• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most misused comic book character?

63 posts in this topic

Of the top of my head I can think of a bunch who are badly used....

1. Wolverine - they can't decide what to do with him any more so they killed him

2. Harley Quinn - she's in everything because people adore her. It doesn't matter if the story makes any sense or has any continuity

3. Superman - He can't be Mr. Perfect anymore. He has to snap people's necks and gain a power that loses all his powers.

4. Spider-Man - A hero I wanted to be as a kid to a guy I would never want to be again after reading his current title

Spidey takes top honours for me unless some has a better candidate.

Of the top of my head I can think of a bunch who are badly used....

1. Wolverine - they can't decide what to do with him any more so they killed him

It's not so much that Marvel can't decide what to do with him anymore, they just don't want Fox to decide what to do with him.

I feel just about every character is being beaten to death for dollars...

It's almost like it's the 90's again with tons of collectors in comics speculating over anything...

The only difference is that instead of 3D holographic die-cut embossed glow in the dark covers...

There are graded books that costs multiples over the raw one.

I'm not one to complain because I'm making good money off this craze, but as a heads-up I "am" being cautious of what I buy because you never know when the reflective crash that bombarded the 90's will occur.

Not to be a JC spoiled sport, but what goes up... ya know.

;)

For me it is the Hulk.

I have been a Hulk fan for 45 years, the first comic I ever bought when I was 5 had the Hulk in it: FF 112. I loved his personality and his power, and from that point on I bought Hulk comics.

In recent years I can't stand what they have been doing, I am just so exhausted of reading all these "other" hulk stories. She-Hulk, Hulk kids, Red Hulks, Red She-Hulks. Number 1's every year, It just never seems to end.

Now the latest previews show yet another person will become the Hulk: Amadeus Cho. Seriously???

I think I will be cancelling a title I have been religiously buying for 45 years.

I think Wolverine was the top one. They turned him too much into Mr. Mentor instead of being the gruff loner that protected the kids when he had to, but also would kick Jubilee's all over the place in training & in the field when she would screw up. Daddy Wolverine wasn't really all that good of a read.

Between giving him a kid (because they always do that eventually & it neuters the character almost every time), a female clone that he had to mentor, trying to play mutant dad to every mutant teenager on the planet, and the way his like 2 year affiliation (sliding time-line-wise) with the Avengers somehow was as important or more important than his decade & change of X-Men membership in AvX all made him eminently boring. I prefer the Wolverine that passed up X-team leadership a few times because he wasn't reliable enough or didn't want that responsibility to be a face of the team.

As much as I agree with some of the other posts, it has to be Gwen Stacy hands down. I would have said that after Spider-Gwen caught on, but Gwenpool? Seriously?

how about venomgwen?

Gwenom?

As much as I agree with some of the other posts, it has to be Gwen Stacy hands down. I would have said that after Spider-Gwen caught on, but Gwenpool? Seriously?

how about venomgwen?

Gwenom?

No better than Gwenpool, I only picked on Gwenpool because she is getting her own book. :facepalm:

I think Wolverine was the top one. They turned him too much into Mr. Mentor instead of being the gruff loner that protected the kids when he had to, but also would kick Jubilee's all over the place in training & in the field when she would screw up. Daddy Wolverine wasn't really all that good of a read.

]Between giving him a kid (because they always do that eventually & it neuters the character almost every time),[/b] a female clone that he had to mentor, trying to play mutant dad to every mutant teenager on the planet, and the way his like 2 year affiliation (sliding time-line-wise) with the Avengers somehow was as important or more important than his decade & change of X-Men membership in AvX all made him eminently boring. I prefer the Wolverine that passed up X-team leadership a few times because he wasn't reliable enough or didn't want that responsibility to be a face of the team.

Bob Newhart knew that adding a kid to his TV show would kill the dynamic and destroy the show, so when given a -script where Emily gets pregnant, he said either they trash that -script or else he walks away from the show right then and there. They chose wisely.

Anyways... back to comics. Yes you're right.

Wolverine is massively over-used.

I'd also say Punisher was put on heavy-rotation as well there for a while. Someone also mentioned Deadpool - same deal.