• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$$ All he wants is a sack of dough $$

5 posts in this topic

I bought this in a FB group. The price was fair for the condition, but I still would've appreciated knowing about the spine splits.

I call it a....

What do you think? I'm considering having the spine reinforced. I never intend to slab this, I like having Electro's first appearance, and I just want to stabilize the book.

Anyhow, what do you think for a grade as is? Click the pics for larger images. Be sure to open the spoiler tags to see the spine splits, both top and bottom, significant. Paper isn't brittle, but there's heavy tanning and pre-chipping. I'm using micro-chamber paper to keep things "Fresh".

btFWV5Yl.jpg

zvWmvvfl.jpg

Check out the interior.

jbk1mRVl.jpg

R3Kki9ol.jpg

raj1sV0l.jpg

lW0EGq6l.jpg

I'd have to see the spine in hand. Sometimes splits like that don't appear to be in danger of getting any worse with proper handling, and other times the spine seems fragile enough that even just static cling to mylar could end up separating it completely. That it has heaving tanning and pre-chipping would concern me as to the strength of the spine otherwise.

As is, 2.0 seems about right, but the kind of book that might easily become a 1.0, so I might knock it down to 1.8. I don't know what I'd do about resto. The effort and cost combined with the market resistance to restored SA, even in low grade would probably end up meaning a net loss in retail value. My inclination would be to leave it alone, and just be careful with it.

Right on with rjpb's comments; looks like a 1.8/2.0 tweener. The inside cover corners have that speckled whitish look which do suggest the cover stock is quite fragile there, and could get worse if you're not careful.

Not bad-looking for the grade, but I'd either leave it alone or else resell and replace it rather than going to the trouble and expense to seal the spine.

Thanks, folks. I'm not as uptight about my Spidey collection. Most are mid-grade with some mid-high and some mid-low, and then this one. That does make sense about using the $$$ just to upgrade.

And you gotta love Electro. Good old fashioned crook, just looking for a sack of that cash!