• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it really gory or what's the deal with it?
1 1

48 posts in this topic

This is it - the page that may well have broke the camel's back. If you have plans on getting EC's Haunt Of Fear #19 to read the baseball story for the first time - please do not click on the link. Also...pleaase do not read any further as I have to give away the story so it makes more sense. Otherwise, please enjoy.

Spoiler Buffer

Spoiler Buffer

Spoiler Buffer

Spoiler Buffer

Spoiler Buffer

Spoiler Buffer

Spoiler Buffer

Spoiler Buffer

Spoiler Buffer

Spoiler Buffer

Spoiler Buffer

OK - the back story is that baseball player Herbie Satten painted his baseball shoe spikes with poison then slid feet-first into the opposing team's power hitter...killing him in a short time. Herbie is then tricked by that opposing team into attending a nighttime memorial in his honor.

The rest can be seen here!

PS - please let me know if the scan showed up full screen. My DSL provider (pacbell) switched to SBC Yahoo - I got 150MB of disk space for no extra charge - made it PUBLIC (available to all) - I got cookies on my computer so want to be sure you all can see the scans. Just need one affirmation! (Thanks smile.gif )

I asked a simple question - could someone just tell me if my scans were showing because I had a new ISP.

I got no answers (although the views increased) and I had to ask this again in the Water Cooler? I have to assume that either folks hate me here or that GA is of no interest. Either way, this was a rude awakening. All you had to do was click on a link and say "it worked" or "it didn't".

Yet we get insane numbers of replies to sometimes inane questions and polls.

Maybe I am in the wrong place for my interests - what is puzzling is that the GA and especially the pre-code horror was really increasing in interest before the board change.

Regardless I shall continue to post in my main interests - restoration detection, restoration techniques, conservation and pre-code horror and also general GA.

But I wish the GA folks here would get up and say something. Do we really want Iron Man 55 fan-nies to outdo us?

Yo buddy, you asked in the testing forums!

You are most correct. I had to ask in the Testing Forum (sorry - Water Cooler was in error - that whole upper area is kind of foreign to me)

So replace Water Coloer with Testing in my post tongue.gifgrin.gif

The time I gave it would have generated 30 reponses in "Is ASM 100 better than MTU 1?"

tongue.gifwink.gif

I asked a simple question - could someone just tell me if my scans were showing because I had a new ISP.

I think I ....:::wait::::wait ::::nope ....ok yup :::::there it is::::I see it....Yes I do see it.... smirk.gif

I KNEW a plaintinve message would get results! Thanks. Actually this is now gonna be a temporary holding area. I know Yahoo can get slow and busy. Good friend is setting me up with a ton of free space on one of his servers with a T1 line! Woot!

But I really am interested in how folks unfamilair with this bit of history respond to the tale.

Edited by povertyrow

So what's the plan?...

Basically I really do want to start scanning scintillating bits of interiors and get beyond the covers. I remember Joanna's exposition of the Wonder Woman vs Corn People and really enjoyed that. Now I lack Joanna's writing skills but at least I can provide some intriguing interiors along with the covers!

So what's the plan?...do you need extreme web space so that you can scan the whole book from cover to cover?...

OK - probably the plan is dead. The climax to one of the most controversial stories to ever be published in comics and one of the main causes of the Senate hearings - well - no one seemed to give a damn (except for some appreciated "yes I can see it" replies.

Now I got a new web space from a friend - I am the ONLY person on this particular computer (he has 14) and he also has a dedicated T1 line so the scans will load as fast as they can.

But I have to ask - should I bother opening up my books and placing them as carefully as I can on a scanner bed to record some choice interior panels? If no one is going to read it I won't. If even one person will I will. But right now, seems like the effort is not worth it. Maybe I should show scans of CGC 9.8 Godzilla #1. mad.gif

Unfortunately, there isn't a ton of interest for pre-code horror on these boards. Don't see any reason to get mad about it though - that's just the way it is.

However, I'd be interested in seeing the story if you would like to post it. Thanks.

Don't see any reason to get mad about it though - that's just the way it is.

Jeeze I put one mad.gif icon up and I get a response! Maybe I should do that more often! Gawd! If I add multiple mad.gif responses to this thread I should be a millionaire! grin.gif

Yes - just kidding - and thanks for the reply. But you never said nuthin' about the baseball interior scan - I had to actually OPEN UP THE BOOK ::gasp:: ::choke:: to scan it too! But you probably already read it! smile.gif

But anyway - for a bit there pre-code horror was going good. Now it seems to have fizzled. Maybe a micro-cosm of the macro-cosm?

Whatever - I shall persiist until 2004 - then will try creating a pre-code horror board! grin.gif

Was that story reprinted in one of the original oversized EC Portfolio books?

It was probably in one of the portfolios. It was definitely in the Nostalgia Press book HORROR COMICS OF THE 1950'S, a book that I received as a Christmas gift when I was 11 and was my introduction to pre-code horror and EC.

POV - I had ordered the Tales Too Terrible to Tell set from NEC for $25 and finished up all of the issues. What great stuff! It had some cool stories and I really liked the anthology of the different publishers and titles that were around at the time. A great horror cover gallery too. I would recommend to all,

DAM

What great stuff! It had some cool stories and I really liked the anthology of the different publishers and titles that were around at the time.

I agree 100%. One of the most unique labors of love I have seen, and very well focussed. I only wish they had completed it. If you read into it there were plans to produce a full book - TERROLOGY - designed for the precode horror collectors chock full of all the stuff in the mags and a lot more. I have already embarrassed myself by trying to track down some of the people associated with the publicaiton but all dead ends so far. I only pray George Suarez is stiull with us!