• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheap, yet cool, Golden Agers?

47 posts in this topic

I picked up my first GA book on eBay and was suprised to get a pretty cool L.B. Cole cover in decent shape for so cheap. I have been looking through my Photo-Journal for other titles like that, nice covers that aren't too expensive. So far I have decided to pick up some more crime titles and Animal Comics 17-24 (I love those Pogo letterboxed covers). Any suggestions? confused-smiley-013.gif

Try Famous Funnies (spaceman covers)

The Frazetta covers? Would love to but those guide for over $100 even in 2.0. Well out of my range....for now.

King Comics? I looked them up in the journal and they are Popeye covers. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Tarzan was on a lot of covers of Tip Top Comics. Tip Top starred United Features Syndicate characters like L'il Abner, Nancy, and later the Peanuts gang. (You won't find any of the United Features strips in King Comics, which naturally reprinted only KFS strips.)

You will also want to check Sparkler Comics for a few more Tarzan covers.

tarzan readers from the 50's are not expensive. some of them have cool painted and phot covers.

ditto for a lot of four colors out there

later issues of Popular Comics aren't expensive

ditto "Heroic Comics"

maybe you wouldn't think of them as cool, but in low grade some of the barks ducks book aren't expensive and have fun covers

tarzan readers from the 50's are not expensive. some of them have cool painted and phot covers.

ditto for a lot of four colors out there

later issues of Popular Comics aren't expensive

ditto "Heroic Comics"

maybe you wouldn't think of them as cool, but in low grade some of the barks ducks book aren't expensive and have fun covers

I love Carl Barks. I have maybe 15 of the Gladstone library editions and the Uncle Scrooge Another Rainbow hardcover set. Thanks for the suggestions so far, I will check them out....and keep em coming. thumbsup2.gif

"Cheap, yet cool, Golden Agers?" according to me, in five installments,....You be the Judge!

Fight Comics # 2 Eisner/Fine cover. Grade Good. Price $ 118.00 (tape and small pieces out front cover.)

fight2.jpg

popcorn.gif

gossip.gif also got Adventures of Rex the Wonder Dog # 6 , VG ($62.00)B-Bar-B Riders # 14, Fine + ($95.00) and Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reinder 1955-56 VG/F ($62.50) for 30% off.

Me Happy! thumbsup2.gif

BTW- these were all purchased at my LCS with no negotiating or bickering. The discount policy was "purchase $300.00 or more and take 30% off". Books marked "No Discount" not included.

That's pretty much what I am talking about. Great buys (esp the Fight 5). I would love to pick up a Fine cover while I am saving up for a copy of Fantastic 3 wink.gif. I will have to search for an overlooked and undervalued issue...

That's pretty much what I am talking about. Great buys (esp the Fight 5). I would love to pick up a Fine cover while I am saving up for a copy of Fantastic 3 wink.gif. I will have to search for an overlooked and undervalued issue...

thumbsup2.gif

Now consider this:

What will the same money buy you for a CGC 9.4 book? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

popcorn.gifjuggle.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Now consider this:

popcorn.gifjuggle.gif

I consider that every time I laugh at someone buying a post 1980 CGC 9.8 or above....and why I don't bother buying HG.

sumo.gif

If collecting is a form of mental illness, high grade buyers are the equivalent of schizophrenics.

thumbsup2.gif

Now consider this:

popcorn.gifjuggle.gif

I consider that every time I laugh at someone buying a post 1980 CGC 9.8 or above....and why I don't bother buying HG.

sumo.gif

"Brother, you are Preaching to the Chior now!" thumbsup2.gif

I'll take a lower-grade Golden Age book over a "High-Grade" Silver/Bronze/Modern Age book any day of the week! hi.gif

Anyone want to trade their lower-grade Golden Age for VF and above Silver/Bronze/Modern? PM me! popcorn.gifflowerred.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Now consider this:

popcorn.gifjuggle.gif

sumo.gif

I'll take a lower-grade Golden Age book over a "High-Grade" Silver/Bronze/Modern Age book any day of the week! hi.gif

Anyone want to trade their lower-grade Golden Age for VF and above Silver/Bronze/Modern? PM me! popcorn.gifflowerred.gif

Don't get me wrong, I love you HG collectors to death....you take the focus off the stuff I want. cloud9.gifflowerred.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Now consider this:

popcorn.gifjuggle.gif

sumo.gif

Don't get me wrong, I love you HG collectors to death....you take the focus off the stuff I want. cloud9.gifflowerred.gif

Why,....um,....er,.....Yes! But of course,......High-Grade is "Where it's at !!!!" makepoint.gif

Nevermind what I said,......... sorry.gifdevil.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Now consider this:

popcorn.gifjuggle.gif

sumo.gif

Why,....um,....er,.....Yes! But of course,......High-Grade is "Where it's at !!!!" makepoint.gif

Maybe we should delete our posts? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nah. Like I said before, HG is the severest form of the mental illness know as collecting and without proper medication it's almost impossible to stop.

thumbsup2.gif

Now consider this:

popcorn.gifjuggle.gif

sumo.gif

Maybe we should delete our posts? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nah. Like I said before, HG is the severest form of the mental illness know as collecting and without proper medication it's almost impossible to stop.

Now you've done it !!! God have mercy on your soul !!!