• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McFarlane on eBay

61 posts in this topic

I just don't get the lure of his Spidey art? He looks more like Spy vs Spy. Is he wearing pointed dress shoes under his costume?

It all comes down to nostalgia.

I grew up with McSpidey and think it's fantastic (not this particular page, but his art in general). Byrne and Starlin for example do nothing for me because their peak period was before my time. I can still understand why people like their work, but I have no desire to own an example.

Very little comic art is really groundbreaking or amazing outside of this hobby's little circle of geeks, so you just have to like what you like.

I get the nostalgia angle believe me as its one of the biggest drivers when I buy OA but I just don't buy into the whole ground breaking and amazing argument as much.

I think he was a refreshing new take in an era [the 90's] that was bleak of the most part. Maybe because I was spoiled growing up with so much epic material and story lines from late 70's/80's that I barely register a pulse when I see his artwork.

[Fine art or not, $11k+ for basically a modern obscure page is really hard to understand.

McFarlane Amazing Spider-Man is now "obscure?"

I think ya lost me on that one.

Not his art, the page itself. It's not the first appearance of anything that would potentially drive up the value [if I'm not mistaken?].

It's a mc spidey page it's about as far from obcure as you could get.

I think what you are trying to say is that it's somewhat of a random (not particularly memorable ) mc spidey. Still, whether random or not it's a decent page in a run that has a ton of status /cachet

No different than random 10k watchmen pages 2c with Dr Manhattan's ding-a-ling hanging out

I just don't get the lure of his Spidey art? He looks more like Spy vs Spy. Is he wearing pointed dress shoes under his costume?

I grew up with McSpidey and think it's fantastic (not this particular page, but his art in general). Byrne and Starlin for example do nothing for me because their peak period was before my time. I can still understand why people like their work, but I have no desire to own an example.

Very little comic art is really groundbreaking or amazing outside of this hobby's little circle of geeks, so you just have to like what you like.

I get the nostalgia angle believe me as its one of the biggest drivers when I buy OA but I just don't buy into the whole ground breaking and amazing argument as much.

I think he was a refreshing new take in an era [the 90's] that was bleak of the most part. Maybe because I was spoiled growing up with so much epic material and story lines from late 70's/80's that I barely register a pulse when I see his artwork.

I don't think you understood his post. He's not saying McFarlane was amazing. He's saying none of it is amazing in the bigger picture so just enjoy what you enjoy.

Lastly, having grown up with late 70s books doesn't mean you are spoiled (for my money one of the weaker eras in comics frankly) it just means you are old :baiting:

Errr... full of life experience I mean :foryou:

I think what you are trying to say is that it's somewhat of a random (not particularly memorable ) mc spidey. Still, whether random or not it's a decent page in a run that has a ton of status /cachet

No different than random 10k watchmen pages 2c with Dr Manhattan's ding-a-ling hanging out

You forgot to add "not that there is anything wrong with that". :P

Man...you just named the triumvirate of stuff I have no interest in :)

Man...you just named the triumvirate of stuff I have no interest in :)

:headbang:

lol

I don't think you understood his post. He's not saying McFarlane was amazing. He's saying none of it is amazing in the bigger picture so just enjoy what you enjoy.

Lastly, having grown up with late 70s books doesn't mean you are spoiled (for my money one of the weaker eras in comics frankly) it just means you are old :baiting:

Perhaps a topic for another thread, would make a great discussion. However, I think you young whipper snappers need to step away from the bong! :o Weaker eras???!??? There are so many fantastic, forever burnt in my memory story lines coupled with great artists at their peak that you speak pure blasphemy I tell you. :slapfight:

Nefaria, Korvac, Ultron, Master of Evil arcs. The whole Layton Iron man run [Doom Quest], Spidey/Juggy, Hyde, arcs, the Hobgoblin, 40-50 issues of Byrne FF bliss, Simonson Thor, Cap Baron Blood, etc, etc. :ohnoez: Those were the days when Romita Jr, Byrne, Perez did their best work and pretty much anything Stern wrote was gold back then.

+1000000000000000000

And of course all the late 70s/80s masterpieces by Frank Miller, Bill Sienkiewicz, Arthur Adams, Dave Sims, Alan Moore, etc.

"One of the weaker eras in comics" is impossible to understand for me... and even more difficult to justify doh!

