• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

0-for-22 pre-screen - Let's guess what happened... FINAL UPDATE!

84 posts in this topic

I'm having a real problem with the way about 100 of my books came back. Most were modern and should be in the 9.8 range but fully expected some to be 9.6's. Out of all these books only 5 were 9.8, some were 9.0 and 8.5!!!

I've been doing comics for a long long time, and in general grade my books more conservatively than CGC, but this is down right comical. Many of these books were pressed (properly) and checked thoroughly before submitting. Notes included bent corners etc. If that's the case, they were damaged by CGC.

I certainly know the difference between an 8.5 and 9.8, and especially on an easy to grade modern book.

This just happened to me. notes stating bent corners. non where bent ! totally miffed !

I don't mind conservative grading at all. But if a book comes back a 9.0/9.2 that was a clear 9.4/9.6 in my mind I'd just like some type of note to explain the grade. Just received back a 100 book MST submission and not one received any type of graders notes. The 10 I submitted through fast track had 4 graders notes and explained any grade lower than 9.6 very well. Maybe just a difference in graders? Idk 0/22 seems pretty rough

I'm having a real problem with the way about 100 of my books came back. Most were modern and should be in the 9.8 range but fully expected some to be 9.6's. Out of all these books only 5 were 9.8, some were 9.0 and 8.5!!!

I've been doing comics for a long long time, and in general grade my books more conservatively than CGC, but this is down right comical. Many of these books were pressed (properly) and checked thoroughly before submitting. Notes included bent corners etc. If that's the case, they were damaged by CGC.

I certainly know the difference between an 8.5 and 9.8, and especially on an easy to grade modern book.

How did you submit?

I have noticed this year that many books submitted at shows were coming back with lower than expected grades.

How did you submit?

I have noticed this year that many books submitted at shows were coming back with lower than expected grades.

I was at CGC in person. A 40's Batman got a 9.0 but my 9.6-9.8 80's/90's get hammered across the board. It has to be a different grader(s) on newer books and that's a poor business practice. It cost a pretty penny to have those books done and some hotdog thinks he can deem his new personal standard at every ones expense. If 100 people were to grade the same book and the general consensus in 9.8 why am I paying to have it come back at 9.2 and far less valuable.

I'm sure this sounds like a newbie rant but it's far from that. I've been buying and selling comics

longer than CGC has been in existence. It's just today is the the day I vent publically

This is why I don't prescreen. What did they charge you for the rejects?

No charges yet.

Is it usually $5 each now? I don't prescreen because I see the reject fee as lost money while, in today's market, I can sell almost any slab for cost.

How did you submit?

I was at CGC in person. A 40's Batman got a 9.0 but my 9.6-9.8 80's/90's get hammered across the board. It has to be a different grader(s) on newer books and that's a poor business practice. It cost a pretty penny to have those books done and some hotdog thinks he can deem his new personal standard at every ones expense. If 100 people were to grade the same book and the general consensus in 9.8 why am I paying to have it come back at 9.2 and far less valuable.

I'm sure this sounds like a newbie rant but it's far from that. I've been buying and selling comics

longer than CGC has been in existence. It's just today is the the day I vent publically

Roll with the punches and adjust accordingly. I made the change for fast tracks but I'm still getting dinged a little on slow tracks since they were submitted before I made the adjustment.

No charges yet.

Is it usually $5 each now? I don't prescreen because I see the reject fee as lost money while, in today's market, I can sell almost any slab for cost.

I know this isn't the discussion but I've come to the realization that pre-screening is the way to go. While it is true you can sell pretty much any 9.4/9.6 slab for cost you also have a ton of cash locked up in graded books and sometimes it takes awhile to sell a slab at cost (especially if you went the fast track route and it cost $30) whereas the raw books can be blown out quickly and make up for the $5 grading expense. I can definitely see the appeal being there if you go the slow boat method since the $20 cost to slab is not that much higher then the $5 fee.

How did you submit?

Roll with the punches and adjust accordingly. I made the change for fast tracks but I'm still getting dinged a little on slow tracks since they were submitted before I made the adjustment.

What adjustment? Care to share what defects you now avoid (fingerprints?).

No charges yet.

I know this isn't the discussion but I've come to the realization that pre-screening is the way to go. While it is true you can sell pretty much any 9.4/9.6 slab for cost you also have a ton of cash locked up in graded books and sometimes it takes awhile to sell a slab at cost (especially if you went the fast track route and it cost $30) whereas the raw books can be blown out quickly and make up for the $5 grading expense. I can definitely see the appeal being there if you go the slow boat method since the $20 cost to slab is not that much higher then the $5 fee.

In this scenario, even though I got a big zero for books passing the pre-screen, I'd much rather pay the $5 reject fee than $25 each for 9.6 or lower slabs. This submission was mostly books for my personal collection, so there's no way I would have been able to sell a bunch of random lower grade modern slabs.

How did you submit?

It may be interesting to break out a couple of the 8.5/9.0s and submit them in the "please grade my books" section to see what people on the boards think.

How did you submit?

It may be interesting to break out a couple of the 8.5/9.0s and submit them in the "please grade my books" section to see what people on the boards think.

I will be doing this for 2 books next week.

How did you submit?

Good idea! As a seller, I'm praised for never over grading my books. A 9.2 is a 9.2 and I won't try to sell it as anything higher. I've been using the 0.5-10 point grading scale since it came out, have used Overstreet grading guide books since day one (and I find them to be tighter than CGC grades). So I'm never blindly submitting books in hopes of a fantasy grade.

That's insane. 0 for 22. After a press :o

I recently started a thread on my recent experience and asked how other people did based on their projected rating. It seems I was about 1 grade off on the avg from what I was expecting.

The books I submitted I was really careful with from my previous experience. Again, I was 1 grade off from what I was expecting on that occasion. So it seems they tightened up yet another grade.

Very peculiar. In the grand scheme of things this just tells me books 9.4 or above can be a 9.6 or 9.8 as well on any given day if they are without colour breaking marks or dust shadows. I would be happy with a 9.4 or above coming back from them for my personal collection, but that has got to make selling anything less than a 9.8 for anything copper or later that much harder.

I just went back and checked my 9.4 from this summer and my 8.0 I just received...these are the graders notes for both...kindv wish they'd break it down a bit more since thats what we pay for ...and for reference, I don't see spine stress lines on either without glasses so it's not like one has a couple and one has multiple:

center front cover small bend

left center back cover small light finger bends

spine stress lines

spine stress lines

top front cover small bend

the top note is my 9.4..the bottom is my 8.0

go figure

Hey OP, were your submitted books modern and/or unread?

Most from the last couple of years and unread. The most common defects were light impressions that appeared to be manufacturing related.

:facepalm:

I'm sorry but this just makes me want to try the 'other guys' just to see if they agree with my own findings. I have to see at least a couple of my books when they come back and see where these bends and spine stress are.