• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MARVEL to create heroes for the Chinese market.

28 posts in this topic

Good, it's about time, but didn't DC or Marvel try this before and it tanked?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/report-marvel-plans-to-create-characters-for-chinese-market

At a press event promoting the release of "Ant-Man" in China, Marvel representatives told the audience it is developing Chinese characters to add to its roster of heroes and villains.

They also talked about adding Chinese culture to existing characters. Considering the Amadeus Cho Hulk, this is already happening. I'm going for a Chinese Falcon next.

Or the Mandarin wearing the Iron Man armor.

:tonofbricks:

I know tth2 lives in Hong Kong. Any other Asian boardies?

The Chinese market is a massive, relatively untapped market. Are they readers over there? If so, at triple the US population even a small percentage of the pie slice would be huge for an American company.

The Hard landing their economy has begun to go through is going to make a lot of companies pull back who were banking their future on China.

I realize that but there will always be young people with some discretionary income.

The American comic book market is nearly entirely contained within North America - sure there are a few European collectors but I'd be willing to bet that the majority of buyers come out of the odd 400 MIL people in Canada and the US.

Now image a market with triple that number. You only need a small pie slice of that market to increase market share greatly. Even if just all the libraries buy a copy (do they have public libraries in China???) you're looking at a lot of sales.

The Hard landing their economy has begun to go through is going to make a lot of companies pull back who were banking their future on China.

I realize that but there will always be young people with some discretionary income.

The American comic book market is nearly entirely contained within North America - sure there are a few European collectors but I'd be willing to bet that the majority of buyers come out of the odd 400 MIL people in Canada and the US.

Now image a market with triple that number. You only need a small pie slice of that market to increase market share greatly. Even if just all the libraries buy a copy (do they have public libraries in China???) you're looking at a lot of sales.

I still have my copy of this, that I bought about 40 years ago, if not longer.

The People's Comic Book

They also talked about adding Chinese culture to existing characters. Considering the Amadeus Cho Hulk, this is already happening. I'm going for a Chinese Falcon next.

Amadeus Cho is Korean, not Chinese.

[insert ignorant "what's the difference?" comment here]

oops. Sorry/ I just knew he was Asian. Never read anything with him in it yet to know he was Korean. Good to know tho.

Amadeus Cho is Korean & Armor from the X-Men is Japanese. So is Sunfire. Are there really any Chinese hero characters in marvel at the moment? Jubilee is Chinese-American & I believe bi-racial.

I'm wondering if Danny Rand might end up bi-racial in the TV show. Granted, might make it hard for him to be another blonde dude, but still.

[insert ignorant "what's the difference?" comment here]

oops. Sorry/ I just knew he was Asian. Never read anything with him in it yet to know he was Korean. Good to know tho.

Amadeus Cho is Korean & Armor from the X-Men is Japanese. So is Sunfire. Are there really any Chinese hero characters in marvel at the moment?

Auric from Gamma Flight

Black Widow (Monica Chang)

Blink (Days of Future Past version)

Jubilee from the X-Men

Push, a supporting character from the Spider-Girl comic book series

Radioactive Man from Marvel Comics

Red Lotus (ally of the X-Men)

Shang-Chi

Shao Lynn

Shen Kuei (a.k.a. The Cat) from Marvel Comics

Silver from Gamma Flight

Wong, sidekick and manservant to Doctor Strange

Jimmy Woo

Xi'an from X-Men 2099

Xorn from the X-Men

I meant anyone of consequence that can carry a title for any period of time beyond Shang-Chi

Jimmy Woo is one that I could see them doing something with. Chinese James Bond character mixed with a good bit of John Woo Hong Kong action cinema type character that could be really really interesting if done right.

Wait, are you talking about the movie Blink? I don't think even she's Chinese. (Maybe the actress was? I don't remember who played her), but she's definitely at most, bi-racial since her family goes back to Victorian England (one of the things I really liked about the Apocalypse vs Dracula mini-series was how much of it Generation X to Apocalypse lineage. Wish they would have done something with that)

That's what I was thinking. That Shang-Chi character. So Marvel could do a 'Shang-Chi Family' title or something. A butler, hacker niece, a party official friend, etc.

Don't they already have a Master of Kung Fu book out there as I believe I saw some on the stands when I was at one of the LCS's?

Definitely a character that could work nicely as part of the Marvel Netflix group of shows, in the mode of the following fan-made trailer: