• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade this Fantastic Four #25

35 posts in this topic

I think you guys are being too hard on the book just because of the rusted staple. I don't see any migration of rust, so I don't think it'll get hammered too much below the 5.0 level. The rest of the book is fairly tight, with only one real long crease. To me, the spine looks consistent with the VG/FN grade range.

Yes, the apparent looseness around the top staple bothers me more than the rust, actually. If the staples were clean and tight it'd be an easy 4.5.

Yeah, but can't a 3.5 be completely detached at one staple? This one has some staple tears, but it's nowhere near detached from what I can see.

Yeah, but can't a 3.5 be completely detached at one staple?

I would say yes, but only if the book were of a much higher grade overall. According to OS, the cover may be loose at the staples, but not detached; a centerfold may be detached at one staple, though.

Books in the VG range are tough, because this is where the loosely-defined "accumulation of defects" criteria come into play. This particular book has a lot of flaws consistent with VG+ to VG/FN, but how many of those flaws should we allow before dropping the grade a notch or two?

Even after reading the comments, I maintain my first opinion of VG+ and no lower than VG certainly. The defects are there but on the whole the book is solid for this range and the back cover is nice.

Yes, the apparent looseness around the top staple bothers me more than the rust, actually. If the staples were clean and tight it'd be an easy 4.5.

VGP - don't you grade everything a 4.5? 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

3.0 sumo.gif perhaps a 3.5 gossip.gifThat rusted top staple is a killer IMHO confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, OS says staples can be discolored in VG but can be rusted in the 3.0 grade so 3.5 might be about right 893scratchchin-thumb.gif