• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pontoon's Boston Comic Con Report 2015

84 posts in this topic

Let’s see, where was I...

I’m not sure I’ll ever develop the patience to enjoy walking the aisles of a crowded show or understand why so many people are into taking plodding, iddy-biddy baby steps as they gawk or just come to a dead stop in the middle of an aisle oblivious to other folks. And I mean just plain attendees, not cos-play photo op clusters. I much prefer the smaller shows where you can walk around easily and peruse the longboxes.

Those folks are in the minority at the modern Comic Con though, it’s all about the event, the pop culture aspect, the cosplay, etc.

Speaking of cosplay, here’s some more photos.

BCC_2015_BWGuys.jpg

All guestimates are purely anecdotal of course, but I’d say the concept that comics are collectibles commanding large sums was unknown to about 50% of the attendees. Which seems weird to me. “People really pay $1000 for those?”

Here's a question I attempted to field gracefully. This guy seemed to be a comic fan, though apparently not a collector:

“What’s the significance of that Amazing Spider-Man #1?”

“Ummm…it’s the first issue of the Amazing Spider-Man.”

This might be my favorite:

“Do you have any Harley Quinn books?”

“Here’s one for $5!”

“Thanks. I was looking for something cheaper.”

It was quite nice to see lots of young kids with the parents. Although I have my doubts as to whether there’s going to be as big collecting base with future generations, it was heartening at least.

Here's a young man shopping with his mom showing off the new wall books he just bought:

BCC_2015_MonKnight_BlackPanther_Boy.jpg

Wall shots are my favorite part of show reports; I’ve made some good purchases that way from shows I didn't attend. Unfortunately, I didn't get as many as I would have prefered. Here’s stalwart Superworld:

BCC_2015_Superworldwall2.jpg

BCC_2015_Superworldwall.jpg

This might be my favorite:

“Do you have any Harley Quinn books?”

“Here’s one for $5!”

“Thanks. I was looking for something cheaper.”

Every show I do I have a stack of $3 Harley Quinn books. If I take 50 with me, I come home with 10. So many people don't care what the comic is -- they just look at the cover, hand me their cash, and walk away. For some, it's the only comic they buy the whole time.

I have other higher-priced HQ books, but they don't sell nearly as well.

Like last year, I didn’t spend any time in artist alley. There was a dearth of creators of interest to me (folks working in the '60s and '70s), though it would have been nice to see Ken Bald or get a Frank Brunner sketch (I saw a nice Howard the Duck he did for an attendee). I did get to see some nice OA at the Bechara’s table (Nostaligic Investments). I’m mostly priced out of the art I like so looking through his inventory is always a treat.

BCC_2015_BecharaWall.jpg

BCC_2015_BecharaWall2.jpg

Anthony Synder has set up the last few years but was absent this time around. I'd guess the OA market in Boston is slow at shows.