I used to own a McFarlane page

sold it a while back but sometimes when I see what they go for now I am sad a little bit

Life is not about regrets. Who knew OA prices would keep going up and up? Presumably that money was put to good use.

But what you said is a reason why I am reluctant to let prime pieces go, even if it doesn't fit my collection focus, unless the funds are used to buy more OA

Malvin

No real regrets.

Used it it buy the ring I used to propose to my wife (5 years in October)

Just once in a while I think what if I held onto it in longer

Perhaps a topic for another thread, would make a great discussion. However, I think you young whipper snappers need to step away from the bong! :o Weaker eras???!??? There are so many fantastic, forever burnt in my memory story lines coupled with great artists at their peak that you speak pure blasphemy I tell you. :slapfight:

Nefaria, Korvac, Ultron, Master of Evil arcs. The whole Layton Iron man run [Doom Quest], Spidey/Juggy, Hyde, arcs, the Hobgoblin, 40-50 issues of Byrne FF bliss, Simonson Thor, Cap Baron Blood, etc, etc. :ohnoez: Those were the days when Romita Jr, Byrne, Perez did their best work and pretty much anything Stern wrote was gold back then.

Just off the top of my head the following books came out well after your era and stack up pretty well against anything in any era (I'm not putting the Watchmen or The Dark Knight on this as they were mid-80's and you might want to claim them):

Not ranked in any order - just a quick list

1) In 1993 a little story called “The Infinity Gauntlet”. Perez, Lim, and Starlin.

2) In 1989 another Starlin story called “Batman: A Death In the Family”

3) In 1999 “Batman: No Man’s Land” arc

4) Sandman – early 1990’s books by Neil Gaiman

5) The Death of Superman

6) Harbinger: Children of the Eighth Day

7) Oh yeah - Bone, maybe the greatest story told in comics.

You're kind of making my point. None of that stuff excites me, except the Hobgoblin, who was just barely in my era. Byrne FF? Ugh lol

I prefer stuff like Kravens Last Hunt, Jim Lee X-Men, DKR, death of Robin, early vertigo, Watchmen, pre-Unity Valiant, early tmnt and Bone, etc. Cause that's the stuff that was out there when I was 8-14.

Just off the top of my head the following books came out well after your era and stack up pretty well against anything in any era (I'm not putting the Watchmen or The Dark Knight on this as they were mid-80's and you might want to claim them):

1) In 1993 a little story called “The Infinity Gauntlet”. Perez, Lim, and Starlin.

5) The Death of Superman

Infinity Gauntlet was in 1991. Infinity War was in 1992. Infinity Crusade was in 1993. Sorry, I'm just a stickler for accuracy about such things.

5) The Death of Superman

Infinity Gauntlet was in 1991. Infinity War was in 1992. Infinity Crusade was in 1993. Sorry, I'm just a stickler for accuracy about such things.

LMAO...like I said off the top of my head. Only off by two years. Not bad for a guy my age.

Guess the list of stories was on the mark though. They stand the test of time and stack up against anything of any era especially Bone. Sorry, but Jeff Smith just got it right with Bone.

+1000000000000000000

And of course all the late 70s/80s masterpieces by Frank Miller, Bill Sienkiewicz, Arthur Adams, Dave Sims, Alan Moore, etc.

"One of the weaker eras in comics" is impossible to understand for me... and even more difficult to justify doh!

Impossible to understand? I think not :foryou:

I define late 70s as 75-79.

First of all every era has it's classics. Even the late 50s which Id consider the weakest half decade has showcase 4 and lots of others.

But sorry ... 75-79 isn't as strong as either half of the 80s or either the front half of the 60s. The back half of the 60s still has a bit of silver age magic (though not nearly as much as the front half) so I view that as stronger also although it's debatable. For me, the early 70s is a very interesting time, particularly at DC. So much branching out into different genres, so many new creators. Unfortunately, many of them reduced output in the back half of the 70s and the experimentation with genre that marked the early 70s was gone.

So, for me, when I rank them, the back half of the 50s is poor... an overreaction to the code. The back half of the 70s (75-77 or so esp) is this unfortunate transition period (noting that even this period like all periods had its classics) from the pure form of the Bronze Age to the 80s which was an overall great decade. 90s is a whole other discussion.