• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How bad does a rusty staple progress in a CGC holder?

27 posts in this topic

Does this look like rust on the top staple on the bottom part of it (you have to look at the back image of the comic book to see the top staple)? Seems like there is missing a part to the staple as if it was 'cut'.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-brave-and-the-bold-28-justice-league-of-america-dc-1960-cgc-fn-60-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7147-91236.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

Or am I just be paranoid? I asked Heritage to have someone look at it and was told there was no rust at all.

Doesn't look like any rust to me from the scan.

No idea on how rust progresses in a CGC holder - but it is one of my two deal breakers on a book (the other being tape).

Congrats on the purchase though? (judging from your sig line)

Does this look like rust on the top staple on the bottom part of it (you have to look at the back image of the comic book to see the top staple)? Seems like there is missing a part to the staple as if it was 'cut'.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-brave-and-the-bold-28-justice-league-of-america-dc-1960-cgc-fn-60-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7147-91236.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

Or am I just be paranoid? I asked Heritage to have someone look at it and was told there was no rust at all.

If the staples were rusty, it should be mentioned in the CGC notes. I would buy the notes. I generally avoid rusty staples but I have a few books with a small 'spot'. I have never noticed any progression. I would think, if the book is kept in the proper climate, the rust would stay contained.

That doesn't look like rust to me, I think your good. The answer to the question I think is, it can't get better if there is rust on a staple. WE have all seen some of the horror pictures of completely rusted away staples in high grade holders.

If you are referring to that Hulk 181, please don't show it. I still get nightmares from that image. I still say, something completely abnormal, drastic happened to that book.

I believe it could be a stretch mark in the metal when the staple was applied (it is the area where the metal bends then goes under the comic....the ''elbow'' area of the staple). Or maybe that area was rubbed on for some odd reason and that is why the color is not consistent with the rest of the staple.

I love the seller's notes. 'The books are in great shape minus the staples which have rusted/rotted.'