• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Comics - Exactly HOW MANY HG Copies Out There??

52 posts in this topic

hey folks,

calling out to all collectors and dealers. the CGC census keeps ballooning for moderns in the 9.4/9.6/9.8 range. last summer when daredevil speculators were out, and before people mass-submitted their DD comics - some very common eighties Millers were fetching over 200 in 9.6. now - you'd be lucky to sell them for 20. this must be due to the availability as now evidenced by the census.

so this thread is a two part question.

firstly: how many copies are really out there? for a highly-submitted, over-hoarded comic from the 1980s - how many issues will be expect to see?

secondly: in 10 years - with 1000 of copies of ASM 300 in 9.6/9.8 - how will the census affect values for overhoarded HG moderns? depreciation? appreciation? nothing?

opinions?

firstly: how many copies are really out there? for a highly-submitted, over-hoarded comic from the 1980s - how many issues will be expect to see?

Most moderns will remain raw as the grading fee is more than one can expect to realize from the sale of the comic! Rest assured, for the most part (and there are exceptions) you can find almost any book you want in a minimum of 9.6 quality.

secondly: in 10 years - with 1000 of copies of ASM 300 in 9.6/9.8 - how will the census affect values for overhoarded HG moderns? depreciation? appreciation? nothing?

I would guess that I am a little young on these boards (almost 24) but Venom was very, very big amongst my friends in the day (although Marvel was smart enough to kill that quickly as soon Venom appeared in at least one comic per month). His first appearance coupled with the true "debut" of McFarlane in my mind puts that book at $100(+) in 9.6 for the forseeable future. Other "keys" ie Wolverine Limited Series 1-4 will hold some value but probably will depreciate over time. Talk about there being literally THOUSANDS in HG, you're looking at the series.

Other copies have niches. Dungeon would pay a king's ransom to whoever can produce a 9.8 worthy GI Joe 21.

I would really like a Batman 427 in 9.6 and a Batman 404-407 in 9.6. The flip side is I would say that I have raws of all the issues that are just as nice, but don't want to chance sending them in to CGC because if they come back a 9.4 I would just crack the case and I'm out probably $30 (19 for grading, 5 for shipping each way??).

Its the overlooked books like GI JOEs Transformers He-man and some of the lesser printed black and white books and possibly some low run Valiants that seem to have the most potential as far as 80s/early 90s books are concerned. Most of the super hero books were super hoarded and the value will continue to decrease as more and more copies are graded 9.8+.

The biggest problem with using the CGC census to determine value is that there is no corresponding census of collectors. At some level you can determine the supply of high grade material using the census (albeit with some multiplers). But there is no census of how many people are looking for those books.

It's easy enough to say that there are at least five people looking for most any book. But which books have 50, 500, 5000? Books that have a whopping two copies in 9.8, even Bugaboo would know they will be valuable. Even if there were 100 copies of Amazing Spider-Man 1 in 9.4, it would still be a five-figure book...

Do YOU know how many people are looking for DD 181 in 9.8? Neither do I... There's over 100 copies available... but anyone who thinks they know how many people are looking for a 9.8 is nuttier than than the folks that PM'd me about my statement that Joanna was an alias of mine...

One thing I CAN say with some confidence. There will never be 1000 CGC graded copies of ASM 300 in 9.6 or better.

Valiants!!!!!!

The best thing to happen to the modern age. I fulfilled a long time collecting goal of mine this past year when I finished off my run of X-O Manowar. I also was able to pick up some diamond boxes (170 and 130 copies respectively) of 14 and 15. Overkill? Sure, but Valiants are really good stuff and the pre-Unity Valiants are some of the best comics produced really ever. I think that Jim Shooter did a great job of creating that universe and really making it work.

I'm personally always in the market to buy full runs of X-O or copies in bulk (ie above 100 issues). Also looking to get a run of Rai.

DAM

Books that have a whopping two copies in 9.8, even Bugaboo would know they will be valuable.

No I wouldn't...........Lousy Assumer. mad.gif

but anyone who thinks they know how many people are looking for a 9.8 is nuttier than than the folks that PM'd me about my statement that Joanna was an alias of mine...

No....no.....no.......I PM'd Joanna about that statement.......wait a sec.......how did you know about it?.........Lousy female impersonator. mad.gif

Hey! I gave a legitimate reply before I trashed it... that's better than you did on your 'Baby Picture' thread... 200+ replies and STILL no baby pictures... whatta waste.... mad.gif