• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Future of the Top 10 SA comics (5 years from now)?

90 posts in this topic

Looking back to some of the original post I saw X-Men #1 being tossed around alot. With one after another successful movie no way do I see it moving down the list. Kind of surprising that it is currently only at 8.

In 5 years I could see spots 3, 4 and 5 moving down the list. FF is very significant but it has nothing to make it stick right now. I feel however in terms of "lifetime collectors" it will always be a key with value, never moving all the way out. Also nothing good going on with Flash, why would it move up?

I could see Hulk and AF continue to duke it out for spots 1 and 2.

Lastly I can see OAAW # 83 continuing up the list and moving into the top 10 in another 5 years as people get wise to war books.

So...:

Good movies are good for books - X-men 1

Bad movies can't hurt historically important books - FF 1

Good TV shows and historical importance can't help a book - SC 4

Nothing whatsoever other than a very small sub-segment of collecting influencing everyone helps books - OOAW 83

What you are saying really doesn't make any sense.

Wolverine is popular, the X-men are not. Fantastic Four are nobodies. Flash has a hit TV show and War books are still irrelevant.

Looking back to some of the original post I saw X-Men #1 being tossed around alot. With one after another successful movie no way do I see it moving down the list. Kind of surprising that it is currently only at 8.

In 5 years I could see spots 3, 4 and 5 moving down the list. FF is very significant but it has nothing to make it stick right now. I feel however in terms of "lifetime collectors" it will always be a key with value, never moving all the way out. Also nothing good going on with Flash, why would it move up?

Lastly I can see OAAW # 83 continuing up the list and moving into the top 10 in another 5 years as people get wise to war books.

So movies are good for books - X-men 1

Nothing whatsoever other than a very small sub-segment of collecting influencing everyone helps books - OOAW 83

Wolverine is popular, the X-men are not. Fantastic Four are nobodies. Flash has a hit TV show and War books are still irrelevant.

In regards to the X-men what I am saying is that one after another successful film will help in an uptick in X1s placing. I am not giving the movies undue credit though, just saying they help reinforce the place of an already strong title. I see nothing on the horizon predicting its down fall or portraying the team in a bad light. The 1963 comic series was published until 2012 and has continued to see print.

In regards to Fantastic Four I did not mention the most recent movie theatre failure as far as its placing . I did however reference its historical significance as the corner stone of the Marvel universe. I reinforced that notion by saying it has 'nothing to make it stick' in regards to other pop culture. Sorry but I just do not feel too far off saying that FF1 is a key and will remain so. Further I think you were the one who said" abandon all hope FF fans" so why you are making the for or against argument based only on the movie makes no sense to me. I did say it may slip downward , just not off the top 10 list in only 5 years.

I really do not follow DC closely but I bring it up since you are referencing that is has historical significance much in the same way FF has historical significance. Yet you are trying to say that SC will move up the list just because of 1 TV series yet bad movies will kill FF and send it downwards? That makes no sense to me.

Feel free to disagree on OAAW as you would not be the first. Your loss.

So movies are good for books - X-men 1

In regards to the X-men what I am saying is that one after another successful film will help in an uptick in X1s placing. I am not giving the movies undue credit though, just saying they help reinforce the place of an already strong title. I see nothing on the horizon predicting its down fall or portraying the team in a bad light. The 1963 comic series was published until 2012 and has continued to see print.

In regards to Fantastic Four I did not mention the most recent movie theatre failure as far as its placing . I did however reference its historical significance as the corner stone of the Marvel universe. I reinforced that notion by saying it has 'nothing to make it stick' in regards to other pop culture. Sorry but I just do not feel too far off saying that FF1 is a key and will remain so. Further I think you were the one who said" abandon all hope FF fans" so why you are making the for or against argument based only on the movie makes no sense to me. I did say it may slip downward , just not off the top 10 list in only 5 years.

I really do not follow DC closely but I bring it up since you are referencing that is has historical significance much in the same way FF has historical significance. Yet you are trying to say that SC will move up the list just because of 1 TV series yet bad movies will kill FF and send it downwards? That makes no sense to me.

Feel free to disagree on OAAW as you would not be the first. Your loss.

I posted a couple of times that I agree that 5 years is probably any aggressive timeline for any large scale changes to the list.

Regardless my main point centers around supply/demand and the role popularity plays into demand, particularly over-time. I do think historical significance is important to comic collectors now, but I am highly skeptical that it will matter in 20 years to new collectors (if there is such a thing). So yes, movies and tv shows heavily play into my POV as they are central to modern pop culture and are the largest driving force of disproportionate comic growth in recent years. Are they only part of the equation, of course not. They are however, far more relevant to today's youth (tomorrow's collectors - if we are lucky) than they are to previous generations. Don't underestimate the power media has over children and their long term thoughts, feelings, perspectives and opinions.

