase. (for me)

Maybe I'm the .5%. (but I would be highly surprised to find that theother 99.5% don't find some value in having a blue label vs. no label given the same grade/same book) :baiting:

How do you know the label is from the same book? If its from a seller you trust, that's fine, but do you know even 1% of the sellers on eBay?

I must have two dozen 6.0ish Tales to Astonish 57. I could deslab any 6.5 slab of that book and sell it alongside any of my raw 6.0s books? I might find a jimmy who falls for it, but most people won't give a rat turd about the label.

Nor should they. It doesn't matter that the book was once a CGC 6.5, nor does it matter that the book was once a News stand Mint. What matters is what the book is now. A raw book that was once in a 6.5 slab.

How?

... a CGC label included with a raw book adds quite a bit of appeal to me as a buyer. If its a seller I don't know, it may give me the confidence to give them a try.... especially on eBay..... but then, on eBay, it's the buyer that I'm more worried about nowadays. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

How do you know the label is from the same book? If its from a seller you trust, that's fine, but do you know even 1% of the sellers on eBay?

I must have two dozen 6.0ish Tales to Astonish 57. I could deslab any 6.5 slab of that book and sell it alongside any of my raw 6.0s books? I might find a jimmy who falls for it, but most people won't give a rat turd about the label.

Nor should they. It doesn't matter that the book was once a CGC 6.5, nor does it matter that the book was once a News stand Mint. What matters is what the book is now. A raw book that was once in a 6.5 slab.

Buying a deslabbed book with a label doesn't protect you from blatant fraud, but that isn't the most common issue I have with sellers. What the deslabbed book protects you from is optimistic grading on the part of the seller (which is usually an unconscious bias rather than a true intent to deceive), and restoration that an honest but non-expert seller would likely miss.

A deslabbed book is a lot easier to sell between honest non-experts than a never graded raw book.

I also think fraud along these lines is not going to be all that common, since the upside is not going to be worth actually deslabbing the book in most cases. In your example, you would have to deslab a 6.5 TTA 57 to sneak a 6.0 out with the label, but how much value is that really going to bring someone beyond just selling the 6.5 as is? I'm sure it happens, but I doubt its all that common, compared to just overgrading a raw book.

For me personally, comic books are for collecting and slabs are for selling.

If I don't intend to sell the book in the near future I'll crack that sucker open. Sure, the label is now technically worthless in monetary value, but it's the book I'm buying. If I change my mind and choose to sell the book down the road, I'll include the label and accept it may well not fetch the same rate as a slabbed copy. (But hey, at least I got to read it)

As others have said, I like to know the book has had a resto check and given a fair grade when purchasing, especially if I'm spending a couple hundred bucks or more.

Say I want to have a nice copy of a Bronze book but not necessarily an uber grade. I think you can find a better deal with an already slabbed 8.5/9.0 range of book rather than buying a raw. It is not only safer but cheaper to buy an already slabbed book and crack it out. A 9.0 slabbed book, sold in auction, will probably sell for a 9.0 price, maybe less. A raw 9.0 book will probably be priced as an Overstreet 9.2 . It's just the way the marketplace works. In summary, if the book is a keeper, keep an uber graded book in the slab otherwise feel free to crack it out.