• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Real Dealer's collection story...

26 posts in this topic

This reminds me of the time that I went to meet someone on Craigslist that had advertised a number of Marvel Silver and Bronze keys. I went to the meeting place and was standing outside ringing the bell when a couple of guys approached who were up to causing some trouble. They must have made the call as they knew I had money. They harassed me in this area as it was know that this was their marked territory. I got in one little fight and my mom got scared and said, "You're moving to your Auntie and Uncle's in Bel Air."
:roflmao:

“The mind of man is capable of anything.”

― Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Ha ha - yeah, I got a Conrad vibe too.

t5wv0.jpg

“The mind of man is capable of anything.”

― Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Ha ha - yeah, I got a Conrad vibe too.

The plot structure is pure Conrad, though the prose style is probably closer to early horror writers such as Algernon Blackwood, E.F. Benson, and William Hope Hodgson (there is a very specific Hodgon reference in it). The pulp hackery and purple prose comes easily... the trick (and fun) is in throwing in everything but the kitchen sink. Who knows what subconscious references are there, but the conscious ones include "The Maltese Falcon", Bram Stoker, "Creature From the Black Lagoon", Arthur Conan Doyle, Atlas-Seaboard comics, Uncle Scrooge (a lot), Warren publications, Val Lewton, Cave Carson, "The Man With the X-Ray Eyes", Vachel Lindsay, NM 98, Baron Munchausen (an early hint as to what was to come), and of course, a nod to various hotly-debated forum topics and Boardie in-jokes. And of course, it all has to have a comic collecting theme or it's pointless. Some intended puns and references fell by the wayside, as it was getting too long. But... maybe next year.... ;)