• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manufactured with only one staple...

14 posts in this topic

If there are no holes where the staple should have gone, then it would be considered a production defect and not affect the grade. However, if there was a staple there and someone removed it, then that will kill the grade. It's kind of odd in your photo that there appears to be a rust stain right about where the staple would have been.

If there are no holes where the staple should have gone, then it would be considered a production defect and not affect the grade. However, if there was a staple there and someone removed it, then that will kill the grade. It's kind of odd in your photo that there appears to be a rust stain right about where the staple would have been.

.... that may come from a book beneath it in a stack...... and a missing staple, even production related, should be disclosed. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... that may come from a book beneath it in a stack...... and a missing staple, even production related, should be disclosed. GOD BLESS...

Def only one staple ever in this book. I checked the centerfold and there's no holes or anything where the second staple should have been. Seems like if it would hurt that grade if it had two and one was pulled vs. just having the one...than that should be in grader notes?

As an aside, it does seem weird that a single staple produced book is viewed as in better condition than one produced with two but now has one.

.... the school of thought is that the single staple book was that way even in "mint" condition. I've never given an intensive study to grader's notes, and with them costing now, I likely never will..... but I don't recall them ever including production defects like one staple or printer's creases. I'm not sure about bindery chips, however. GOD BLESS....

IMO CGC doesn't let one missing staple (production) affect the grade up into the lower NM range.

It can affect the grade north of 9.4 and I'd bet money that it would probably prevent an otherwise flawless book from being in 9.8 and up.

So I guess in this grade range the missing staple doesn't hurt - but I'm a little perturbed that ComicConnect didn't mention it in the item description. They called it a Fine+ which I suppose it is...but still seems a little disingenuous.

On 10/18/2015 at 8:39 AM, The Kaptain said:

Sorry to resurect an old thread but I have a similar question regarding this. What about centrefolds in GA books that were not attached at manufacturing. I have a GA book where the centrefold is loose and has no staple holes in it. Would it be the same kind of scenario in terms of grading?