• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 100

27 posts in this topic

With 'The 100' it's probably best to try and enjoy the ride. It's not hard sf. It's more dark human drama with YA underpinnings.

If you can employ 'suspension of disbelief' and forego analysis, let the momentum take you where it wants to go, it's a hell of a tale.

Know what I mean? Skip trying to figure out how a beanstalk could be so massive and grow so tall. Just climb the damn thing. See where it goes. :o:ohnoez::)

With 'The 100' it's probably best to try and enjoy the ride. It's not hard sf. It's more dark human drama with YA underpinnings.

If you can employ 'suspension of disbelief' and forego analysis, let the momentum take you where it wants to go, it's a hell of a tale.

Yeah...that's what I'll attempt to do. Although there's a big difference between hard sf and just getting things wrong because the writers have art degrees. :)

It looks like it could be good from a political perspective. And I see that they have planted the seeds of the currently super-popular theme of "survival altering one's morality because of necessity."

So I'm still watching. :)

Yeah...that's what I'll attempt to do. Although there's a big difference between hard sf and just getting things wrong because the writers have art degrees. :)

It looks like it could be good from a political perspective. And I see that they have planted the seeds of the currently super-popular theme of "survival altering one's morality because of necessity."

You hit on the main thing that kept me glued. I had to keep reminding myself throughout. Without that context, being raised under Ark mandates, it can be quite jarring. These kids ain't from Kansas.

And just for fun, a Comic Con cast photo>

The_100_Comic_Con.jpg

You hit on the main thing that kept me glued. I had to keep reminding myself throughout. Without that context, being raised under Ark mandates, it can be quite jarring. These kids ain't from Kansas.

And just for fun, a Comic Con cast photo>

The_100_Comic_Con.jpg

I've always been fascinated by that theme, and there is a lot of great SF literature out there that incorporates it. This episode reminded me of a SF short story I read as a kid, where a little girl stowed away aboard a supply shuttle that was making a run to the surface of the planet below from a ship in orbit. The pilot noticed the increase in mass, found the little girl, and was ultimately forced into making the correct decision to eject her into space. The lethal nature of "space math" meant that the added mass would have meant burning up in the atmosphere (not enough fuel to decelerate the added mass of the girl). The whole story revolved around the morality of this decision and the cold logic behind it. It was better to lose the little girl, than lose the pilot, the shuttle and ultimately the supplies he would bring on the return trip.

Environment begets very specific morality and politics. For example, our current culture which accepts 30K auto deaths a year because transportation is deemed worth it. Or accepts that a significant percentage of those deaths were caused by alcohol because it's a politically acceptable drug.

Anyway...I digress big time. lol