• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it really gory or what's the deal with it?
1 1

48 posts in this topic

A most interesting question asked by Bugaboo in Comics General "My Scanner Stinks"

IS pre-code horror really gory or what's the deal with it?

Some of it is actually COVERS. A lot of the pre-code horror covers are most intense, but when you open it up and look at it the stories are way behind. That is why EC is considered king. Usually their covers, while quite amazing, were at best on par with the stories. And usually the stories were, upon digestion, far more "horrific" than the covers.

In pre-code horror, quite often the cover art had no relation to the interior. In some cases, the interiors were often reprints of very banal stories that didn't even qualify as horror. But in other cases, some real horror is found inside. Basically, you have to study the genre and learn a balance between amazing cover and good interior. It is really not an easy thing to do.

EC, Harvey and Gilmore had some consistently evil stories. Atlas (later Marvel although some books actually had a Marvel logo back in the mid-40's) had some amazing covers and, while not very gory stories, some real thinkers.

I could go on but am starving so will leave you with this. If you (or anyone else) has a budding interest in pre-code horror, go to the link at the bottom of the page and spend $5 for TALES TOO TERRIBLE TO TELL/TERROLOGY published by New England Comics. Comic book format with b&w repros of many stories and in depth analysis of the publishers. It was cut short with issue 11 but was intended to be a complete analysis of pre-code horror. I am still seeking why it was cancelled and if any of the editorial staff has any interest in continuing it.

Again, here is a link:

Get the $25 offer. If you have even a SLIGHT interest in pre-code horror it will be worth it!

So now on to the main topic:

What pre-code horrors have you found that have stories that at least rival the covers? Will be posting my choices in a while, but hope this helps to reveal some more pre-code fans!

"Pre-code horror is dead. They will only go down in value so remember - bid low and infrequently on this rapidly decreasing genre!!!"

I don't have many pre-code books, but have alot of reprints and such. My favorite (1st printing) is a Tales from the Crypt #38? (I think...may be #28).

Awesome Johnny Craig cover of a man buried alive in a coffin. The story was just as good as the cover! As guy and his buddy decide to swindle an insurance company out of a life-insurance policy. All they have to do is fake a deaath and hold a mock funeral (complete with body burial) , collect the money, go dig up the live body, and split the money. Only one problem. Yep, a double-cross leaves one guy buried alive! BWA-HA-HA-HA!!!!

Chris

Poverty, I just got my set of TTTTT from NEC, and they ROCK! I highly highly recommend them to everyone on the board.

If you're interested in pre-code horror, definitely buy the whole set. If you're not sure, buy one issue and you'll be glad you did!

POV - thanks for the tip. Just ordered the $25 set. Am waiting to get a little more cash before I order the Tales of the Crypt EC reprints ($110 + sh).

I am a big fan of the DC title "Ghosts" and am 2 issues away from filling my full run! I also have some other bronze age horror like HOS, Witching Hour, etc. and really like Morbious (and have a nice ASM 101 and 102). Even though Batman is my collecting specialty #1 and Hulk is #2, horror is up there at #3.

Anyway, what other pre-code horror / horror in general would you recommend to a relative new comer to the horror game? The $25 set of cheap reprints is good as I don't have all that much to spend on this stuff.

Thanks!!

DAM

dam -

Check at shows. I've picked up many EC reprints (from the 70's and 90's) in $1-2 boxes. Usually, the guys that are selling the real EC's will have the reprints as well, in my experience.

Chris

Harvey horror from the fifties isn't quite as scarce as other pre-code horror books(and therefore not as expensive), and some of them are great. I especially recommend CHAMBERS OF CHILLS and WITCHES TALES-both great ssmplers of pre-code horror madness.

A lot of the pre-code horror covers are most intense, but when you open it up and look at it the stories are way behind

A lot of Atlas books have misleading covers. Last night I read SPELLBOUND #14; the cover featured story was called "Love Story" and the cover shows a terrified guy sitting on a bench in a park with a rotting corpse, with corpses walking all over the park. The interior story had no walking corpses and was much more mundane(though still enjoyable).

Pov -

Just to update. I checked my books. The book I was talking about was TFTC #28 (Johnny Craig cover). I was getting it confused with the other book I own (TFTC #38), which has an even better cover. A Jack Davis! Manianc w/ axe is chopping into a coffin. Pure Evil! The interior story, unfortunately, does not match the sheer horror of the cover!

Chris

"(TFTC #38), which has an even better cover. A Jack Davis! Maniac w/ axe is chopping into a coffin. Pure Evil! The interior story, unfortunately, does not match the sheer horror of the cover!"

Yeah, and the uncensored cover for that issue is even better! (If I could only find a frickin' picture of it). Anyone?

Hey, don't forget, that's not a coffin per se on the cover (though it turned out to be one, twice used, in the story) but rather a steamer trunk. I dunno about the story not being horrible - I thought the insides did a pretty good job of living up to the cover.

Look one issue previous in TFTC ti #37 and you'll get one of my favorite covers, plus the great Bill Elder art in the story "Strop! You're killing me!" Definitely one of the best gross-out final panels EC offered anywhere, I think. Not often would they pay off a story by letting you see the gore. Haunt of Fear #19's "Foul Play" is of course the prime example of their doing such a thing.

For one of the most shockingly gory stories period, I stand by Mysterious Adventures #21. Of course there have to be many yet I'm not aware of that could match up to it in gross-out factor.

There are at least two (that I know of) Crime Does Not Pay covers that show people being shot in the head, the bullet going right through the skull. I don’t remember the issue #’s but one ended on e-bay last week.