• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man 3 Movie - Who's Your Pick - Greengobby or Hobgobby?

25 posts in this topic

hey folks,

so Spider Man the movie with Green Goblin as villain was a hit. for the sequel, it looks like Doctor Octopus is getting the nod to star as Spidey's foe in Spider-Man 2.

many expect the Spider-Man 3 flick to go back to the NormanOsborne/HarryOsborne storyline. not only does the first movie leave off there, but by going back to a goblin, moviegoers get to go back and get treated to the aerial action and battle scenes that were so successful in the first movie. with this in mind, my question is the following:

since it's given that Harry Osborne is going to follow in his father's gobliny-deeds - do you want to see him come back as the Green Goblin, or as some have suggested, the Hobgoblin?

to adhere to the Marvel storyline, Harry Osborne of course resurrects the Green Goblin. but since the Hobgoblin is already a well-developed character in the Spidey universe, and since the general public wouldn't know any better - they just may have Harry come back as the Hobgoblin. doing this would sell more toys for them (cause they can now sell a different character) and would also give SM 3 a different aesthetic feel than the first SM movie. the con to all of this, is that it wouldn't remain strictly faithful to the spiderman legacy.

your thoughts.

Is this a poll?? laugh.gif I love Polls! I vote for the Hobgoblin reincarnation, and just hope Harry can design a lighter, more flexible version of the costume like the GG/HG wear in the books. I really didn't dig the Transformer-ish GG body armour in the 1st movie, although they tied it in with the story nicely.

I vote for Hobgoblin. It wouldwork much better to have a visually different villain in the 3rd flick, regardless of what it does to fanboy continuity. I've always thought that Hobby had a real "look" that could be killer on film.

And there's really zero chance the studio would bring back the Green Goblin character, as it's been there and done that already.

Agree w/ Banner and Joe-C....Don't worry about "fanboy continuity", go with Harry as the Hobgoblin, but give him a better costume. Not the armor, but more like his costume in the comic.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Lizard either (although he could be tough to make look any good).

Chris

I vote for Madam Web and the Trapster...also I wouldn't mind seeing Harry turn into the Lizard, Dr. Connors turn into Venom and to really screw it up, they can make Eddie Brock (who was mentioned in the first movie.... shocked.gif that was sooo cool) into Morbius. Any thoughts?

Of course I'm kidding...you need to stay true to the books otherwise its a waste of time...

Hobgoblin. Who really cares about staying totally faithful to Spidey's history if they make a good movie?

I'd don't think the movie-going public will want to see the Green Goblin again, and I too think it would show a distinct lack of imagination on the film-makers part to use the same villain twice.

The Hobgoblin would be cool though, lets hope if they do use him they make a better job of his costume. grin.gif

>>Of course I'm kidding...you need to stay true to the books otherwise its a waste of time...

As far as the comics go, Hobgoblin could be just about anyone. At one time, it was Ned Leeds, but that was tossed out of continuity, and for some time, Peter did suspect it was Harry.

I don't think even Marvel knows who Hobgoblin was/is/will be, so what's the big deal?

I think Harry should become the Rocket Racer. shocked.gif

Seriously, I think using the Hobgoblin(and a better costume) would be the way to go.

i personally vote for the Hobgoblin as well - for all the reasons stated above. if they went back to the GG - it would seem very anti-climatic - and not very original.

and yeah - forget the GG exoskeleton...

since it's given that Harry Osborne is going to follow in his father's gobliny-deeds - do you want to see him come back as the Green Goblin, or as some have suggested, the Hobgoblin?

Basically I want to see the Green Goblin in a Spidey film that does NOT look like a Mighty Morphin Power Ranger. My gawd could they have made GG look any more ridiculous?

OK - one more time with "page cannot be displayed" so this may be a dupe but...

i didnt like the goblins costume either,hobgoblin would be cool,but come on you got to have venom in the 3 movie with mabey a carnage cameo?

OK - I confess my ignorance here. I know green Goblin - used to have an ASM 14 in my SA days. I THINK Venom is that black costume guy that started in ASM 252/MSSW 8? And Carnage? hmmm - no idea. So I guess I am sticking with my memories! grin.gif

I THINK Venom is that black costume guy that started in ASM 252/MSSW 8? And Carnage? hmmm - no idea. So I guess I am sticking with my memories!

You are correct about Venom. The alien costume first appeared in ASM #252 and Venom himself (costume bonded to Eddie Brock) first appeared in ASM #300.

You are not missing much not knowing who Carnage is, basically a second rate Venom clone. His costume is the spawn of Venom's (very lame frown.gif ).

Hobgoblin would a be poor choice as there's no way they could make him as dark or demented as he is in the comics and still have it a PG-13 movie. I'd like to see either Kraven, Chameleon, or Electro. These characters would look far less cartoony (or corny) then some of the other spidey villains.

Kraven might be a bit too plain, but I think if they combine him WITH Chameleon and play on that brother thing..it'd be pretty damned cool. I guess Rhino wouldn't be too bad, but he'd probably be too similar to Hulk. Sandman would be pretty cool but probably not feasible.

I'd love to see the Lizard, but it would probably be too spooky for children to see..

Brian