• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

G.I. Joe

6 posts in this topic

Growing up I loved G.I.Joe...the toys and the cartoon. One of the first back issues I bought was a issue of G.I.Joe, I don't remember which number though. I would remember the cover if I saw it. It had 3 maybe 4 head shots on it. I think Zartan was one of them.

Anyway, besides that issue I have never really had or read any of the series. I have been thinking I would like to read it. Is it any good? What are the best/most affordable way to read this series? Is it collected in TPB's or hardcover collections?

Should I skip the Marvel series and go right to the IDW series? I know we have a few die-hard Joe fans on here so any advice that could be helpful is appreciated! Tahnks!

Growing up I loved G.I.Joe...the toys and the cartoon. One of the first back issues I bought was a issue of G.I.Joe, I don't remember which number though. I would remember the cover if I saw it. It had 3 maybe 4 head shots on it. I think Zartan was one of them.

Anyway, besides that issue I have never really had or read any of the series. I have been thinking I would like to read it. Is it any good? What are the best/most affordable way to read this series? Is it collected in TPB's or hardcover collections?

Should I skip the Marvel series and go right to the IDW series? I know we have a few die-hard Joe fans on here so any advice that could be helpful is appreciated! Tahnks!

I got back into completing my GI Joe series a few years ago and it has been very rewarding and enjoyable. The complete Marvel series has been made fairly obtainable. The Graphic novel trade paper back series GI Joe classic collects the entire run of Marvels GI Joe A Real American Hero into 15 separate volumes.

That is the only complete collection of the original works other than the comic books themselves on the market. There are other sections of the collection available in various forms(hardcovers etc.)

The comics are readily available although they are going to cost you more than the other mediums, even if you get them at a good price. Its not cast in stone but that has been my experience in collecting the 300 or so issues that I have.

I found this link helpful in assembling my present collection:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.I._Joe_(comics)

It breaks it all down right from the beginning.

My opinion of the 2008 IDW issues are they are not that great. When Larry Hama was not in charge of the series it really suffered. Although the Image and DDP iterations are good. Further the present ARAh series picks up where the 1980's series left off and that too is a good read.

Check out the YO JOE! thread in the copper forum as it may be of assistance as as well. May the spirit of the otter lead your quest .

No problem:glad to help!

I don't remember which number though. I would remember the cover if I saw it. It had 3 maybe 4 head shots on it. I think Zartan was one of them.

Tahnks!

If you check out the link bellow it may show the cover you were talking about. I have laid out every comic in order int he photos starting at the bottom of page 167 and continuing for the next couple of pages. I hope you locate the cover you were looking for.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8437494&fpart=167

Thanks! I just looked through your posts and found the issue. It was #55...."Unmaskings" How could I forget that?!? I won't forget again. That was one of the first comics i ever bought. I bought that issue as a back issue along with Peter Parker The Spectacular Spider-Man #59. First new issues I ever bought and the one that really got it's hooks in me was Amazing Spider-Man #316. Still love that cover.