• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Trade do you use to convert newbies (preferably a GF or Wife)?

71 posts in this topic

... but if it has to be something relatively modern, and thoughtful, I would suggest Grant Morrison's WE3, one of his best works ever.

Quite a while since I read this, but I recall the first issue being extremely violent. I'd probably think about easing them in a bit more gently.

I'm glad to see some people have found girlfriends/wives who accept or even like comic collecting. I've been verbally abused to no end about being "a grown man who collects comic books" by some of the women I've gone out with. Enough so, in fact, that now I usually don't tell the women I date.

I've been there too man, cleaning up the man cave before a first house visit.

However, when she said "i have a confession, i am a hardcore WoW player" I knew I had a shot to let my comic freak flag fly. To bad most WoW comics suck and Battle Chasers never ended.

Oh wait.... Rat Queens duh!

I've just started dating a new lady friend, who's in love with tons of "fandom" related things, and has a decent knowledge of comic lore thanks to the Batman Animated Series, MCU, and Nolan's Batman Movies. However, she's expressed, much to my joy, a wanting to get into the books themselves as I have.

Generally when I would buy a gift for a sister or female friend I'd go with Spider-Man Blue by Loeb/Sale, unless they really liked Batman in which case I tended to go wtih Hush (Killing Joke or DK Returns always seemed a bit much for a first read.)

Any advice would be appreciated, feel free to throw out some books yourselves. It doesn't have to be the new Captain Marvel or Ms Marvel/Bat Girl, just because she's a girl either. I was thinking Hawkeye, or maybe even the Ultimates.

I'd go with some Cherry Poptart . . . :grin:

I'm glad to see some people have found girlfriends/wives who accept or even like comic collecting. I've been verbally abused to no end about being "a grown man who collects comic books" by some of the women I've gone out with. Enough so, in fact, that now I usually don't tell the women I date.

Been there and done that sir, it certainly can suck when someone you like puts down your hobbies.

should've responded in your best Hulk voice: "If you think i'm grown now, wait until you see me angry."