• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dulldevil Falls to Third (Almost Fourth)

78 posts in this topic

Yep, Dulldevil is on the fast-track to DVD, falling hard into third place, and eeking that out by only 0.9 million over "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days", a movie which has been release a full week longer than old Dully (and is in fewer theatres).

DD's per-engagement rate is also one of the lowest, making for a lot of empty seats at each showing. Oh well, the good news is lots of leg and elbow room, and no lines at the snack counter. grin.gif

As many of us on here stated, $40-million in ad dollars is guaranteed to buy you a monster opening week, but word of mouth decides whether the flick is a big winner on the longer term. In this case, the public has definitely spoken.

I have hopes that the second movie will be better, assuming that they dump that dullard writer/director and send him back for Simon Birch 2.

You don't have to tell me. Outside of this board and some fellow comic fans, I've never heard a good word spoken about the movie. It sucks, it sucks hard, and it sucks real hard, are the most common reviews I've listened to. grin.gif

What's amusing is that due to the advertising-induced opening week, I hear the same writer/director is taking a stab at the sequel. Now that people know how bad he and his movie sucked, DD2 has "monster bomb" written all over it.

God, I hope he doesn't get the opportunity to write up the sequel. mad.gif I mean how bad does a movie have to do before they dump the insufficiently_thoughtful_person? confused.gif

The problem is equating opening week box-office with long-term profits and quality. As anyone knows, any movie can be promoted to guarantee a huge opening weekend, not matter how horrible it is.

Someone at the studio saw the $40 million opening, never saw the $40 million ad budget, missed the horrid reviews and skipped the movie, then thought "man, this guy is hot, sign him for the sequel".

Now weeks later, they'll likely have to pay millions to kick his sad [!@#%^&^] off the sequel, now that he's been signed. He probably screamed "SUCKER!" when he got the assignment.

Here's an interesting quote:

"If Daredevil doesn’t rebound next week with a loss of less than 40% it will have a very difficult time crossing the $100 million mark. Making it the first movie to make $40 million on its opening weekend to fail to hit that milestone."

Although the movie promotional budget guarantees 100 million in box office (still no where near breaking even) not hitting that mark on the domestic release would be a real hoot.

Q: How bad is Daredevil?

A: It was the first movie to have a 40 million opening weekend, but didn't gross 100 million domestic.

Oooooh, great word of mouth!

Hated how he had a closet full of billy clubs and multiple uniforms. Was his apartment supposed to be some pseudo bat cave? confused.gif I wasn't too high on his sensory deprivation chamber/coffin or whatever the heck it was suppposed to be. Hopefully X-Men 2 can turn things around.

Yeah, I know Singer can direct and Ang Lee is a master, so bring on The Hulk and X-Men 2, and send Mr. Simon Birch back to film school.

Man, Daredevil sucked! I think a monkey could write and direct a more compelling movie.

Only the fact that DD is being shown in 3,234 theaters, far more than any other movie out currently, is saving the movie's bacon.

The buzz on DD is horrible...I've been bringing up the movie in conversation with everyone lately, and I know many people have been dissuaded from seeing it from the absolutely atrocious word of mouth.

Gene

I finally got to see it last night and actually really liked it. I'd never

heard of and knew nothing about Daredevil in advance but I'd

definitely go see a sequel. I brought a Japanese business visitor

and he said that he liked it as well. Then again, he liked everything

American that he saw.

Nah, Kevin Smith wouldn't have been a good choice either. Just hire a competent screenwriter and director who are experienced in the action-adventure genre.

Mr Simon Birch basically harassed the execs and forced his way into writing and directing the movie, which initially had a small budget and pre-Spider-man. Once Spidey became a big hit, they knew DD was in trouble, so the studio got some bigger name stars, increased the film budget, and slapped a huge ad budget on it.

Daredevil was never meant to be a huge movie, but Spider-man changed all that. If Fox had known then what they know now, a big-name action screenwriter and director would have been hired.

In light of that, it's quite surprising that this dullard has been given the reigns of the sequel, as they'll need to spend $200 million in promotion to get back $100 million after the bad taste of the first movie.

Oh well, I guess Goldman is right and that no one in Hollywood knows anything.