• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheap, yet cool, Golden Agers?

47 posts in this topic

I'd be happy to add commentary. Want to see what the Mile High copy looks like?

I hate you!,........yes, please,.....

I'll put it up Monday -- as long as it is okay with Scrooge.

Christo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gifChristo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gif

thumbsup2.gif It's fine with me, Adam. Are you kidding ... I'd love to see that one AND I love every contribution you've made to "my" thread AND I'd love to make Fuelman wait for it too devil.gif.

Why, I oughta,.... stooges.gifpoke2.gif

hi.gifflowerred.gif

I picked up my first GA book on eBay and was suprised to get a pretty cool L.B. Cole cover in decent shape for so cheap...Any suggestions? confused-smiley-013.gif

I won 6 books today - these 2 guide for $65 and I paid $30.

bcat44.jpg

Black Cat Mystery #44 - has story w/ eyes, ears & tongue cut out

myst8.jpg

Mysteries Weird & Strange #8

I picked up my first GA book on eBay and was suprised to get a pretty cool L.B. Cole cover in decent shape for so cheap...Any suggestions? confused-smiley-013.gif

I won 6 books today - these 2 guide for $65 and I paid $30.

bcat44.jpg

Black Cat Mystery #44 - has story w/ eyes, ears & tongue cut out

Wow. 893applaud-thumb.gif Awesome pickup on that Black Cat, looks like the colors are still really bright. I would have bid had I seen the auction. I decided to start buying the issues of Animal Comics (Walk Kelly art) with the picturebox/inset covers (17-24). They are cheap and the run is only 8 issues, so it will be a nice modest goal. I picked up a G+ copy of number 23 this weekend. I wasn't sure if I would be satisfied with low grade issues, but so far I don't mind at all.

I love to buy lower to mid grade golden age... you can get some very cool books for not a lot of money! Here are some of my recommendations:

Fiction House titles are very cool and not all that expensive, especially Jungle and Jumbo. Rangers and Fight have some nice covers too. Planet Comics are great looking, but generally much higher in price than the other titles.

File0001.jpg

File0002.jpg

The Dell Giant Tarzan's Jungle Annuals (as well as other Tarzan books) sometimes have awesome painted covers, yet are not very expensive.

File0004.jpg

Look for off-beat titles that have cool covers... you might be surprised!

File0003.jpg

These books are from the 50's, not the Golden Age technically, but still very old and lots of fun to collect.

Those are awesome books, especially the Weird Thrillers! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks! Here are 3 more in the same category as those above:

File0007.jpg

File0006.jpg

File0005.jpg

...and every book I've posted so far in this thread cost me less than $50 apiece, some as low as $15!

PS: You can probably tell I like animal covers and jungle comics... smile.gif