• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

The book below belongs to a friend of mine. I've been comparing it to my own 9.2 copy since I have something that he wants and know he would agree to a trade. Both books are gorgous with almost identical eye appeal. The biggest difference is that the 9.2 has very minor technical flaws, including a stress line at the spine.

The conclusion I've come to has surprised me somewhat: I just don't think there's enough difference to justify the price difference (FMV is probably 2x, I would think). Yes, when I look at the two books next to each other I can tell the difference, but if I were to look at either of them in isolation (and without the CGC label) I don't think there would any measurable difference in how I would perceive them. It's a tough call, of course, and I might still change my mind.

In any case, I love this cover - it's really something to see it in such a nice condition.

Edit: here's a scan of the 9.2 for comparison (sorry for the quality, I don't have the book out right now). Although they look different in the pictures (which were made by different scanners), the colors are virtually identical - looks like they might have come from the same stack of file copies.

I think what you've got is an exceptionally nice 9.2. Of course many defects don't show up unless inspected up close out of the slab or mylar, but the edges are clean and the corners are sharp, and the spine looks great in the scan. If you're going to have to own a 9.2, that's the one to own!

The book below belongs to a friend of mine. I've been comparing it to my own 9.2 copy since I have something that he wants and know he would agree to a trade. Both books are gorgous with almost identical eye appeal. The biggest difference is that the 9.2 has very minor technical flaws, including a stress line at the spine.

The conclusion I've come to has surprised me somewhat: I just don't think there's enough difference to justify the price difference (FMV is probably 2x, I would think). Yes, when I look at the two books next to each other I can tell the difference, but if I were to look at either of them in isolation (and without the CGC label) I don't think there would any measurable difference in how I would perceive them. It's a tough call, of course, and I might still change my mind.

Hi tb

For what my 2c is worth:

You seem to really like high-grade Ducks like me.

Provided that you HAVE the funds to do it and doing so will NOT change your lifestyle, and you really MUST have that book, I say GO for it (thumbs u

You might not get another chance again at the Top Census copy and you'll ALWAYS be thinking about that 9.6 every time you look at that 9.2.

I always tell people ...

"Don't ever be afraid to buy the BEST, cause you'll ALWAYS be happy with it".

Of course, it boils down to $$$ ..... and I probably didn't help your decision and my 2c wasn't even worth 1c (:

- Hank

What the heck, I might as well post it here too.

One of them's a duck.

Four Color 71, loaded with Walt Kelly goodness.

FC71.jpg

Jack

I'm glad you did post it Jack. That's one I rarely see (thumbs u

What the heck, I might as well post it here too.

One of them's a duck.

Four Color 71, loaded with Walt Kelly goodness.

FC71.jpg

Jack

I'm glad you did post it Jack. That's one I rarely see (thumbs u

Thanks! More pride-and-joys on the Four Color thread.

Jack

Warning: Crappy Duck copy ahead.

Last night I re-read North of the Yukon from a copy I got yesterday. What a fun and great issue it is. It worked then and still works to this day. The Summer of 1965 must have been made sunnier to anyone reading this book. (thumbs u

77054.jpg.3e45e915d37c12b3edc0e7df1662821b.jpg

77055.jpg.654ad3f4d1ad3fff93d1d8b32b103b17.jpg

lol

Last night I re-read North of the Yukon from a copy I got yesterday. What a fun and great issue it is. It worked then and still works to this day. The Summer of 1965 must have been made sunnier to anyone reading this book. (thumbs u

One of my favorite Barks stories. :cloud9:

I`ve always been impressed that Barks was able to crank out some of his best stories in the 1960s, 20 years after he first started working on the Ducks and 15-20 years after some of his first batch of classic stories.

How many other writers in the comic book/comic strip exhibit this kind of longevity of consistency? Stan Lee, for instance, had his burst of genius in the early 1960s, and then within 5-6 years was almost not writing anymore, and certainly never reached his earlier heights. I would argue that Charles Schulz managed to stay at the top of his game for about 15 years before Peanuts started becoming a pale imitation of itself.

