• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restoration or Low Grade?

9 posts in this topic

Hey all,

My very first comic book was Daredevil v1 #2, and purely for nostalgic reasons I had it signed by Stan two years ago. Of course, since it was so old (and well-loved), it came back a 2.0 slabbed, which I definitely expected. However, I've been thinking of getting it restored just so it presents better ... but I know doing that is considered "taboo" in some circles.

Seeing as I'm pretty new at this, I'm curious what the CGC board members' opinions are on restoration. Would you prefer to own a restored copy of a book or a low-grade copy, and why?

Best,

Andrew

If the book wasn't signed by Stan, I would say get it restored. Since it is I would keep it as is.

Does restoration invalidate the SS? If I have CCS restore it they can send it back over to CGC keeping SS, right?

Or do you mean I should keep it as is because Stan's autograph should stay on the original unrestored book, so to speak?

Golden Age Comics (pre-1956)

slight moderate extensive

app NM 9.4 - 0.25 0.20 0.125

app VF 8.0 - 0.50 0.35 0.20

app FN 6.0 - 0.70 0.60 0.40

app VG 4.0 - 0.80 0.70 0.50

app GD 2.0 - 0.90 0.80 0.60

Silver Age (1956-1970)

slight moderate extensive

app NM 9.4 - 0.15 0.10 0.05

app VF 8.0 - 0.25 0.20 0.10

app FN 6.0 - 0.50 0.40 0.30

app VG 4.0 - 0.70 0.50 0.40

app GD 2.0 - 0.80 0.60 0.50

These charts show the approximate vale of a restored copy to a unrestored grade. The higher the grade the bigger hit on value you will take. The basic lesson is for comics that are between 1 and maybe 2.5 if you can take them up to a 6 or even 6.5 you will get you money back or even possible increase the value of you investment with high value comics. Everything else is not worth your time or money from a retail standpoint. I looked into doing it on a comic I have that would have been worth doing. One restorer said leave it, it is borderline too far gone, and would likely not come out well. A second said he could do it, but the price was high and it would take 12 to 16 months.

If the book wasn't signed by Stan, I would say get it restored. Since it is I would keep it as is.

Does restoration invalidate the SS? If I have CCS restore it they can send it back over to CGC keeping SS, right?

Or do you mean I should keep it as is because Stan's autograph should stay on the original unrestored book, so to speak?

you can have a SS book with restoration.

I'm not sure how much restoration you're planning to do on this.. would the signature be affected in any way?

I would much rather the lower grade with no restoration - depending on how extensive restoration is and the execution quality you can substantially diminish the investment/resale value. Keeping it as is keeps more options open to you. I would only say go ahead on restoration if you plan to keep the book in your collection a long time and it would add personal value because of the aesthetics.