• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Trade do you use to convert newbies (preferably a GF or Wife)?

71 posts in this topic

The Dark Phoenix Saga is really good. (thumbs u

I started my wife off on the two X-Men essential volumes that reprint GS X-Men 1, 94-144. Coming from exclusively Manga, she didn't mind the black & white art at all. From there she read the first Wolverine mini series and I also had her read the O'Neil & Adams Green Lantern / Green Arrow issues.

Very good picks. Did she enjoy them?

The Dark Phoenix Saga is really good. (thumbs u

I started my wife off on the two X-Men essential volumes that reprint GS X-Men 1, 94-144. Coming from exclusively Manga, she didn't mind the black & white art at all. From there she read the first Wolverine mini series and I also had her read the O'Neil & Adams Green Lantern / Green Arrow issues.

Very good picks. Did she enjoy them?

Yes she did. She liked the X-Men stuff the best so far. She enjoyed the GL / GA issues, but felt they were a bit "dated" and "preachy". She loved the Adams art though :cloud9:

Next up is the Frank Miller Daredevil run, including the Born Again storyline. I'm anxious to see what she thinks about it.

Cherry Poptart Vol. 1

I'd suggest Omaha The Cat Dancer instead.

Well, I was being somewhat facetious but... Omaha is certainly a better, more serious 'story', but I would think it might come across a bit creepy to make that the first comic I would ask a wife or girlfriend to read... whereas, if they could laugh at the poor taste and over the top silliness of a Cherry comic, amidst the hardcore sex, it would show, a) they have a sense of humor and b) they're not offended by 'drawings' of cartoon people having sex.

I mean...starting off with Omaha, you might end up with a Seinfeld situation....

George_zpsribwdk6c.jpg

Is there an actual woman in question? Has she asked for a comic book?

My wife never asked for one. The marriage lasted 31 years (up to her passing five years ago). My fiance has yet to ask for one. I have not suggested one.

My advice is deny that you read comics. If she wonders what those three hundred boxes are in the garage tell them you are saving them for your brother who is in Afghanistan and you don't even know what is in them. Do not try to "convert" . Trying to convert a mate or potential mate to Mormonism or Jehovah's Witness is easier, safer and more sensible.

My wife never asked for one. The marriage lasted 31 years (up to her passing five years ago). My fiance has yet to ask for one. I have not suggested one.

My advice is deny that you read comics. If she wonders what those three hundred boxes are in the garage tell them you are saving them for your brother who is in Afghanistan and you don't even know what is in them. Do not try to "convert" . Trying to convert a mate or potential mate to Mormonism or Jehovah's Witness is easier, safer and more sensible.

She's a beautiul girl who's studying Psycho full time while also running train on World of Warcraft arena.

She's a beautiul girl who's studying Psycho full time while also running train on World of Warcraft arena.

Definitely need pics to back this up.

I don't know what "Running Train" is but it sounds like it has a weighty responsibility to it. My son played "World of Warcraft" until he turned twelve so I know what that is.

I suspect that either she is way out of the reach of anyone here if she is truly beautiful in the agreed upon way and you should give her up before heartbreak ensues, or she is out of her *od-*amned mind and you should give her up before heartbreak ensues.

There is the slight chance that she falls into that sweet spot where her beauty is balanced with low-self esteem, thus giving a comic collector a shot at getting somewhere with her. Forget trying to get her to read comics though. It will put her off under any situation.

"I am taking the bus over to the methadone clinic to play World of Warcraft with the other addicts, but I would just find reading a comic book on route sort of childish and embarrassing. Everyone already stares at me because of my great beauty and reading the Dark Phoenix Saga would just give people another reason to hate me. I think it would be better if we never saw one another again." I think that scenario is far more likely than, "You read Harvey Pekar! What a man!" or anything else that would make you feel up.

Forget the comics. The best you can hope for is that she'll do to you what the Presley girl did to Nicholas Cage.

Definitely need pics to back this up.

Only becuase I feel this is the start of a great friendship on these boards....

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-13%20at%205.22.13%20PM_zps6rtvh62e.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-13%20at%205.22.21%20PM_zps7iwhizcy.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-13%20at%205.21.13%20PM_zpsdpmloogw.png

I'm 50 and I've been into comics since before I was able to read. I've had beautiful girlfriends and wives, and none of them could give two craps about comics. I tried to never even take them into a LCS because they weren't interested in anything there and the other guys would stare at them like they were from another planet.

I never tried to push them into the hobby and they didn't try to pull me out of it (because they knew it was pointless anyway).

My advice would be if she asks about comics and seems genuinely interested, taker her in a store and let her pick something out. Otherwise, leave it alone.

Thanks for the advice guys, she's a self professed nerd "played WoW all through high school, didn't go to dances, has had 2 boy friends" and she saw my comic collection and asked if she could read some. She went right for Avengers 1, so I said "yeah I'd love for you to read some, but lets not go with that one...."

I think she's a keeper but its early days. She's loving Elegy and Spidey Blue, Arkham Asylum has given her nightmares however.

I'm glad to see some people have found girlfriends/wives who accept or even like comic collecting. I've been verbally abused to no end about being "a grown man who collects comic books" by some of the women I've gone out with. Enough so, in fact, that now I usually don't tell the women I date.

Thanks for the advice guys, she's a self professed nerd "played WoW all through high school, didn't go to dances, has had 2 boy friends" and she saw my comic collection and asked if she could read some. She went right for Avengers 1, so I said "yeah I'd love for you to read some, but lets not go with that one...."

I think she's a keeper but its early days. She's loving Elegy and Spidey Blue, Arkham Asylum has given her nightmares however.

I haven’t been able to properly grasp what your girlfriend might like, but if it has to be something relatively modern, and thoughtful, I would suggest Grant Morrison's WE3, one of his best works ever.

Otherwise, if it does not have to be american, I never get tired to suggest Aama (being published right now in Italy as well, and I am reading it):

http://www.amazon.com/Aama-Volume-Smell-Warm-Dust/dp/1906838739