• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I press Preacher #1?

60 posts in this topic

Two more sellers to avoid . . . :grin: and further, anyone who purports to know what they're talking about when it comes to pressing. ('cept for Joey). :cool:

Absolutely. Only person that knows how to press in the entire world is joey. Nobody else took the time to learn.

Two more sellers to avoid . . . :grin: and further, anyone who purports to know what they're talking about when it comes to pressing. ('cept for Joey). :cool:

I find this attitude hilarious. Basically any skill can be taught or learned; if your talented and committed enough you can be a brain surgeon! But the magical, mystical talent of comic book pressing, don't bother kid, leave that to the pros.

Right, because Joey is the only guy on this board who took the time to learn how to press books.

Keep on listing your raw books as NM/MT 9.8 on eBay, buddy. :facepalm:

Right, because Joey is the only guy on this board who took the time to learn how to press books.

Keep on listing your raw books as NM/MT 9.8 on eBay, buddy. :facepalm:

And you keep screwing up the hobby. :facepalm:

I just opened Ryan's Christmas present and he snuck the graded Solar #3 in there...

:gossip:

:whee:9.8 :whee:

Just wanted to let you know. Merry Christmas!

-Justin

Ah. I'd pare my list down to one, J.

That was uncalled for.

I came through on my end of the bargain:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9064183#Post9064183

How about your donation of $1000 to the Wounded Warrior Project?

How about you go back and check your thread. Donation was made well before you "came through"

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=9058862&Searchpage=1&Main=397004&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post9058862

Ah. I'd pare my list down to one, J.

That was uncalled for.

I came through on my end of the bargain:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9064183#Post9064183

How about your donation of $1000 to the Wounded Warrior Project?

How about you go back and check your thread. Donation was made well before you "came through"

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=9058862&Searchpage=1&Main=397004&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post9058862

Good man.

I find this attitude hilarious. Basically any skill can be taught or learned; if your talented and committed enough you can be a brain surgeon! But the magical, mystical talent of comic book pressing, don't bother kid, leave that to the pros.

That's the key: "if you're talented enough."

Most people aren't talented enough. Not everyone can, or should, be a brain surgeon, no matter how committed they are, or how much school they attend, or classes they pass.

Proper pressing requires not only a specific skillset which must be learned, but also a mindset which cannot. Anyone can stick a book in a press, turn it on, and think they're pressing books.

Proper pressing, like any other part of paper conservation, takes abilities that most people don't have, and cannot learn.

And yes, there are "professionals", with websites and everything, who aren't doing the best job possible.

As the price gap widens, the attention to detail becomes more critical. A decent presser can take an 8.0 to an 8.5, or even a 9.0. A dedicated, talented, and educated presser can take it to a 9.4.

That's the key: "if you're talented enough."

Most people aren't talented enough. Not everyone can, or should, be a brain surgeon, no matter how committed they are, or how much school they attend, or classes they pass.

Proper pressing requires not only a specific skillset which must be learned, but also a mindset which cannot. Anyone can stick a book in a press, turn it on, and think they're pressing books.

Proper pressing, like any other part of paper conservation, takes abilities that most people don't have, and cannot learn.

And yes, there are "professionals", with websites and everything, who aren't doing the best job possible.

As the price gap widens, the attention to detail becomes more critical. A decent presser can take an 8.0 to an 8.5, or even a 9.0. A dedicated, talented, and educated presser can take it to a 9.4.

Since it's such a secretive skill, you really can't say any of that with certainty. You or I can go to a university to become a surgeon, most likely fail but the opportunity is there for anyone. Since its known you need extremely high intelligence, perseverance, detailed physical abilities and nerves of steel to hold someone's life in your hands. These are known skills, saying you can't learn a mysterious "mindset" doesn't prove anything. I would highly suspect if a skilled presser gave a course on the craft the percentage of capable applicants would be quite high if the majority are committed to the task.

While I don't press myself, a man has to know his limitations, I think RMA's comments ring true. From my personal experience, there is a big difference between the 'assembly line' pressers and the work of a truly talented presser.