• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re-holdering an Old Label slab

22 posts in this topic

I think the policy is they will do a quick check on it (to make sure the book hasn't been damaged by SCS or something else).

In most cases, they'll give you a new label/slab that matches the original grade.

I think the policy is they will do a quick check on it (to make sure the book hasn't been damaged by SCS or something else).

In most cases, they'll give you a new label/slab that matches the original grade.

So even if there is no damage to the inner plastic CGC will generally put in new anti acid paper, redo the inner casing, and print a new label?

So even if there is no damage to the inner plastic CGC will generally put in new anti acid paper, redo the inner casing, and print a new label?

That's what I've always assumed (replacing micro-paper and inner well). New label is a given

Although, I'm not 100% sure. I've never sent anything in for a re-label. I have some books that would probably benefit from it though.

This is correct.

But why not use the opportunity to resub and get a bump in grade from the strictly graded old label standards to today's not so strictly graded standards, as well as virtually an automatic bump in PQ thanks to today's CGC thinking that anything that's not brown is now "White"?

This is correct.

But why not use the opportunity to resub and get a bump in grade from the strictly graded old label standards to today's not so strictly graded standards, as well as virtually an automatic bump in PQ thanks to today's CGC thinking that anything that's not brown is now "White"?

Not quite in touch with how grades are coming out these days from the house of CGC?

I wouldn't bet an old label upgrade these days, but would love to hear of folks that are successful recently with that play.

This is correct.

I can only speak from personal experience, but I've gotten no more grade bumps on straight resubs from old labels to new than I've gotten from new labels to another new label. It's a complete myth that old labels in general were graded harder - I've seen plenty of books in old label holders that would come back lower if they were graded again right now.

The PQ thing is a different matter - PQ standards were changed when CGC switched to the new labels, so PQ bumps are almost guaranteed on old labels.

I was actually asking because I am thinking about buying a CGC graded issue that the book appears fine, but there is a crack across the back of the slab. The book has already been marked down from the full value of the issue, because of the slab problem, and even getting it re-holdered would still bring the issue in under current market value.

I can only speak from personal experience, but I've gotten no more grade bumps on straight resubs from old labels to new than I've gotten from new labels to another new label. It's a complete myth that old labels in general were graded harder - I've seen plenty of books in old label holders that would come back lower if they were graded again right now.

Don't overlook the selection bias. The books you see in their old labels today includes prescreening for those that wouldn't receive an upgrade after resubmission. It doesn't reflect the large number of strictly graded old label comics that have already been regraded since the labeling change.

That Curator Avengers #25 with the gift grade in light of the lower left corner ding? It might or might not be reholdered some day, but it's never going to be regraded.

This is correct.

I agree with this as well.

Don't overlook the selection bias. The books you see in their old labels today includes prescreening for those that wouldn't receive an upgrade after resubmission. It doesn't reflect the large number of strictly graded old label comics that have already been regraded since the labeling change.

There is 3-4 years of old labels. There is 12-13 years worth of new labels. In those 12-13 years of new labels, there are several tight phases where CGC is just as tight as they were in the tight periods of the old labels. They're tight now (in the NM range anyway, which is where most of the books I submit grade) - at least they were with my last submission. About half the books came in tighter than I expected them too. Whenever less than 2/3's of my books come in under my expectations, they are generally tight.

If you'd actually submitted and bought old label comics before the new label came along, your opinion would be fully informed.

Those that did have posted their views, and most believe that overall grading was more strict during the early old label years than during the new label years. In another thread, Barton recalled submitting over 700 comics the first year CGC was open, and how the grades differed from those of more recent vintage. His collection has been and still is filled with old and new label gems graded over the entire lifetime of CGC, making him exceptionally suited to pass judgement.

The selection bias from those who only know old label grading from the comics that have remained in old labels over time is a real, easily understood phenomenon.

If you'd actually submitted and bought old label comics before the new label came along, your opinion would be fully informed.

I did. I started submitting either just before or during the change over, but I've handled 1000's of old labels since then.

The selection bias from those who only know old label grading from the comics that have remained in old labels over time is a real, easily understood phenomenon.

If I have been handling old label comics since the early 2000's would that change your opinion?

Those that did have posted their views, and most believe that overall grading was more strict during the early old label years than during the new label years. In another thread, Barton recalled submitting over 700 comics the first year CGC was open, and how the grades differed from those of more recent vintage. His collection has been and still is filled with old and new label gems graded over the entire lifetime of CGC, making him exceptionally suited to pass judgement.

I'm not saying Barton is wrong. I am saying that there were loose and tight periods during the early years as well. It's just a much smaller sample size than we have with new labels.

So the uproar from dealers that CGC was too tight in it's earliest years causing them to forcibly loosen up never happened?

I'm speaking from the experience of resubmitting many old labels - they weren't all consistently tight.

Well, I purchased the book. Once I get my hands on it, I will see how I proceed. The book is X-Men 50 , the Steranko Polaris cover. I had sold a 6.5 to 7 raw 2 years ago, and I saw the price and decided not to pass it up, as it is one of my favorite covers of all time. It is graded at 8.0, which I know is not super high, but I got it for $90 so I could not say no. The price is at least $25 less than comparable sales with an undamaged modern label. So I figured, if I get it re-holdered I should still come out a few dollars ahead.

Well, I purchased the book. Once I get my hands on it, I will see how I proceed. The book is X-Men 50 , the Steranko Polaris cover. I had sold a 6.5 to 7 raw 2 years ago, and I saw the price and decided not to pass it up, as it is one of my favorite covers of all time. It is graded at 8.0, which I know is not super high, but I got it for $90 so I could not say no. The price is at least $25 less than comparable sales with an undamaged modern label. So I figured, if I get it re-holdered I should still come out a few dollars ahead.

.....are you married to the idea of a slab ? ..... if you're going to remove it anyway , why not save the money and just put it in a Mylar ? That's what I often do. I just slide the old label in the back for reference. As for old labels.... or any label for that matter, there's no shortcuts or rule of thumb. Each book is different. There's an old saying, "Buy the book, not the label..." which means that a discerning collector or dealer or collector/dealer hybrid should inspect each book by it's individual attributes and not take the label from ANY time period as gospel. No one will likely ever agree on what constitutes tightly graded because most of us end up disagreeing on what constitutes tight gradng in the raw arena. GOD BLESS.........and HAPPY THANKSGIVING

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

......personally, I thought old labels were tight at 9.0 and above, and weak below that level.

If you are a buyer of bronze and copper books I'd be looking for books graded over the last year. Not sure on SA and GA.

Too bad CGC doesn't put the actual date graded on their books, or is there an easy way to find that out anyway somehow? School me.

When I first subbed books I sent 24 to PGX before they changed their name and all the bad behavior was exposed. I've re-subbed many to CGC, and have always received higher CGC grades. 8.5's turned to 9.4's for a few and the rest all 1 to 2 grade bumps.

With the new current CGC grading I sent in a PGX TOS 36 8.0, and it came back CGC 8.0. All my other subs came in lower than historically expected too...I had a CGC 8.0 before that I traded away as I knew my copy was hands down better....now by the numbers its the same...wish I still had it to show comparative images. Night and Day.

If I thought the grades were correct and not über tight, I'd just suck it up and send in a handful of key bronze high grade books, but I see no reason to send them in just so they are out there in 8.5-9.4 slabs waiting to be cracked and re-subbed into 9.4-9.8's during the next grading phase.

You can use the verification tool on their site to find out when it was graded.

Thanks

Now I just need to date gap the changes...anyone

Then always remember to buy the book not the slab.