• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If they started making comics SA style stories and art would you buy them?

47 posts in this topic

Some of my favorite books from that time were Tales of Suspense and Tales to Astonish. Two whole stories done in one boo with a beginning, a middle and an end. Today the beginning finishes around book 5 or 6 so they can bundle that into a TPB. Don't get me wrong I still read moderns, but still long for SA stories.

...the editor refers me to past issue numbers to find a past story

YES! You're writers, reference your work, you lazy bums! That's how I started buying back issues: buy an issue with Absorbing Man, the asterisk references to an old Thor. Find the Thor, another asterisk refers to an old Hulk...

I would definitely read 'em.....silver age like comics...if published.

I certainly think with Silver and most Bronze age comics, one might make a case they are wordy but they really are a "Read". The tell a story with depth and detail. I've been reading a lot of Silver age comics lately and I'd guess for every two I read, I run across at least one word I have to look up in dictionary. I don't think I've ever had to do that with a modern comic(s) and I read a far number of modern comics as well.

SA books are too wordy. Every panel describes what's in the picture. This is not necessary. There picture usually describes what's in the picture just fine. Some nuance in exposition is needed.

^^

More specifically, unnecessarily wordy and redundant.

If the creators aren't using the medium properly, it's just sub-par work.

I understand this criticism completely.

I would definitely read 'em.....silver age like comics...if published.

I certainly think with Silver and most Bronze age comics, one might make a case they are wordy but they really are a "Read". The tell a story with depth and detail. I've been reading a lot of Silver age comics lately and I'd guess for every two I read, I run across at least one word I have to look up in dictionary. I don't think I've ever had to do that with a modern comic(s) and I read a far number of modern comics as well.

It takes words to give characters any sort of depth and character.

Silver Age comics require news print though. They reprint them on baxter or newer paper and they don't feel or look right.

Print them on news print, drop the price and you would see many people buying them.

The only thing, you need to go back to the house style art, where Peter Parker always looks like Peter Parker.