• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

0-for-22 pre-screen - Let's guess what happened... FINAL UPDATE!

84 posts in this topic

I recently submitted 50 books for a CGC 9.8 pre-screen. The first invoice of 28 books shipped a few weeks ago and my success rate was 25/28. Not too bad.

The second invoice of 22 books were being pressed by CCS and made it to CGC about a month later. According to CGC, NONE of the 22 books passed the pre-screen. :cry:

We can rule out damage by USPS because those books were in with the other batch of books that produced 25 9.8 grades. Also, I've never hit less than 60% on a pre-screen before this one.

I won't have the 22 rejects back for another couple weeks, but let's speculate on what happened to them. Any guesses?

What are the dates that the books were initially graded and the date the pre-screen was done?

IMO CGC has tightened up again recently after loosening up a hair over the last few months. They were super tight around August, loosened up a hair (not sloppy loose) and now they are super tight again.

What are the dates that the books were initially graded and the date the pre-screen was done?

IMO CGC has tightened up again recently after loosening up a hair over the last few months. They were super tight around August, loosened up a hair (not sloppy loose) and now they are super tight again.

The two invoices were done about a month apart.

At this point, two options seem possible:

A) The books were damaged, either through inferior pressing or mishandling before getting to CGC.

B) The pressing was never done.

I have a pretty good eye and know pressable defects when I see them. Some of the books, in my opinion, could have been 9.8 without a press, so it seems highly unlikely that I would go 0-for-22 on a pre-screen even if the pressing was never performed.

I'm having a real problem with the way about 100 of my books came back. Most were modern and should be in the 9.8 range but fully expected some to be 9.6's. Out of all these books only 5 were 9.8, some were 9.0 and 8.5!!!

I've been doing comics for a long long time, and in general grade my books more conservatively than CGC, but this is down right comical. Many of these books were pressed (properly) and checked thoroughly before submitting. Notes included bent corners etc. If that's the case, they were damaged by CGC.

I certainly know the difference between an 8.5 and 9.8, and especially on an easy to grade modern book.

I'm having a real problem with the way about 100 of my books came back. Most were modern and should be in the 9.8 range but fully expected some to be 9.6's. Out of all these books only 5 were 9.8, some were 9.0 and 8.5!!!

I've been doing comics for a long long time, and in general grade my books more conservatively than CGC, but this is down right comical. Many of these books were pressed (properly) and checked thoroughly before submitting. Notes included bent corners etc. If that's the case, they were damaged by CGC.

I certainly know the difference between an 8.5 and 9.8, and especially on an easy to grade modern book.

WTTB!

WTTB!

Friday :cloud9:

WTTB!

I love you

WTTB!

I love you

:taptaptap:

WTTB!

I love you

:taptaptap:

I hate yo momma