• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman vs. Detective Comics

28 posts in this topic

Even a Amazing Fantasy #15 (1st Spider-Man) does not even exist in CGC 9.8 (neither does a Hulk #1 and these are the top 2 silver age comic books as far as value goes). I believe a CGC 9.6 sold for 1.1$ million dollars a few years back. Probably worth a lot more right now.

Like I said you can enjoy the GA and SA comics but in much lower grades and as I said there is nothing wrong with collecting the lower grades (99% of us do exactly that).

Why choose. Collect 'em both.

Ultimately that's what it's going to come to. I honestly just didn't know what made the two series different.

Just to unpack this a bit more... Detective started out as an anthology title, while Batman started as a title featuring a single popular superhero. Over the years the 'brands' of both titles have been stretched in all directions to the point where they became pretty much indistinguishable from each other, but their roots were quite different in the GA.

In very broad strokes, Detective in the SA/BA/CA tended to be padded out more with backup stories, while the Batman title *sometimes* got you more solo Batman stories for your buck. As a little kid I actually preferred Detective from those eras, because I liked Batgirl and Robin stories a lot; today I'd lean more towards the Batman title for the moodier solo vibe of the Adams era and beyond. But for sure, both titles have lots of great issues.

Detective comics in GA is more expensive by far than SA. It switches in silver age to Batman being more expensive... Same with Bronze Age.

Personally I find it easy to collect both in SA... Batman clearly being better for SA. But Detective is king in GA... In my opinion.

Better question, (maybe should be a new topic but...) I've only been collecting, at oldest, copper age and modern. Any tips of getting out of the mind set of only needing 9.8's? I know, especially with golden age, I will be looking for lower grades but it's hard. Up to this point been collecting runs of TMNT vol. 1, Harley Quinn 2000 series, and a full run of Y Last Man.

This gets really subjective, as every collector is different. For me, collecting the oldest of vintage comics and not obsessing over every spine tick and dot make collecting a lot more fun. Some early books you're lucky to find and afford in any condition at all. It's the thrill of a different kind of chase. I love to flip through raw golden age books in particular and appreciate the art and the ads and the sense of history. So I'd say, try one out and see what you think!

Amazing Fantasy #15 I believe a CGC 9.6 sold for 1.1$ million dollars a few years back. Probably worth a lot more right now.

You are very wrong I'm afraid. The second and third copies sold for substantially less.

My advice: buy what you like, not what you're supposed to.

The Neal Adams books are worth a pile more than the issues around them. They're good, but the guys who were reading at the time were mindblown by it. As a younger collector, it may not resonate for you the same way. For the price of one Adams issue, you may feel more rewarded by a few issues drawn by Infantino. Go with your gut, everything Silver and up is readily available at all times.

Amazing Fantasy #15 I believe a CGC 9.6 sold for 1.1$ million dollars a few years back. Probably worth a lot more right now.

You are very wrong I'm afraid. The second and third copies sold for substantially less.

Yes, if the exact same AF 15 copy came up for sale, it would not even come close to hitting the $1M mark.

Detective comics in GA is more expensive by far than SA. It switches in silver age to Batman being more expensive... Same with Bronze Age.

Personally I find it easy to collect both in SA... Batman clearly being better for SA. But Detective is king in GA... In my opinion.

+1

Yes, most definitely the Detective's for the GA and the Bats for the SA and BA ages, especially when it comes to the Neal Adams books.