• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

White Mountain Amazing Spider-Man #28 CGC 9.0

46 posts in this topic

Marie Severin wasn't *just* a colorist. She was a penciller, inker, and letterer too. She did the art in Hulk #102, for example. She was also married to John Severin. It's possible that either Marie or John traded something to Ditko for the piece, or even swiped it from the office like people used to do back then without a second thought.

of course I know she is a fine artist who drew many great titles and stories. But I spoke in shorthand as to what she might have been doing for Marvel in 1964 when these covers were produced that would have given her a claim to the artwork had she been given it in the giveback program. get it?

I think her earliest pencilling chores were in the late sixties....

shes also a great cartoonist who does cool characatures of bullpen guys and was a mainstay on Not Brand Ecchh in her Mad-esque style.

I don't pretend to be a Marie Severin expert, but from what I have seen online, it looks like she was pencilling even in the 50s while working for EC. I couldn't pin down when she started pencilling at Marvel though. Maybe in some of the pre-hero books?? confused.gif

One point of clarification: she's not married to John Severin, they are brother and sister and worked together at EC and then at Marvel. They did the Bronze Age Kull comic together.

She did some limited penciling work at EC prior to her work at Atlas and as the 60s progressed she did Jill-of-all-trades work (inks, color, lettering, editing, etc) in darned near every Marvel title at one point or another, and showcased as mentioned in Not Brand Ecchh and in Hulk.

She's really of the underappreciated and under-recognized Bullpen stalwarts from the Silver Age!

One point of clarification: she's not married to John Severin, they are brother and sister and worked together at EC and then at Marvel.

foreheadslap.gif

Now I feel a little dirty about having written than. Ewwwwww...... insane.gif

One point of clarification: she's not married to John Severin, they are brother and sister and worked together at EC and then at Marvel. They did the Bronze Age Kull comic together.

She did some limited penciling work at EC prior to her work at Atlas and as the 60s progressed she did Jill-of-all-trades work (inks, color, lettering, editing, etc) in darned near every Marvel title at one point or another, and showcased as mentioned in Not Brand Ecchh and in Hulk.

She's really of the underappreciated and under-recognized Bullpen stalwarts from the Silver Age!

Thanks, I was about to post a clarification myself. I totally agree that she is underappreciated, as was John. Hulk went downhill after Trimpe took over, but at least for a while he tried to mimick Severin's style.

One point of clarification: she's not married to John Severin, they are brother and sister and worked together at EC and then at Marvel.

foreheadslap.gif

Now I feel a little dirty about having written than. Ewwwwww...... insane.gif

Of course, they COULD be from Tennessee, then both statements might be true!!

yeahok.gif