• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Defenders

80 posts in this topic

Well, I may have made a small error in purchasing Issue #10 -- Ebay describes it as "high grade", which could mean anything (I've never bought a book from Ebay); likely it is in the VF range. Oh, well: I need only two other issues - #28 and #113 to complete the set .... Christmas is coming, though!

Thanks for the education re acronyms! I paid 40.00 for the issue; I have a line on a higher-grade, 9.2, for 150.00, but I'm fairly new to this, so I am hesitating on that one. I checked my inventory list and only have a single copy of #7, or I would have offered to work something out with you.

Very nice of you – I am not in a hurry to get that.

I’m just happy to finally have a very nice VF+, perfectly centered copy of Marvel Feature #1, and a very nice #2.

Would love a "perfect" copy of #3 but no hurry as it’s not a "key" and not bound to raise in price. :)

It’s great, but I think it is fair criticism to consider its hype is more related to the Hulk battling Thor on the cover than to anything other… :)

We know most of the early Defenders books are good and great stories, but honestly the Avengers vs. Defenders one does not particularly stand out for the storyline… rather for the excitement of seeing the heroes meet, some for the first time. I’d rather favor many issues after #20, in the Steve Gerber run… :cloud9:

Watch #4 shoot up in price once Valkyrie is announced for the next Thor movie.

Cool! It’s probably the only one which went unsold among all the "first" Valkyrie books I had in my last sales thread… hm

My #1… Not the most high grade, but will do. :)

I quite like the written arrival date on the cover.

Cqk51Qxh.jpg

Nice-looking copy. The date is quite subtle. As I said in one of the threads over in GA, in the 70s I was sent a 'mint' copy which had a very long Greek name ( can't remember it exactly) gouged across the top of the back cover in marker pen. That's my benchmark for Defenders 1, and so yours looks more than okay.

I was quite underwhelmed when I read the Avengers / Defenders War storyline, mediocre compared to Gerber's work on the title.

Nice-looking copy. The date is quite subtle. As I said in one of the threads over in GA, in the 70s I was sent a 'mint' copy which had a very long Greek name ( can't remember it exactly) gouged across the top of the back cover in marker pen. That's my benchmark for Defenders 1, and so yours looks more than okay.

You’re right, that’s the reason for which I like it… has some subtleness to it, and it3s "well written" – it also reminds you of an age where release and return information was physically written or printed on the cover, I like these things. :)

Do you still have your #1 with the greek signature? :D

Do you still have your #1 with the greek signature? :D

No. Too OCD, and too disappointed. A couple of years later I bought a nice, scribble-free upgrade.

I'm currently reading through the run taking detours as they come up :)

For example, I started with Doctor Strange 169-183, and then read Subby 22, Hulk 126 and the Marvel Features of course before digging in to the series itself. I hit Avengers to take care of 8, 9, and 10, and then again between 43 and 44 (Avengers 139-151) to take care of Hellcat. I would have read the Amazing Adventures books with Patsy if I owned them. Oh, I also hit Marvel Spotlight 12-24 and relevant Ghost Riders before Giant Sized Defenders 2 and issue 24 with good ol' Damon.

I'm currently on a rather big detour incorporating Ms Marvel before her appearance in Defenders 57. I had never read her appearances prior to Avengers Annual 10, so I figured I might as well work those in. This will include MM 1-22, Avengers 167-177, 181-200, Annuals 8 and 10, a few Marvel Team Ups and Two In Ones, and Marvel Super Heroes 10 and 11 before getting back to the series on issue 64 :)

Like I said, I'm having a lot of fun with this! I definitely appreciate The Defenders and their place in the Marvel Bronze Age! I'm not sure anything screams "Bronze Age" quite like The Defenders anyway.