As far as war books go, we will agree to disagree. I have read them, don't really care for them. Like Westerns before them, they are going the way of the Dodo.

So...:

Nothing whatsoever other than a very small sub-segment of collecting influencing

FF 1 is invulnerable to crummy adaptations spoiling it's legacy. If Hollywood ever gets the concept right this book might shoot up in price. If I owned a copy I wouldn't sell right now or ever. This book keeps it's value

So...:

Nothing whatsoever other than a very small sub-segment of collecting influencing

FF 1 is invulnerable to crummy adaptations spoiling it's legacy. If Hollywood ever gets the concept right this book might shoot up in price. If I owned a copy I wouldn't sell right now or ever. This book keeps it's value

Nothing keeps value forever, particularly collectibles (very fickle and comics are no exception).

Whether or not this movie incarnation has a huge impact on the value of the book is still to be determined, but I would guess not largely.

The overall POV I am driving at is the movie was a missed opportunity to create new fans and expand a current fan base. This is critical for the long-term health of the franchise and the value of the book. You need a replenishable source of demand to maintain pricing because supply is fixed (relatively). As of today this franchise has been failing to do that for some time relative to other books on the list or others that could take its place.

Past performance does not guarantee future results. This book's long-term value is questionable (long-term being more than 5 years, clearly).

FYI - whose shill account are you? Member since 2008 and less than 10 posts...?

I think X-Men will do just fine kids and most adults love the series. They have tons of toys and other collectibles + video games. And been a team of many characters there will be many more movies. Unlike Iron Man that had 3 movies and his probbaly done for a long while (to bad he is one of my favorite characters of all time).

The 1st issue has 2 important 1st appearances that are still relevant today (Professor X and Magneto). It may climb the ladder a little slower than Hulk 1 or AF15 but it is not going to come off the top 10 that is for sure.

FF1 well that is another mater I like most of my generation are not very attached to that series and neither is the generation after mine either. I can't see it coming off the top 10 either with it's current value at 120 000$ and it increased 9% this year when supposedly the market was dead......imagine if ever kicks back into gear it could take a single year or 2 then bam we will see a 100% increase in Overstreet. Like we are seen with BB28 right now.

Now for Amazing Spider-Man #1 that is a different story I see this book as the biggest loser in 5 years from now. At a 60 000$ value currently and a 2% increase in the last 2 years if this last 5 years and the other books like the so called dead FF1 increase at a rate of 9% then bye bye ASM 1 in the long run. Maybe it will stay there at best #9 or #10 on the top 10 SA of all time.

A lot more books will be getting close to that 60 000$ mark in the next 5 years so if ASM 1 does not pick up then it will fall off the list over time.

So...:

Nothing keeps value forever, particularly collectibles (very fickle and comics are no exception).

Whether or not this movie incarnation has a huge impact on the value of the book is still to be determined, but I would guess not largely.

The overall POV I am driving at is the movie was a missed opportunity to create new fans and expand a current fan base. This is critical for the long-term health of the franchise and the value of the book. You need a replenish-able source of demand to maintain pricing because supply is fixed (relatively). As of today this franchise has been failing to do that for some time relative to other books on the list or others that could take its place.

Past performance does not guarantee future results. This book's long-term value is questionable (long-term being more than 5 years, clearly).

What do you mean by Schill? How do you schill on a message board?I could google it. Is this a for sales thread? I don't remember why I made this account in 2008. Maybe research on cgc slabs , I might have been looking to buy something after seeing the Sales threads; and made an account , then forgot about it. I joined a lot of discussion groups. I was into the hobby back then.I Suppose my comment on FF 1 could be taken a little shrillish; I really couldn't say. And also I don't care, so there's that.

So...:

The overall POV I am driving at is the movie was a missed opportunity to create new fans and expand a current fan base. This is critical for the long-term health of the franchise and the value of the book. You need a replenish-able source of demand to maintain pricing because supply is fixed (relatively). As of today this franchise has been failing to do that for some time relative to other books on the list or others that could take its place.

What do you mean by Schill? How do you schill on a message board?I could google it. Is this a for sales thread? I don't remember why I made this account in 2008. Maybe research on cgc slabs , I might have been looking to buy something after seeing the Sales threads; and made an account , then forgot about it. I joined a lot of discussion groups. I was into the hobby back then.I Suppose my comment on FF 1 could be taken a little shrillish; I really couldn't say. And also I don't care, so there's that.

(thumbs u

So...:

Your avatar is of Krazy Kat. Are you Krazy Kat ?