• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Graded Comic Damaged in Shipping

32 posts in this topic

Hey, guys. New to the boards and have been a collector for a while now. First time encountering a situation like this.

Basically I won Iron Man #55, the first appearance of Drax and Thanos, graded 8.5 on eBay for $743. Auction has free shipping, but also says expedited and Priority, both of which are important to me, especially on a high price item like this. I pay on Tuesday, October 13th, the same day the auction ends.

On Thursday, October 15th seller asks if he can mail the comic on Monday, October 19th with some other auctions that are ending. I don't mind, but "expedited" is clearly out the window now.

He ships it on Monday as promised, but it is sent Standard Post, not Priority. This worries me as I spent a not-insignificant amount of money on the book, it contradicts the auction, it has no form of insurance or confirmation, and it will not be here until the FOLLOWING Monday, October 26th (seven days as opposed to maybe three from Priority). I wait all day for a knock at the door before finally checking the tracking. Apparently the book was dropped off...IN THE MAILBOX. I'm pretty furious by now and I expect an complete mess. How on Earth did a slabbed comic fit in the mailbox?

I've included images of the package it was sent in along with what the book looked like. It was crammed into my mailbox today, along with the broken comic slab inside. My issues are pretty much as follows:

1) I don't feel like sending the book back, getting a refund, watching auctions, finding another, getting it at a similar price, etc.

2) I worry that if I send it in for regrading, it could get a lower mark (or a higher one, but the potential variance is a little scary).

3) If I keep it to get re slabbed, he should obviously cover all that, but...

4) I do think I should be compensated some for the advertised Priority shipping.

5) I do think I should be compensated some for the huge delay in receiving the product after I have to mail it off to grading.

6) I do think I should be compensated some for this entire ordeal.

Seeing as I paid $743 for the book, what's fair? What's recommended? Not sure what the best course of action is here.

Here's a gallery of the package of received, along with the comic and slab.

I would be really mad about that packaging. If I spend over $100.00, I usually message them to make sure they can ship it in a box and offer to pay extra for shipping if that is a factor. I can't even believe someone would ship a CGC book like that. Luckily it does appear that the book wasn't damaged. I have had some that were cracked and I had them re-cased by CGC. It is only around $14.00 a book but then you have the shipping and the wait again. Also, as you mentioned if they feel that the grade is different the second time around due to damage they will adjust it. I had one that was lowered a grade once because a tear was actually longer by the time it got back to them in the cracked case.

I would ask for around or at least $40.00 back so you can ship it to them and pay for the other fee and also the insurance and shipping back.

You should just return the book for a full refund.

Any other in between options open up too many angles where something can go wrong

1) book gets damaged again in shipping,

2) book doesn't come back in the same grade

3) blah, blah, blah.

There's no excuse for shipping a book that way.

What is wrong with people who ship like that.The book should have been in a box with tons of bubble wrap around it. :)

I think some people actually think that people slab books to protect them not realizing that the holder is not very protective and that it's main purpose is to be a tamper-proof holder to 'lock in' CGC's grading opinion.

There are people who don't realize what sort of forces an item in mail delivery goes through. The same type of people who write 'do not bend' on a package and genuinely think it will prevent an item from damage.

They don't realize the slab needs to be protected.

What is wrong with people who ship like that.The book should have been in a box with tons of bubble wrap around it. :)

This.

Always go over the shipping terms. Make sure your getting a box when buying a slab and its insured.

That packaging job is B.S. Send it back.

I did a search for completed sales of IM 55 in 8.5 on that date, and do not see any. A few 8.5's did sell but after the 13th and they are not old label. Does eBay pick and choose what gets included in completed sales?

I did a search for completed sales of IM 55 in 8.5 on that date, and do not see any. A few 8.5's did sell but after the 13th and they are not old label. Does eBay pick and choose what gets included in completed sales?

EBay has recently started limiting history. They probably realize they can make money selling that info.

EBay has recently started limiting history. They probably realize they can make money selling that info.

Since when? As of 10/27/15, ebay search history for IM #55 goes back to 7/29/15. The auction is right here.

Since when? As of 10/27/15, ebay search history for IM #55 goes back to 7/29/15. The auction is right here.

Thanks for finding it. My searches still cannot find it. :cry:

There was a recent discussion about it in General, wasn't there?

My searches from Canada are also limited in different ways so that may be why as well.

My searches from Canada are also limited in different ways so that may be why as well.

So, you're spouting something as fact based on a vague memory of a speculative discussion in CG?

:gossip: My first search didn't find it either, so I guessed it was a seller who didn't usually deal in comics and just searched for Iron Man #55 without the "CGC" or "8.5".

Yep, that was it. Thanks, as I guess I was too specific in my search.

Completely different thing, Roy - has to do with eBay limiting access to the eBay API data through 3rd party providers.