• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
17 17

8,574 posts in this topic

On 10/4/2024 at 7:27 AM, Bronty said:
On 10/4/2024 at 7:16 AM, Tom789 said:

I was out of the hobby during the Rosa period.  Is there a good article or video summarizing his era?

When it comes to Rosa just start at the beginning.    Buy US 219, 220 and 224 and see if you enjoy them.   You probably will.   Best read in order of chronological release IMO. 

Yup, and they're not pricey at all.

On 10/4/2024 at 11:50 AM, Badger said:

I still have the copy of US 219 I bought off a newsstand spinner rack in Las Cruces NM. Made such an impression on me that I have kept my complete runs of Gladstone Ducks with me ever since. I have bought, sold, bought, sold, almost ad infinitum my complete daredevil and spider-man collections but I have never sold a single Duck book I bought off the rack or in the comic store.

Same here!  Except I bought my copy at a Star & Stripes bookstore on a US Army base in Germany.  I was blown away that someone was able to come even close to Barks in both art and story, and it was clear even from that first issue that the writer revered Barks.

On 10/3/2024 at 11:50 PM, Badger said:

I still have the copy of US 219 I bought off a newsstand spinner rack in Las Cruces NM. Made such an impression on me that I have kept my complete runs of Gladstone Ducks with me ever since. I have bought, sold, bought, sold, almost ad infinitum my complete daredevil and spider-man collections but I have never sold a single Duck book I bought off the rack or in the comic store. I figure I'll be buried with them and my Groo collection. lol 

Omg 😂 I did the same.   My first copies of US 219 and 220 have “Rachel” written inside in cursive because I traded my best friend for them (Rachel was his sister).    Still have them along with all the other Gladstones and other Rosa books usually in multiples.     To go with my set or two of Groo 😂 

Edited by Bronty

The Rachel pedigree consists of 20-25 low grade Disney books bought off the stands around 1984-1988.   This example has the rare “printed” rather than cursive notation.   

Reminds me of my best friends growing up, who have now moved away, as have I.    Simple fun reading and rereading these over cereal on sleepovers.    

IMG_1562.jpeg

Edited by Bronty

On 10/4/2024 at 5:07 AM, Bronty said:

Omg 😂 I did the same.   My first copies of US 219 and 220 have “Rachel” written inside in cursive because I traded my best friend for them (Rachel was his sister).    Still have them along with all the other Gladstones and other Rosa books usually in multiples.     To go with my set or two of Groo 😂 

Multiples! Right? I was so paranoid about missing a Rosa issue that I found myself buying duplicate copies in the same month. I still have those too. :blush:

Oh you bought doubles by accident?   Heheh.   I bought mine on the back issue market; I never had more than two bucks to rub together so I only bought books I knew to be Rosa off the stands.   

When Life and Times came out that was great.    A new chapter, reliably, in the same title, every two months for 2 years.   No missing an issue.

Edited by Bronty

On 10/3/2024 at 10:00 PM, tth2 said:

Nice!  I envy those posting their copies of FC 29 here.  It's one of the Barks Duck issues I've never owned. :sorry:

It took me forty five years or so after first buying duck four colors to finally get one!! Patience!!

On 10/4/2024 at 8:07 PM, Bronty said:

OMG - I have a box of Groo as well!