• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dulldevil Falls to Third (Almost Fourth)

78 posts in this topic

Just went to the matinee showing today and I must say I liked it.

I would not say it was as good as Spider-man but it was definatly darker and grittier. I actually thought Bullseye was very well done (I was skeptical) and provided some very interesting fight sequences.

I was going to criticize how the characters seem to defy gravity but then I sat back and thought for a second "these are comic book super-heroes, there supposed to be exaggerated".

And this one is just for you Bug....see it in a movie theatre....you have to hear the movie and well as watch it and a theatre is where you will get the best quality for this... wink.gif

>>I was going to criticize how the characters seem to defy gravity but then I sat back and thought for a second "these are comic book super-heroes, there supposed to be exaggerated".

I actually felt the exact opposite, as a movie has to have some set of rules, and if they're normal humans, then have them act like it. If it's a virtual world like the Matrix, or some guy gets the powers of a spider, then go for it. Just create a world and stick to it.

Otherwise you break one of the fundamental rules fo film-making and take the audience out of the experience. I actually heard groans and muffled "ripoff" comments when the whole Matrix-like leaping and fighting came on.

What I want to know is why such a thread has so many more reponses than threads dealing with condition, restoration, genre classics, heroes, villains, etc etc etc.???

I was bored to tears today watching this thread climb and climb. It is a movie for gosh sake! Who really cares? (unless you got a lot of CGCd DD). confused.gif

Peter David has a mostly positive review about DD in the latest CBG. However, the saving grace of the review was the following passage:

"I was told the next day by every - and I mean EVERY - comics pro who had seen the advance screening that the movie sucked raw eggs. That there was nothing good to say about it. I even heard - with echoes of the Comic Book Guy ringing in my head - "worst comic book movie ever". When one considers that field includes Howard the Duck, Judge Dredd, Batman and Robin, The Punisher, Superman III and IV, Supergirl - and Captain America, for crying out loud - that's a hell of a condemnation, voiced by people whose opinion I very much respected."

Whew! I was beginning to think that the vast majority of comics pros had no taste in movies! tongue.gifwink.gifgrin.gif

Gene

Newsflash (courtesy www.variety.com):

Disney laffer "Bringing Down the House" brought down the weekend box office crown plus personal bests for topliners Steve Martin and Queen Latifah with an estimated $31.7 million opening.

Bruce Willis military actioner "Tears of the Sun" from Sony/Revolution finished second with $17.2 million, and DreamWorks laffer "Old School" was third with $9.2 million over its third sesh.

Miramax's musical "Chicago" -- a platformed release that added 153 engagements for a total 2,600 -- grossed $6.9 million in fourth place. Paramount's leggy "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" found another $6.8 million in fifth, while Warner Bros.' urban actioner "Cradle 2 the Grave" dug up $6.6 million in sixth after a big 60% soph-sesh drop.

20th Century Fox's comix actioner "Daredevil" -- touted as a summer movie in February when debuted four weeks ago -- dropped another 54% to $5.2 million in seventh place.