• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

White Mountain Amazing Spider-Man #28 CGC 9.0

46 posts in this topic

hey, Ive got a question about the original art for the cover of #28. Why IS there any original artwork anyway? Clearly it was drawn as black on while lines, and the cover was the result of a reversed photostat!! So the original artwork Diko drew would NOT look like that cover image posted here wouild it?

Or, at lease the Moltem Man may be drawn but Spidey is a big photostat..

Not sure I follow you here. THIS IS THE ART. It is not the result of a reversed photo stat,...its inked black,..as it appears on the printed comic,

* The art is cropped,..as were most covers pre- 66

if everything on that cover you showed is inked black on white, then you bought a reproduction. No artist since printing was invented would draw Spidey's webs by inking the blacks AROUND the white lines. Or the logo etc. And covers were done on oversized boards with crop marks (in blue) etc . This 'thing' has none of that. Surely you know all this of course....

I mean Scott, you should be happy you didn't win that book, or hordes of unhappy collectors would have tracked you down, threatened you, broken into your house, smashed your wine collection, bombarded you with email, etc. etc. etc.

gossip.gif You're confusing unhappy collectors with his clients. This is standard procedure on any given day! poke2.gif

hey, Ive got a question about the original art for the cover of #28. Why IS there any original artwork anyway? Clearly it was drawn as black on while lines, and the cover was the result of a reversed photostat!! So the original artwork Diko drew would NOT look like that cover image posted here wouild it?

Not sure I follow you here. THIS IS THE ART. It is not the result of a reversed photo stat,...its inked black,..as it appears on the printed comic,

if everything on that cover you showed is inked black on white, then you bought a reproduction. No artist since printing was invented would draw Spidey's webs by inking the blacks AROUND the white lines. Or the logo etc. And covers were done on oversized boards with crop marks (in blue) etc . This 'thing' has none of that. Surely you know all this of course....

Aman 619,

I do not own this particular piece. It is owned by a fellow list member on the original art list-serve. It was sold by Marie Severin to him for about 100K along with the ASM 11 (for an additional 100K [total 200K]).

I have not seen the art myself first hand. My thought was that the white is not 'blank paper' per se. It could be white paint, white-out,.etc...

Not really sure,..but it is the art !!! This much I am certain.

And covers were done on oversized boards with crop marks (in blue) etc . This 'thing' has none of that. Surely you know all this of course....

And the board was cropped,..as were all pre-66 Covers. Totally consistent with olther art from the period. There is no dispute within the community as to this pieces authenticity.

Well it would have been nice if you said this wasn't yours from the start. Kind of like me getting on these boards and showing of a ton of expensive books, and then saying I don't own any of them. foreheadslap.gif

I do agree with you that it seems that early Marvel Silver-Age covers do not have the border around them.

thumbsup2.gif

The artist probably painted the white lines over a solid black background, assuming that this is really the original art. I have some original art (including a Miller/Janson DD page) where the artist uses white over black to achieve a similar effect.

The artist probably painted the white lines over a solid black background, assuming that this is really the original art. I have some original art (including a Miller/Janson DD page) where the artist uses white over black to achieve a similar effect.

yeah, Ditko could have painted with white on black, or even sketched the web patter, painted in the blacks as best he could and then touched up the the white areas where he went over the lines..... Just seems a long way to go rather than just sending in Molten Man inked in on a black bkground with a separate black ink overlay of Spidey with a note to the production dept to reverse it and paste it in place with the stats of th elogos etc. But maybe Ditko who always went his own way insisted on actually drawing it in reverse, Until I see the art I can only say how I would have done it as easily as possible.

But heres another thought, IMO MORE inportant as to this cover: Destro says Marie Severin sold it? How did SHE get it? I didnt think any Soidey covers this early were part of the art giveback of the 80s. As colorist (was she a colorist back then?) she might have had a stake in them (but I doubt it)... and this cover is pencilled and inked by Ditko, who is still very much alive, so wouldnt HE have been the one to got it back?

So was Marie one of the office gals who had to make the trek to the infamous warehouse with the original artwork each month??? Pretty big score for the little lady!

