• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NC COMICON '15 - Durham, NC November 13-15th!!!

49 posts in this topic

Yeah, I can only assume there were a million people there after seeing some post about adding more time to the signings on Sunday.

*Edit* Mixed reviews on Facebook, with disorganization and too many people.

Last year (which was insane) was 6000 people and this year was 10,000. So glad I decided to skip. They simply need a new venue.

And they needed it 2 years ago.

A few FB quotes:

I paid $30 per person for 3 people to basically go to a comic book store... Venue too small and overcrowded. Not enough parking. I could have stayed in GSO and visited acme comics and had a better time. Vendors selling funko Pop toys that weren't limited edition or rate items for 3 times the amount of a regular store.

Completely disappointed by this con. Save your money!! I CAN NOT stress this enough. It was very unorganized and poorly ran, Terribly overcrowded for the venue, and just not much fun. Made several attempts to stop and visit some artists only to get pushed and shoved to the side by all of the people getting through the aisles and when they weren't shoving their way through everyone the attendees were standing in their middle of the pathways chatting and taking pictures creating a huge traffic jam for other guests with zero crowd control from the staff who were spending too much time looking at the products and not doing their jobs. We got so aggravated that we just left. A complete waste of (overpriced) $60 for our 2 tickets. Had a much much MUCH better time at wizard con and heros con.

Organization was terrible. I waited 3 hours outside in the cold to see Gerard. Thankfully I double checked at registration as to where to purchase the signing tickets. Instead of purchasing inside the con then going to where the signing was, they'd combined both lines outside the hotel. Information depended on which "henchman" you asked. No one seemed to have a consistent answer. We were told multiple times that they would start selling tickets in 7 min, 10 min, etc. Also they need to invest in walkie talkies and megaphones for next year. Communication between the henchman involved shouting in the middle of the huge line. Lastly, if you're going to have people line up outside for hours on end, communication of that fact would be great so people can bring the appropriate clothes rather than freezing. To top if off, when I finally got inside the con I left after an hour. Aisles were not big enough to start with, then add in people browsing, talking and taking pictures and it's a total gridlock. I didn't see many if any employees inside the actual hall trying to direct traffic, instead they were posted up in the hallway. Just a poorly organized event all around.

Some shameless, self-promotion:

KPR Comics will be at Booth 1018 (toward the back of the room).

Only one booth, but I just loaded the truck with:

5 Boxes of wall books

4 Boxes of lesser wall books (just in case the other 5 sell out)

12 Boxes of 1/2 Guide Silver and Bronze

Several boxes of $2 Bats, Tecs, X-Men and ASM

Box of $3 Star Wars (original series)

Random $3 bronze

OA from Kirby, Manifest Destiny, Harley, etc.

Come on by to buy or just say hi.

Thanks for the deals!!!!! (thumbs u:)

The SHOW ROCKED!!!!!

BEST ONE I've ever had there

Lots of traffic and BUYERS

And a SUPER GOOD BUYING SHOW too

And a BIG THANKS to Wally and Tyler for the dinner Saturday night........some excellent pizza and brews.

Had a fantastic time for the second year in a row. Obviously the sig line was FUBAR (I only lost 1:45 while others easily lost 4 hours) on Saturday, but hopefully they learn from their mistakes. Expecting a 50/50 turnout when Way is a teen idol? A 4-hour signing window on Saturday and 7-8 hour window on Sunday? Huh? A merged line for two artists when the signing tix were only good for one or the other? With the exception of an unpublished window on Friday night, only selling signing tix after waiting in line? Very strange. I was finally able see Charlie on Sunday morning and was quite relieved, but again was snatched out of the line because there was no wait for Charlie. Just make a different line! Two AAA guests was a good problem to have though.

I'm glad vendors appear to have done well because I was worried with that many people being hassled and stuck in line for hours that sales would suffer on Saturday.

Having the 700-seat Armory both days was huge for panels. Never had a problem, or more importantly never had to wait in a single line, for any panel. Picked good times to check out vendors/artists and was able to navigate easily twice. Think a lot of folks were pissed about the sig line Sat because Charlie's panel was only 1/4 full on Sat night.

Comiquest film fest continued to be wonderful even if we had no idea WTH was going on in Heavy Metal. lol. I forgot how good Ghost World was.

Might try to be a Henchman next year. Maybe...

Had a fantastic time for the second year in a row. Obviously the sig line was FUBAR (I only lost 1:45 while others easily lost 4 hours) on Saturday, but hopefully they learn from their mistakes. Expecting a 50/50 turnout when Way is a teen idol? A 4-hour signing window on Saturday and 7-8 hour window on Sunday? Huh? A merged line for two artists when the signing tix were only good for one or the other? With the exception of an unpublished window on Friday night, only selling signing tix after waiting in line? Very strange. I was finally able see Charlie on Sunday morning and was quite relieved, but again was snatched out of the line because there was no wait for Charlie. Just make a different line! Two AAA guests was a good problem to have though.

I'm glad vendors appear to have done well because I was worried with that many people being hassled and stuck in line for hours that sales would suffer on Saturday.

Having the 700-seat Armory both days was huge for panels. Never had a problem, or more importantly never had to wait in a single line, for any panel. Picked good times to check out vendors/artists and was able to navigate easily twice. Think a lot of folks were pissed about the sig line Sat because Charlie's panel was only 1/4 full on Sat night.

Comiquest film fest continued to be wonderful even if we had no idea WTH was going on in Heavy Metal. lol. I forgot how good Ghost World was.

Might try to be a Henchman next year. Maybe...

Saturday was my slowest sales day?! Sunday was first and Friday second

It was my first year attending, and yes it was very crowded on Saturday. I talked to several cool people and met DarrellF from the signature section on here (He was my CGC signature series witness). I was quite frustrated with the organization of the Adlard/Way signing. I waited in the line outside for 3+ hours and was told that we would be allowed to purchase tickets once inside. I was finally pulled out of the long,single line and put in a shorter,separate line for just Adlard. Then it was announced that anyone without a ticket already would have to come back tomorrow. What?!?! Thankfully, the nice guy in front of me with his family sold me one of his tickets. Charlie Adlard is a SUPER nice guy, and I submitted a Chrome WD 100 for SS.

I was working for CGC this weekend so I did not get a lot of time to shop but it was a great show for me. I was able to set up some sketches and do a bit of shopping though. I got to meet a lot of people while handling the Adlard and Way signings so that was a plus as well. The people running the con were great and I will definitely be going back next year.