• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Personal Checks

38 posts in this topic

I stopped accepting them for a while because I found that the people who were asking to pay by personal check were often very slow in mailing them. By the time I received the check, then had to wait until it cleared the bank, and check with the bank to make sure it cleared before I mailed the book, it just seemed like too much of a hassle. So I started taking PayPal only. It didn't really affect my auctions too much. However, I got a few emails from people who wanted to pay by check. Now I've decided to take them again, just so that I can cater to those people who don't have PayPal accounts.

I did have a check bounce on me early in my ebay career. It was for a small amount and taught me to always wait until they clear. That might also cause people to stop taking them.

same thing happened to me, guy bounced a $20 check. which I could NOT believe.

I told you, my mom was in the hospital, my car broke down, my friends brother's stepdad stole my money to open up a moonshine still in Alberta, It was the week of my lipo suction, and....Damn! I forget, there were soooo many excu...I mean.....reasons I bounced that check and you promised to never bring it up again! mad.gif

tongue.gif

How come some ebay sellers dont take personal checks? What's the logic behind that?

Like others have mentioned, some dont want the hassles of dealing with a bounced check. If the person has bought from me before or has really good feedback, then Ill take one. It is getting to where my preferred method of payment is a money order. With Paypal fees and Ebay fees, a $50 transaction will net me about $45 or so. I can save more money (or make more depending on your point of view) by accepting a personal check or money order.

I heard that the new Check 21 laws would make bounced checks (or cleared checks)

much faster to find out about. I think it's now a 48 hour wait, once deposited,

as opposed to the old "I didn't hear anything until it bounced two weeks later

and by then I'd already shipped the book(s)."

Check 21 went into effect in Oct. '04. Anyone know the facts?

Yeah check 21 will allow banks to clear checks using an electronic image and not have to wait for the actual check before they withdraw the money. Not all banks have imagining capabilities yet though. Its good news for people cashing checks but not great for those who need the extra days to get the funds in the account.

I am a powerseller and I don't take checks. It just takes too long for the transaction to complete. If they want to item I take M.O.'s or PayPal. If you don't have paypal you can go and get a postal money order. I have not really seen a problem with this.

Take checks all the time, dont see what the big deal is confused-smiley-013.gif 3 days and I know if its good or bad. Hell people that have bought from me before I usually send their stuff out before their checks clear 893whatthe.gif.

I have been burned by Paypal 4 times, personal checks 0.

I heard that the new Check 21 laws would make bounced checks (or cleared checks)

much faster to find out about. I think it's now a 48 hour wait, once deposited,

as opposed to the old "I didn't hear anything until it bounced two weeks later

and by then I'd already shipped the book(s)."

Check 21 went into effect in Oct. '04. Anyone know the facts?

http://www.federalreserve.gov/paymentsystems/truncation/faqs.htm

Personally I PREFER personal checks on all items if the member has at least 100 positive feedback and no more than 2% negs,

I wondered if it was a scam technique so as not to have a paper trail........

There is a reason that scam auctions only take PayPal.

If payment is sent through the mail and it is later found that the deal was fraudulent (i.e. no book is ever sent), then I believe that is a Federal crime ("using the mails to defraud").

Maybe one of the lawyers here could clarify. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

PayPal is a godsend for e-crooks. sumo.gif