• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

General Advice on eBay -- any feedback welcome

23 posts in this topic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Doom-Patrol-100-Robotman-iac-Origin-Of-Beast-boy-/281706545990?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item419704c346

another 99 cent bust

frankly, i don't know why that book doesn't do better, although i guess 99 is the first one to get. love that little green guy on teen titans go!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valiant-1991-MAGNUS-ROBOT-FIGHTER-1-NM-qq-/351488417171?hash=item51d6579d93

The seller doesn't even charge enough for shipping to squeeze a few extra cents out of the sale.

I understand this seems to be the only pre-unity Valiant not to have had a nice jump (and, of course, the one I won a stack of), but giving it away for 99 cents..yuck.

Here is a perfect example of what makes me queasy....

I have this book...x2 #1-#6......in really nice shape nm.....like I said early I have not sent anything to grade, but I would hope that it comes back 9.2 - 9.6.

ANOTHER point....I get to travel a lot for my real business. I am thinking that I can line up some of my travel to go to a con on the weekend and get some stuff signed....like Magnus #1-#6 signed my Jim Shooter......

Sounds like a great idea until I see someone go through this.

I really, REALLY appreciate all the advice.

Novice seller (<1yr) advice here:

1. Start auction price at the rock-bottom price you'd be willing to accept (reserve without a reserve). I'd never start an auction at $0.99 unless you're willing to sell it at that price or you are 100% sure it'll get a lot of bids. However, being a new-seller with low FB #s you may not get as much action as a top-rated seller with 20K FB.

2. Set auctions to end on Sunday evening (factor in Eastern time folks).

** -- Yes, I have gotten this advice in the past. Seems like it works....I don't think this is needed for BIN.

3. If you're auctioning, add BIN and set it around the recent sales price (or slightly higher if it's higher demand).

** Here is my issue with this.....Let's say I have a NM #98 in fair condition (which I did) and I put it up for auction starting at $0.99 (which I did) and I put a BIN option of ($215) which I did. Here is what happens.....the BIN option GOES AWAY with the first bid....SO at .99 the BIN is poof-gone. I was happy to settle for $215. The book ended up selling for $155ish....

I was OK....I made money, but the Auction+BIN is whacked....unless I am doing something wrong.

4. Personal Choice: BIN with no OBO for books under $6 to avoid haggling over fifty cents to a dollar.

** This is smart. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

5. BIN with OBO for hot books or books over $10 and allow room for buyer to make offer. For these I assume I'm going to come down maybe 10-15% and factor that into BIN.

** Check.

6. High-resolution scans of FRONT and BACK with a contrast background. Don't crop the edges. Additional pictures IN-FOCUS depending on the book:

a) Full spine-edge view for flatness, wear, stresses, staples.

b) Inside cover & splash-page for cover wear and PQ.

c) Centerfold for PQ and staples.

d) Close-up of any questionable area.

e) MVS if included (proof),

** Have not included the centerfold -- good feedback.

* No matter what, the MINIMUM should two pics (Front and Back scans) even for the cheapest single book.

** I am now in the habit of front and back scans and high-res top, bottom, and spine on an angle to show shine and to show how flat the book is.

* Sets of books >8, take front/back pics of them in smaller groups since ebay limits pics to twelve.

** I am now taking 4 books in landscape.

* Scan slabs if you have a large enough scanner, otherwise get good pics with little glare of full-front and full-back slabs, close-up of label and close-up of front cover.

**No slabs yet.

7. Allow returns and state a clear policy on it (e.g. "14-day return policy, seller pays return shipping"). Ebay is gonna pretty much force you to anyway.

** Queasy feeling...will have to get over that....

8. Unpopular Advice: Don't use Media Mail. Lots of folks do, but it's improper and is an invitation for apes to open and paw through your packages and/or stick your buyer with additional charges.

** I am kind of digging media mail....but I got a digital scale from a loving (and semi-supportive) wife. Sending single books 1st class is still possible.

9. Grade according to common standards (OPG) and be honest about it. Put a grade or grade range on the book (Fine or VG/VG+) but number grades are for professional grading companies - no need to number-grade them.

** Yes.

10. For cheap books that you don't/can't sell individually, maybe bundle them in sets or runs.

** Good advice.

11. Pay attention to the banned-Ebay-buyer list somewhere on this forum. It is updated regularly and there's usually informative stories behind each bad buyer that we could learn from.

** Have not looked at this....good advice again.

Good luck!

I need all the luck I can get. I have embedded comments/questions above with **