• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pretty new to selling comics on ebay but how come....

30 posts in this topic

Is seller feedback really important? I have just started selling and the amount of bidders who don't want to pay the full postage is unbelievable. I started to offer free postage because of this but it is now costing me more money to post. For instance I offered a comic for £2.70 free postage and it cost me £2.80 to post because the envelope had package wrote on it instead of letter, U.K rates. My mistake and I am learning but I feel it is making me more dishonest.

Is seller feedback really important? I have just started selling and the amount of bidders who don't want to pay the full postage is unbelievable. I started to offer free postage because of this but it is now costing me more money to post. For instance I offered a comic for £2.70 free postage and it cost me £2.80 to post because the envelope had package wrote on it instead of letter, U.K rates. My mistake and I am learning but I feel it is making me more dishonest.

I'm hoping you didn't mean dishonest since that's definitely not a term you want to label yourself. You will definitely be more jaded once you sell a bunch of stuff on E-Bay since you will see pretty much everything come up.

Sorry I was stating the the Amazing spider-man 1 was coverless, but the amazing annual does have a cover(split) and the amazing 5 has a cover and graded 5.0. Maybe my asking price is on the high side, but I wanted to leave negotiating room and not deal with offers lower than they're worth.

Sorry I was stating the the Amazing spider-man 1 was coverless, but the amazing annual does have a cover(split) and the amazing 5 has a cover and graded 5.0. Maybe my asking price is on the high side, but I wanted to leave negotiating room and not deal with offers lower than they're worth.

Can't have it both ways. You can leave room for negotiation but you will have to sift thru the low ball offers or you can set the price at what you think its worth and let it ride. People will still PM you with offers even if you do not set a Best Offer option but they tend to be close to your asking price since the people really want the book at that point.

With an automated system, don't take offense. Some people are using a low bid to open a negotiation and are looking for some back and forth - just starting at an aggressively low price. If it's lower than is worth your time, just ignore it and that's ok. If you want to haggle, you may end up making an extra sale or two with reasonable people. But, it's not a personal thing and I don't think most of those people are trying to insult the books - they either can't afford them and are hoping for a miracle, or they're trying to negotiate.

I agree. There are some sellers that puts OBO and they won't even bother to counter nor take a reasonable offer.

when selling something as a group, you need to ask yourself "WHY WOULD SOMEONE BUY THAT GROUP OF COMICS???" What are the odds that someone wants that specific grouping of comics, rather than singles to fill holes in their collection. If its not a run or a bunch of keys (which are nice to own or nice to read consecutively), the odds are only someone hoping to sell for profit would be interested in buying (they might keep one of the books).

OK then, now consider the margins that you think dealers/flippers realistically look for based on what they EXPECT (not hope optimistically) to sell for? Ok, now how do the offers look? Does the behavior look in line with rational behavior of the crowd we've identified trying to accomplish a fairly obvious goal, or is everyone (including me) a jerk but you?

Consider the some basic economics, people generally how you think they will if you think deep enough. Of course, the other suggestions are good too, auto-decline, etc.

I'm hoping you didn't mean dishonest since that's definitely not a term you want to label yourself. You will definitely be more jaded once you sell a bunch of stuff on E-Bay since you will see pretty much everything come up.

Quick adder - seller feedback is VERY important to buyers.

Negative feedback - is not extremely difficult to remove - so even those with 100% feedback may not be top flight - but those that drop below 98% - may not even be looked at by some.

As for shipping - make sure you are covered for whatever your shipping rates are. If someone does not want to pay the full amount - then someone else will.

Be careful with low dollar items- low vale comics are a great way to learn how to "ebay" (or other mail order sales) - but margins are VERY thin and as you discovered - they can disappear really quick. It takes the same amount of effort to ship a $15 book - as a $3 one - but $15 ones give you more $$$ for your effort.