• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grand Rapids Comic Con October 16-18, 2015

20 posts in this topic

So I set up next to the promoter of this show at a convention a few months ago and he literally yell "Comic Con in Michigan" every 10 seconds throughout the entire day.

This is not a literally in the sense of, "I caught a fish that was literally 3 feet long in the creek", but an actual God-honest truth. He said it NON-STOP!

Anyway, he said he got 18,000 people through the door last year.

I'm debating on whether to do this one or a two-day show in Des Moines in November...

He certainly put the bodies through last year, and there was a dung-ton of cosplayers. Some spectacular, some just horrible, all worth a look.

Just a couple of weeks away. I know all you Western Michiganers are chomping at the bit to come and spend money.

I believe that my brother will be in attendance with my nephews. Keep an eye out for a tiny Godzilla hanging out with Deadpool and Commander Riker. That'll be them!

A fun con with buckets of comics, plus many weird things to look at. The funniest from last year was a booth selling sewing machines! Considering the number of cosplayers this actually made some sense.

Watching the steampunk artificers building things was also quite interesting.

Tons of people, but they weren't buying comics. I did a kit better than others that I talked to, but not good enough to do again.

That's too bad, I spent a ridiculous amount on books lol

I will say that the dealers prices were the strangest I've seen at any show. They were either ridiculously low or laughably high. There was one dealer blowing out his whole stock at $5/book for decent Bronze books, and he was bragging about doing 8K before the doors even opened. Even though I found it unprofessional to tell a complete stranger this, he was still moving a lot of books. The books he was selling for $5 had price stickers on them for much higher amounts, and I thought it was amusing that I saw those same books for sale at full sticker price on several dealers' tables. At least take the sticker off :facepalm:

I don't know anyone who's doing it this year, but I suspect there will be a lot of toy dealers and t-shirt vendors and DVD sellers and face painters...

It's a fun show if you're not into comic books but are into comic book-y things.

I don't know anyone who's doing it this year, but I suspect there will be a lot of toy dealers and t-shirt vendors and DVD sellers and face painters...

It's a fun show if you're not into comic books but are into comic book-y things.

Fair assessment. But I hope there's some book vendors there, I'm ready to spend a regrettable amount of cash.