A few months ago, after the Scrooge exhibit at GEM ended, Steve Geppi was looking to sell the original art for the whole story through Jerry Weist. I hope it will get split up, like "The Beauty Expert" was, so 28(?) collectors each will get the chance to own a page at a favorable price. I've always avoided these late pages because they are really not that rare - at least not if Geppi would be a little nicer about sharing with the rest of us.

lol

One of my favorite Barks stories. :cloud9:

I`ve always been impressed that Barks was able to crank out some of his best stories in the 1960s, 20 years after he first started working on the Ducks and 15-20 years after some of his first batch of classic stories.

How many other writers in the comic book/comic strip exhibit this kind of longevity of consistency? Stan Lee, for instance, had his burst of genius in the early 1960s, and then within 5-6 years was almost not writing anymore, and certainly never reached his earlier heights. I would argue that Charles Schulz managed to stay at the top of his game for about 15 years before Peanuts started becoming a pale imitation of itself.

Barks is probably my favorite creator of all time, but nontheless I think there was still a big drop off in his work. his 60s material, while still good, was generally just a shadow of his 40s to mid 50s output, quality wise.

Actually one of the barks treasuries I have at home has some of barks' correspondence to a fan. In the course of corresponding with the fan barks compared his 1952(?) wdcs output to his 1962 (?) output and himself found the difference in quality 'alarming'

Three ducks came in the mail today. The FC 62 and the FC 203 are from shiverbones and the FC 386 is from GreatEscape. I was able to get the FC62 by selling some books on the BST and trading Matt a Worlds of Fear #10 and somehow I also ended up trading for the FC 386. I wasn't expecting that but I am thrilled to have all 3 of them. Thanks again guys. :)

fourcolor203.jpg

fourcolor62.jpg

fourcolor386.jpg

Barks is probably my favorite creator of all time, but nontheless I think there was still a big drop off in his work. his 60s material, while still good, was generally just a shadow of his 40s to mid 50s output, quality wise.

Sure, it becomes more hit and miss but you can't deny the talent needed to create heart-warming stories like North of the Yukon where Barks allow us a closer look at the true nature of Scrooge: the strong sense of ethics and the fierce loyalty he exhibits that many times are obscured by the superficial greed and joy of competition that seemingly drives him.

On the other hand, there are stories like # 43 I read tonight where Magica uses spells to throw tornadoes and meteors at the bin at first and then shape-shifts to try and nab the # 1 dime. **YAWN**

Sure, it becomes more hit and miss but you can't deny the talent

I would never deny the talent, the man was amazing. And he started so up so high that even after drop off it was still pretty good. But there was a drop off. Its only natural, really, and drop off or no he created more exceptional comics stories than anyone, IMO.

and yeah ;) there were definitely some yawners in the 60s work. In a lot of it (I can't take credit for this, again in that barks/fan correspondence) Scrooge is just a 'stock adventure hero' instead of the tough SOB with the heart of gold like in the early tales. That's probably why you like north of the yukon, its characterization of scrooge is more like those early tales

Three ducks came in the mail today. The FC 62 and the FC 203 are from shiverbones and the FC 386 is from GreatEscape. I was able to get the FC62 by selling some books on the BST and trading Matt a Worlds of Fear #10 and somehow I also ended up trading for the FC 386. I wasn't expecting that but I am thrilled to have all 3 of them. Thanks again guys. :)

fourcolor203.jpg

fourcolor62.jpg

fourcolor386.jpg

add me to the jealous club, I'd love to have all three of those!

fourcolor386.jpg

Unless there's something going on on the back cover, this should be exhibit #1 in the case for CGC hammering Dells and Ducks in particular. Great books CA.

fourcolor386.jpg

Unless there's something going on on the back cover, this should be exhibit #1 in the case for CGC hammering Dells and Ducks in particular. Great books CA.

On the back cover there are a lot of creases that are what definitely brought the grade down. The front cover looks terrific so I am really pleased with the book. If not for those crease on the back I probably would not own it right now. I will post an image of the back later tonight. :)