• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gods of Egypt trailer

38 posts in this topic

‘Gods of Egypt’ Review: So Bad It’s … Just Bad

Perhaps it isn’t fair to pass judgment on a movie based on its promotional campaign, but it’ll probably come as no surprise that the first set of posters for Gods of Egypt that dropped back in November are a pretty good representation of the quality of the final film.

Gods of Egypt is a terrible movie, but it could have fallen into “so bad, it’s good” or perhaps “so ridiculous, it’s fun” territory had director Alex Proyas embraced the absurdity of the material and reassessed the tone of the film.

I wanted to have fun with Gods of Egypt, but there’s a limit to the “so bad, it’s good” appeal. For example, Jupiter Ascending isn’t a good film, but it’s still possible to enjoy watching it because there’s an intense and very palpable passion to it that draws you in. Gods of Egypt, on the other hand, feels lazy and hollow.

Grade: D+

So at least it got a D+.

theres-a-chance.jpeg

(:

Looks like it will bomb at the box office.

I kind of thought it would because when I saw the trailer at the theatre the CGI special effects looked fake,especially compared to the WORLD OF WARCRAFT trailer showed before it.

I watched this last night for an advanced Screening. It's just a CGI movie with a basic popcorn plot. Kinda the same idea with the Greek God movie that come out a while back. What you see is what you are going to get. Pretty mindless for a Saturday movie matinee if you don't have anything else to do.

And I saw Triple 9. That was a complete mess. I'd rather watch Gods of Egypt.

Not interested at all. Looks like empty, over CGI'd glitz to me. Then again, I'm not part of the dimwitted MTV crowd that this is aiming for.

THIS

It is to bad, I generally want movies like this to succeed in the hopes they will make a GOOD one some day.

Has there been a good movie about ancient Egypt in a while?

I can see studios throwing money at a turd like Green Lantern, because comic book movies, but where is the market research to suggest making this movie was a good idea?

It deserves to bomb.

I can see studios throwing money at a turd like Green Lantern, because comic book movies, but where is the market research to suggest making this movie was a good idea?

It deserves to bomb.

I thought The Mummy (the first one) was really good. Though it was a blend of past and current times. But the back story how the Mummy came to be seemed well constructed.

It deserves to bomb.

Shot in the dark but I think it's more of a following of movies like Clash and Wrath of the Titans, both of which didn't do terrible,and maybe even a bit of grown-up Percy Jackson vertical.

I also think even going back as far Lord of the Rings studios have been wanting to find fantasy franchises, but maybe got caught up with the superhero sure. I don't really think Studios feel as comfortable with knowing what Fantasy to pick up, as they do with YA stuff, which gives you a younger more forgiving base (Divergent etc) so they go back to the familiar and tried mythology angle.

There's a lot of great longform fantasy series that i'd love to see that could be several movies long but there is expense there and I'm not sure any of those series have this critical mass following to depend on. The most popular epic type fantasies just don't have the numbers that those YA books get

The Gods Of Egypt Director Just Went Off On Movie Critics

Gods of Egypt director Alex Proyas has taken to Facebook with some harsh words for the film critic community. Here’s just a small sample of his rather long-winded rant:

" …You see, my dear fellow FBookers, I have rarely gotten great reviews… on any of my movies, apart from those by reviewers who think for themselves and make up their own opinions. Sadly those type of reviewers are nearly all dead. Good reviews often come many years after the movie has opened. I guess I have the knack of rubbing reviewers the wrong way - always have. This time of course they have bigger axes to grind - they can rip into my movie while trying to make their mainly pale asses look so politically correct by screaming "white-wash!!!" like the deranged insufficiently_thoughtful_persons they all are…"

It never really ever looks good in any medium to rip reviews/criticism. It's kind of pointless too.

I like some Proyas movies, but it's not a good look. I haven't seen the film, and wasn't going to anyway, which seems to be what a lot of people are going to do,

The Gods Of Egypt Director Just Went Off On Movie Critics

Gods of Egypt director Alex Proyas has taken to Facebook with some harsh words for the film critic community. Here’s just a small sample of his rather long-winded rant:

" …You see, my dear fellow FBookers, I have rarely gotten great reviews… on any of my movies, apart from those by reviewers who think for themselves and make up their own opinions. Sadly those type of reviewers are nearly all dead. Good reviews often come many years after the movie has opened. I guess I have the knack of rubbing reviewers the wrong way - always have. This time of course they have bigger axes to grind - they can rip into my movie while trying to make their mainly pale asses look so politically correct by screaming "white-wash!!!" like the deranged insufficiently_thoughtful_persons they all are…"

He's generally right about "The Crow" and "Dark City" that reviews got better as time passed following their release. This one looks quite different from those, however. Since I enjoyed those other two films quite a bit, I'll definitely watch this one next year after it hits disc or streaming, but my hopes aren't high.