Well it would have been nice if you said this wasn't yours from the start. Kind of like me getting on these boards and showing of a ton of expensive books, and then saying I don't own any of them. foreheadslap.gif

I do agree with you that it seems that early Marvel Silver-Age covers do not have the border around them.

thumbsup2.gif

You guys on this board are really hysterical. I am trying to show cool art,..some is mine,..some is not. Why must I indicate what is mine ? IThre is no rule book on the protocol for showing cool stuff !!! Moreover, I NEVER claimed that which I post is mine....u just drew that conclusion. I am showing the ASM 28 Original Art Cover,..not a silly comic book !!!! That's the big difference in your example of you showing a ton of expensive books.

Who cares if you show a nice book,..its a dime a dozen,..this is original art,..one of a kind. Id prefer if you just thanked me,..and went on your merry way !

You guys on this board are really hysterical. I am trying to show cool art,..some is mine,..some is not. Why must I indicate what is mine ? IThre is no rule book on the protocol for showing cool stuff !!! Moreover, I NEVER claimed that which I post is mine....u just drew that conclusion. I am showing the ASM 28 Original Art Cover,..not a silly comic book !!!! That's the big difference in your example of you showing a ton of expensive books.

Who cares if you show a nice book,..its a dime a dozen,..this is original art,..one of a kind. I'd prefer if you just thanked me,..and went on your merry way!

Oooohhh.... I can hear a Jack Nicholson "Few Good Men" spoof in the offing.

yeah, Ditko could have painted with white on black, or even sketched the web patter, painted in the blacks as best he could and then touched up the the white areas where he went over the lines..... Just seems a long way to go rather than just sending in Molten Man inked in on a black bkground with a separate black ink overlay of Spidey with a note to the production dept to reverse it and paste it in place with the stats of th elogos etc. But maybe Ditko who always went his own way insisted on actually drawing it in reverse, Until I see the art I can only say how I would have done it as easily as possible.

But heres another thought, IMO MORE inportant as to this cover: Destro says Marie Severin sold it? How did SHE get it? I didnt think any Soidey covers this early were part of the art giveback of the 80s. As colorist (was she a colorist back then?) she might have had a stake in them (but I doubt it)... and this cover is pencilled and inked by Ditko, who is still very much alive, so wouldnt HE have been the one to got it back?

So was Marie one of the office gals who had to make the trek to the infamous warehouse with the original artwork each month??? Pretty big score for the little lady!

Marie Severin wasn't *just* a colorist. She was a penciller, inker, and letterer too. She did the art in Hulk #102, for example. She was also married to John Severin. It's possible that either Marie or John traded something to Ditko for the piece, or even swiped it from the office like people used to do back then without a second thought.

Well it would have been nice if you said this wasn't yours from the start. Kind of like me getting on these boards and showing of a ton of expensive books, and then saying I don't own any of them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who cares if you show a nice book,..its a dime a dozen,..this is original art,..one of a kind. Id prefer if you just thanked me,..and went on your merry way !

Please go away. flowerred.gif

I'm usually one of the most tolerant people on these boards, and I don't have any problem have you show cool art, but I surely have no desire to have people bash COMIC BOOKS, on a COMIC BOOK FORUM.

Marie Severin wasn't *just* a colorist. She was a penciller, inker, and letterer too. She did the art in Hulk #102, for example. She was also married to John Severin. It's possible that either Marie or John traded something to Ditko for the piece, or even swiped it from the office like people used to do back then without a second thought.

of course I know she is a fine artist who drew many great titles and stories. But I spoke in shorthand as to what she might have been doing for Marvel in 1964 when these covers were produced that would have given her a claim to the artwork had she been given it in the giveback program. get it?

I think her earliest pencilling chores were in the late sixties....

shes also a great cartoonist who does cool characatures of bullpen guys and was a mainstay on Not Brand Ecchh in her Mad-esque style.

of course I know she is a fine artist who drew many great titles and stories. But I spoke in shorthand as to what she might have been doing for Marvel in 1964 when these covers were produced that would have given her a claim to the artwork had she been given it in the giveback program. get it?

I think her earliest pencilling chores were in the late sixties....

shes also a great cartoonist who does cool characatures of bullpen guys and was a mainstay on Not Brand Ecchh in her Mad-esque style.

I don't pretend to be a Marie Severin expert, but from what I have seen online, it looks like she was pencilling even in the 50s while working for EC. I couldn't pin down when she started pencilling at Marvel though. Maybe in some of the pre-hero books?? confused.gif