• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Price Check: 2000 A.D. cover

26 posts in this topic

As we know there are some covers that could command good 5 figure prices

so its more of a is it under 10 or over 10K USD

if under

then which side of 5K is it, an non key characters etc are most likely on the wrong side of 5K

Some progs for example that would - to my mind - have little desirability would be like

112, 115, 118, 120 sort of covers

Joe

If having that broad of a range was helpful to you, then, mission accomplished.

It really was. That may not make sense to you, but it does to me.

IMO - only a seller today, this week, this month would want a rather specific and accurate number to hit the market with. Otherwise, that number is probably stale in a year or two anyway (but can still be extrapolated against). Right? And I lead with NFS and meant it. This piece isn't likely to hit the market for at least another ten to twenty years. And even then, while I don't love it, a lot more dross would go before an early published Ezquerra 2000 A.D. cover. So maybe add another five to ten years? Broad range = good enough.

...so its more of a is it under 10 or over 10K USD

if under

then which side of 5K is it, an non key characters etc are most likely on the wrong side of 5K...

And in my case, which side of $300-$500 is it on? For all I knew going in to this discussion today, this was one of those things that kinda doubled in value while the rest of comic art went up a lot more. There's plenty of little cubbyholes in the hobby like that, stuff that had some potential but just never really happened or didn't keep up very well. But then there's artdroids with some crazy high (relative to my limited experience) numbers out there and all sorts of awesome early Dredd pieces on CAF. Well. But my piece, not really comparable to those examples. What then to make of all that??

I'm not the "real" audience for this cover and never was, it was just a cool piece and I knew 2000 A.D. has "history" in the UK, so not a bad buy for a fair price (which is what I paid back in the day). A good bet and fun to look at too. I was throwing that sort of $300-$500 money around constantly at just about anything and everything fifteen to twenty years ago that looked fun, cool, etc, and that I could make some half-rational case for keeping up with or beating inflation fundamentally. The sort of thing you run into, put away and forget about for a long time, and it ends up okay for you in the end (equal to or better than stocks, let's say). And well...that's exactly what happened! Most of those I can handicap for 2015 exactly the way Alex suggests, all on my own, tons of comps and highly liquid markets. Just not this time. The range Joe gave me privately really surprised me and well, thanks Joe...for making my day :)

ArtDroids could be a good source for 2000AD OA prices --

http://artdroids.co.uk/

ummm...actually those are Rufuses prices and they are well above the Market at times. Of course they still get purchased - and I have brought many, but the going rates are often a lot less.

Still he had (had) amazing stuff and those could command a premium.

e.g. His Ezquerra 118 and 277 have been there forever and will continue to do so at those prices as they are not particularly desirable pieces.